Now THIS would be a cool upscale!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I agree with. How would you make the nose cone.

I think you could put a couple layers of 1 oz fiberglass over a plastic plate to get the radial pattern. I'm sure the captain will think of something.

Last edited:
The nose wouldn't be too hard; you could do it with a 1-piece mold.

167-large_default.jpg

Changeling the subject, It would have to be perfect... otherwise it should just be sterilized.

spock_nomad.jpg

I will cut the fins and parts if someone can help with the in mould. How big?

The Nose Cone reminds me of Chicken Pot Pie. It's a Swanson Satellite!

Pot pie.png

Last edited:
I was thinking about turning the central dome part of the nose on my lathe. That would be what ejects. Then make a shroud and glue half-round strips on it to replicate the grooves. Not sure how that would turn out. A 3D printer would probably give the best results, but I don't have access to one. I'm going to order the kit so I can get a better idea of the details, and also see if I can scan the decals.

There is a build blog here:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/09/custom-nomad-build-part-1-parts.html

That kit is on my to buy someday list. I need to get through my build pile first. Maybe I should add it to my secret santa wish list...

Looking forward to seeing an upscale. (You know you're going to do it. You wouldn't have started a thread about it otherwise. :tongue:)

How big you gonna make it Captain?

Hmmm. Real quick calculation tells me that upscaling to 7.5" diameter it would still only be 45.25" tall.
This really could be fun. Next thought, what size motor mount, 54mm ?

How big you gonna make it Captain?

Well, I'm not planning on building it yet. Mostly just a thought experiment right now. 4" tubing would make it 24" tall, and 5.5" would make it 33". And as kpotter pointed out, 7.5" would make it 45".

Hmmm. Real quick calculation tells me that upscaling to 7.5" diameter it would still only be 45.25" tall.
This really could be fun. Next thought, what size motor mount, 54mm ?

I hadn't really thought about it, but 54mm would be good for 7.5" and 5.5", and probably 38mm for 4". The problem is going to be the center tube. 7.5" outer tubes work out to 4.5" inner tube. 5.5" works out to 3.35", and 4" works out to 2.43". None of those sizes match standard tubes. But I suppose 4" would be close enough for 7.5"; 3" close enough for 5.5"; and 2.63" for 4".

I started playing around with this in Open Rocket, but I'm having some trouble. I had to fake the aft outer tube by making it an inner tube. I also had to make the inner tube an inner tube, but you can't add fins to an inner tube. So I had to add the fins to the forward outer tube, and push them down all the way to the back. But then this threw off the position of the fins, which should be attached to the 2.56 inner tube below the aft outer tube. It also threw off the tabs. Anybody know a better way to do all this?

View attachment Nomad_4in_2.56in.ork

Found your upscale's .ork file...

Here's my mod's to it.

Nomad_4in_2.56in (Mod).jpg

The trick to OR is to remember that it doesn't know how to treat an exposed inner component as a body tube. My solution, break up that part into its exposed and hidden components.

The rods are simply solid "launch lugs" made of "pine" and attached to a phantom body tube that is the ID of the larger tube less twice the thickness of the rods. This phantom tube is .000001" (0.0") long, and 0.0" thick. and made of "air".

Attachments

• Nomad_4in_2.56in (Mod).ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back