Lead Free Dual Deployment Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

Since starting the thread, have you made any progress finding a lead free DD altimeter?

Thanks, but remember-I didn't ask for RoHS compliant, I asked for "lead free".

Based on the comments from two people with knowledge of such things (John and Cris), it sounds like RoHS compliant may be the best you can do. It also sounds like that equates to "as little lead as absolutely possible"

-Kevin

I know. That's what I was pointing out for those who were saying, "Oh, such-and-such product is RoHS-compliant". That doesn't necessarily mean that they're lead-free.

Good luck with your search. For what it's worth, I'll check the parts that go into the Eggtimer to see if they are all fully RoHS-compliant (vs. RoHS-compliant by exception). We do use leaded solder paste to reflow-mount the baro sensor and the memory, because it melts at a lower temperature and is easier on the parts and the board, but if I can snag a small amount of unleaded paste I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

Thanks, but remember-I didn't ask for RoHS compliant, I asked for "lead free".

Brian,

Since starting the thread, have you made any progress finding a lead free DD altimeter?

Yes, I'm awaiting confirmation from AED on the R-DAS being lead free and I got a custom quote from John on the MARSA54L.

I know. That's what I was pointing out for those who were saying, "Oh, such-and-such product is RoHS-compliant". That doesn't necessarily mean that they're lead-free.

Good luck with your search. For what it's worth, I'll check the parts that go into the Eggtimer to see if they are all fully RoHS-compliant (vs. RoHS-compliant by exception). We do use leaded solder paste to reflow-mount the baro sensor and the memory, because it melts at a lower temperature and is easier on the parts and the board, but if I can snag a small amount of unleaded paste I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

Got it-thanks for looking into.

I've heard that all lead free altimeters use uranium as a replacement. It glows in the dark and is really cool for night flights! (sarcasm).

Unless you plan on eating your altimeter, you are talking such a low level that it's not really an issue. Or do you expect all your altimeter flights to crash in a wildlife refuge?

I've heard that all lead free altimeters use uranium as a replacement. It glows in the dark and is really cool for night flights! (sarcasm).

Unless you plan on eating your altimeter, you are talking such a low level that it's not really an issue. Or do you expect all your altimeter flights to crash in a wildlife refuge?

Again, "low level" is relative. I work in an industry that deals with parts per billion and they do everything to minimize-wether it's an issue or not. Not saying it is an issue for me, I'm just looking for a lead free. I don't expect them to crash, I'm simply looking for a lead free one.

Tough crowd here on TRF, you think I was demanding that a law be passed so only lead free altimeters were used in rocketry. I was simply asking if an option is available.

Last edited:
What are you going to use for wire to connect to the altimeter? Or is the concern only with the solder in the altimeter. Lead compounds are frequently used in the colorants used in the insulation. I don't know if any of the commercially available initiators use RoHS compliant wire.

What are you going to use for wire to connect to the altimeter? Or is the concern only with the solder in the altimeter. Lead compounds are frequently used in the colorants used in the insulation. I don't know if any of the commercially available initiators use RoHS compliant wire.

Fair point. Yes, there is usually some lead stabilizers in the PVC insulation on the wiring, probably less than 1%, except for RoHS compliant wire. The solder is 40% lead. That's my comparison.

Once one has a lead free DD altimeter, is there a lead free tracker, GPS or RDF that's out there? Unless one is going to limit motor size,
gotta find the rocket or the risk of losing that lead-free altimeter goes way up. If one can find and recover the rocket and/or it's payload, will limit lead exposure to the environment. Kurt

Once one has a lead free DD altimeter, is there a lead free tracker, GPS or RDF that's out there? Unless one is going to limit motor size,
gotta find the rocket or the risk of losing that lead-free altimeter goes way up. If one can find and recover the rocket and/or it's payload, will limit lead exposure to the environment. Kurt

One could certainly build a Rocket Track or Eggfinder with lead free solder.

If a lead free remedy can be had that won't dork SMT stuff then that's acceptable. Kurt

I don't know what you mean with that statement.

But the unknown are the modules that both use. On the Rocket Track, the xbees and bt modules are rohs compliant but it doesn't say anything about lead free. I don't have one in front of me at the moment so I can't see if it is or not. The gps on the mini tx appears to be lead free and there is a statement in the data sheet about only using lead free solder.

I don't know what you mean with that statement.

But the unknown are the modules that both use. On the Rocket Track, the xbees and bt modules are rohs compliant but it doesn't say anything about lead free. I don't have one in front of me at the moment so I can't see if it is or not. The gps on the mini tx appears to be lead free and there is a statement in the data sheet about only using lead free solder.

In a nutshell, "heat". Low temp solder is supplied with the EggFinder and I believe is contains some lead. If there is a low temp lead free solder available then one doesn't have to worry about component damage. Through hole components I believe are a bit more resistant to heat application
as I can attest to some of my successful kit building endeavors from years ago. If I'm not mistaken, lead free solder may take a higher temp to melt?

