Remembering AIRFest XX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory

Reaction score
Definitely a little late, but keeping with the "back it up with data" montra I've seen around in more than one thread I wanted to recap my AFXX flights. First though, I want to sincerely thank anyone and everyone who has made such a fun event possible for 20 years running! Not great with names, but did enjoy putting a few faces to TRF handles including Wayco, Sharon, and andrewlathrop87.

Friday
FLIGHT 1 - MadCow HV ARCAS - CTI I566-VMAX - SL100 Apogee @3244'AGL. - View attachment HV Arcas I566 Vmax Airfest XX.pf2
My first VMAX motor, and I decided with the low winds and low expected altitude to fly without a tracker. BIG mistake with VMAX, I don't think I took a breath until hearing the main fire and getting a directional bearing. Great flight and recovery with no damage. SO..

FLIGHT 2 - MadCow HV ARCAS - CTI J410-RL - SL100 Apogee@ 6970'AGL - View attachment HV Arcas J410 RL Airfest XX.pf2
The original plan called for the 6GXL equivalent red motor to go supersonic, but eventually decided to settle for my first mile AGL with a case I already have. Everything went great, but on recovery I discovered some damage to one fin that will need a little epoxy before the next flight.

Volunteered Friday afternoon for pad manager, and was surprised how much fun it was. A great excuse to talk rockets and meet fellow flyers. If you have ever thought about volunteering and haven't, DO IT!!! It is a worthwhile and rewarding way to show your appreciation.

Saturday
FLIGHT 1 - RW FORMULA 98 - AT K185-WLB - SL100 Apogee@ 4082'AGL - View attachment Formula 98 K185W Moonburner.pf2
The weather Saturday morning was great, and seemed like the perfect time to put up a long burn with ~4.75 thrust:weight. The almost 7 second burn didn't disappoint, and the onboard video captured the flight for many MANY reviews of my first attempt/success with a K motor. Great flight recovered with no damage.

FLIGHT 2 - RW FORMULA 98 - AT K1103-X - SL100 Apogee@ 6259'AGL - View attachment Formula 98 K1103X.pf2
Definitely my fastest flight to date, according to the SL100 transonic, but other threads over barometric based velocity calculations lead me to think the actual flight was not that fast. Due to an unfortunate issue with the launch controller, I did not see the flight. I use 1515 buttons on this rocket, and the only 1515 rails available at the time were the 70's pads, when the button was pushed for a rocket on the 80's pads both it and mine took off. The in flight video proves I won the impromptu drag race though :rolleyes:. As soon as I figure out how to edit and post videos, I will share. Fortunately the rocket landed nearer the flight line than its original takeoff position, so in my book all is well that ends well. For the record, Bob Brown was nice enough to personally apologize and explain what had happened even though all ended with no incident or hard feelings.

FLIGHT 3 - MadCow Tomach 54 - CTI K590-CDT - RRC3 in AF possibly in pieces - Simulated Mach 1.3/16700'AGL
With the weather forecast showing winds all day Sunday and Monday, I decided to go for my first MD attempt. I believe one or more of the four wires facing directly down (2xBattery,2xSwitch) on the 50+G liftoff came out of the terminal causing altimeter power failure and the subsequent ballistic impact 0.6 miles ESE of takeoff. The BRB900 lost lock during acceleration, but required at ~11000'. The LARGE difference in the next data packet 5 seconds later gave me the chills as I realized it was coming in hot. 10 seconds after that realization the last data packet ever by that BRB was sent from 70'AGL and was close enough for me to find the carnage. I was happy the fincan survived the flight stresses, but the rocket was a total loss.

From this:

To this with only a picture of a smoke trail in between.
TOMACH Carnage 1.jpgTOMACH Carnage 2.jpg

Overall, AIRFest XX marked several personal firsts and bests, many new names and faces, and so much fun I already put in the paper work for a Labor Day vacation 2015!

To this with only a picture of a smoke trail in between.

Overall, AIRFest XX marked several personal firsts and bests, many new names and faces, and so much fun I already put in the paper work for a Labor Day vacation 2015!

Sorry to hear about the need for excavation. Sadly, I've had to do the same in Argonia.

Glad to hear you had a good time and are coming back for more!

-Kevin

The Rocket Pasture has claimed more than one rocket in that manner.

Yes I have been involved in projects that have "stuck the landing" too!!!

I have not had to dig one up, but have had the same type of "reentry". This year, two different rockets, landed in two different trees, and we know how many trees are at Argonia.

I too have had to go purchase shovel at Walmart (back in Wichita) and return to Argonia for an excavation -- humbling.

Hey Cory it was nice meeting you and hope we can hang out a little more next year. If I get down Amarillo way I'll look you. Too bad about your Tomach, that was a beautiful rocket.

Sorry to hear about the need for excavation. Sadly, I've had to do the same in Argonia.

Glad to hear you had a good time and are coming back for more!

-Kevin
The Rocket Pasture has claimed more than one rocket in that manner.Yes I have been involved in projects that have "stuck the landing" too!!!
I too have had to go purchase shovel at Walmart (back in Wichita) and return to Argonia for an excavation -- humbling.
I have not had to dig one up, but have had the same type of "reentry". This year, two different rockets, landed in two different trees, and we know how many trees are at Argonia.

Thanks for the comments, it helps ease the pain to know I've joined such an elite group. It was definitely humbling, I fancied myself proficient with a shovel...after clearing the plowed top layer....:sigh: Made two trips and about 3 hours total of what I felt like was some of my best shoveling.....:sigh:

Those who have been there know, the following layers that have been packed by innumerable passes with large equipment does not give up easily.

I did find another rocket that had a similar "reentry" (had to use it) on the way back from shoveling, the only thing showing was fins, pulled out most of a beautiful 38MD orange and black rocket complete with an AT case. I left it at the RSO table and marked the GPS coordinates of the beeping hole from whence it came.

Hey Cory it was nice meeting you and hope we can hang out a little more next year. If I get down Amarillo way I'll look you. Too bad about your Tomach, that was a beautiful rocket.

It was nice meeting you too and thanks for the compliments. Feel free to stop by anytime. Hard to beat good buddies,BS, and BEvERages at the Rocket Pasture.:cheers:

Last edited:
Back