If cost is the issue then I would think a lead-free option would have a market for those who don't mind paying a premium. Kurt

In a nutshell, "heat". Low temp solder is supplied with the EggFinder and I believe is contains some lead. If there is a low temp lead free solder available then one doesn't have to worry about component damage. Through hole components I believe are a bit more resistant to heat application
as I can attest to some of my successful kit building endeavors from years ago. If I'm not mistaken, lead free solder may take a higher temp to melt?

If cost is the issue then I would think a lead-free option would have a market for those who don't mind paying a premium. Kurt

baloney. you aren't going to damage the parts by using lead free solder and an iron. you are only applying heat for a few seconds at most.

I am simply amazed that BrianUrocket asked for a simple answer about obtaining a lead free product, said he didn't want to get into a discussion about lead or opinions on lead and here it is! Jeez can't we just give him the answer he wants or suggestions on how to get it without flaming the guy? He WANTS a lead free altimeter... and doesn't care to hear others opinions or suggestions. He said this in his first post!

My 2 cents.

BrianURocket:

I got some lead-free solder paste, I'm going to see how it works out in the reflow oven with an Eggtimer board. Note that the PC boards that I have in stock are standard HASL finish, which is lead-tinned. However, I believe I have a few lead-free prototype boards, PM me if you would be interested in a lead-free Eggtimer kit and I'll see what I can come up with.

Got it-thanks for looking into.

Thanks to the original poster for this thread. While I know there are arguments from both "sides" - and I agree that this thread is not the place for them - I appreciate the discussion. This is something I never really considered.

I am curious as to why it's an issue but am too lazy to look into it. A small reasoning why would help. I am not asking anyone to defend their position but a little insight for the uninitiated would be cool.

... a little insight for the uninitiated would be cool.

There has been an effort to remove lead from solder since at least the 70's, coinciding with the removal of tetraethyl lead from gasonline and lead pigments from paints. Only recently have rules and certifications been put in place (RoHS). I work in electronics manufacturing for high-rel devices where we still have to use tin-lead eutectic and I know there are health concerns with vaporization of minute amounts of lead, tin-lead eutectic splash and slag being haz-mat, solder paste contamination, etc, etc, etc.

The argument for leaded solder has to do with tin whiskers. Without opening up a bag of solder-geek snakes, let's just say there are alternatives that have similar melting points.

BrianURocket:

I got some lead-free solder paste, I'm going to see how it works out in the reflow oven with an Eggtimer board. Note that the PC boards that I have in stock are standard HASL finish, which is lead-tinned. However, I believe I have a few lead-free prototype boards, PM me if you would be interested in a lead-free Eggtimer kit and I'll see what I can come up with.

PM sent

There has been an effort to remove lead from solder since at least the 70's, coinciding with the removal of tetraethyl lead from gasonline and lead pigments from paints. Only recently have rules and certifications been put in place (RoHS). I work in electronics manufacturing for high-rel devices where we still have to use tin-lead eutectic and I know there are health concerns with vaporization of minute amounts of lead, tin-lead eutectic splash and slag being haz-mat, solder paste contamination, etc, etc, etc.

The argument for leaded solder has to do with tin whiskers. Without opening up a bag of solder-geek snakes, let's just say there are alternatives that have similar melting points.

No seriously, I find that interesting. I've thought the use of lead/tin or what have you was because it was cheaper than alternatives but it can occur
with lead too. Lead was added to tin to cut down whiskering.

Whiskering is an interesting phenomena: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)

The mitigation metals look pricey but the bottomline is I don't think my device is going to last that long. I can see the point if there's no lead in it, there's
no disposal problem at end of life (or crash):jaw: Kurt

Thanks for the peek into the world of solder.

BrianURocket:

Most board houses these days are doing lead free by default. HASL is a process (hot air surface leveling), not a material, so your existing bare boards may be lead free already. Would be worth checking the CoC's you got with the boards, or reviewing the standard specs for your board house. With boards like you see in rocketry, lead free shouldn't be a problem to assemble. As long as you're building to IPC class 2 or better, lead free shouldn't have any reliability problems either. Mostly it's thick ground traces, poor thru-hole sizing, and big heat sucking parts that tend to cause issues. Thru-hole is where we see the most problems, but again it's when you have bit thermal areas drawing heat away that it happens. A well designed board usually is fine with just some more top side pre-heat before hitting the wave. As long as you're building to IPC class 2 or better, lead free shouldn't have any reliability problems in rocketry.

Even though you've only got two SMT parts on the eggtimer, I'd still take the safe route and check the datasheets on their thermal limits. Then on your reflow profile you'll need to bring your preheat temp up quicker and hold it longer. 305 bridges more and costs more, 100c needs a hotter temp but costs less, it's the flux choice that makes the biggest difference in solder joint quality.

Last edited:
Back