New ARM core Arduino compatible data logger coming soon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. It does not appear to control recovery. I wonder if they used another altimeter for that.

They say they plan to add access to the remaining IO pins, it would be pretty simple to add a few mosfets to handle ejection. When it hits Kickstarter I'll have to back it to get one.

To be offered on Kickstarter in about a month.

[video=youtube;mibHgib7Rh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mibHgib7Rh8[/video]

Oh. I didn't see a price. That's five times the price of my most expensive rocket. The way they were talking I thought they had figured out some way to bring the price to somewhere about half of that

I think it's going to be awhile before this works its way into our world. The functionality is certainly there, and the price is fair for what you're getting, but it's beyond what most people need and are willing to pay for.

Since we're on the subject of new technology, take a look at this:

https://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/WiFi-Serial-Transceiver-Module-w-ESP8266-p-1994.html

Now shipping from the Chinese vendor of your choice... this is going to be big.

$149 is a few bucks cheaper than a Raven. Not a lot of avionics boards have accelerometers, and the Altimiter2 tops out at 24 gees. I'm a data-lover -- add ability to fire deploy charges, and this sounds damn compelling to me.

The $149 is basically just a sensor package, you'll still need something to wrap around it, plus the software of course. I can see this being the beginning of a very sophisticated telemetry package, and there are certainly those out there who would be willing to pay for these capabilities. I think it's beyond what 90% of the hobby rocketry community need or are looking for, but the other 10%... well, they're the ones that spend the most money, a fact that will surely not be lost on some developer out there.

$149 is a few bucks cheaper than a Raven. Not a lot of avionics boards have accelerometers, and the Altimiter2 tops out at 24 gees. I'm a data-lover -- add ability to fire deploy charges, and this sounds damn compelling to me.

I think it's going to be awhile before this works its way into our world. The functionality is certainly there, and the price is fair for what you're getting, but it's beyond what most people need and are willing to pay for.

Since we're on the subject of new technology, take a look at this:

https://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/WiFi-Serial-Transceiver-Module-w-ESP8266-p-1994.html

Now shipping from the Chinese vendor of your choice... this is going to be big.
Lots of data from the Apollo (named that because of its 11 sensors). I'm after the flight attitude data, achievable right now as far as I know only with the TeleMega ($400) or the EasyMega ($250). The Apollo is $149 (intro) which is an incredible price for something with all of these sensors, especially including the outstanding GPS module they use. Max G force measurement will probably be as limited as the Altimeter II since I don't recall off the top of my head a three-axis accelerometer with a higher max-G rating being available. I know high-G single axis ones are available as used in the TeleMega, EasyMega, and others.

The more detailed description of the Apollo in this video:

https://youtu.be/N6n8BnA0fd0?t=8m7s

shows connectors where MPU ports, etc., will be made available for daughter boards (shields) and interfaces. Since this device is Arduino compatible, uses open software, and is intended to be a multi-use sensor system not just for rockets, there might be a significant amount of software designed for it, not only system software but apps to present the sensor data in graphical form. We'll see how much interest there is in it with the number of pledges in upcoming Kickstarter campaign. In that video, they say they've already produced a single all-in-one Arduino library to allow the easy use of all on-board sensors and they demoed graphical display software for recorded and/or transmitted data.

More on the other mentioned hardware goody, the ESP8266:

https://hackaday.com/2014/08/26/new-chip-alert-the-esp8266-wifi-module-its-5/

Last edited:
Looks like they are launching on a CTI 03400 based on the specs in the video, and because it looks like Imax.

So, I've looked at everything offered by the company, and I am really excited by this offering. If you're serious about getting data, this package will be very capable for future expansions.

This could be the answer for a lot of desired capability in sophisticated rocketry. For $149, you buy the sensor group. I can see this becoming the "standard" central hub, and within the hobby we get some innovators to make daughter boards to do various tasks. First would be a deployment and ignition daughter board, next would be a GPS transmission board, and then we'd get a full telemetry arrangement to view real time data. Then, we'd get a data acquisition board to log motor pressure from a pressure transducer located on top of the motor.

The capability is awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on one to play around with. The main concern at the moment is the rating of the accelerometer. Judging by their example flight (Min diameter 98mm O3400IMax), I'd assume that the chip has better than 24g capability. If they pegged the accelerometer, they seem like the kind of group that wouldn't settle, but I could be wrong. My secondary concern is mounting it inside of a rocket, as they only appear to have two through holes.

$149 is an incredible deal.

So, I've looked at everything offered by the company, and I am really excited by this offering. If you're serious about getting data, this package will be very capable for future expansions.

This could be the answer for a lot of desired capability in sophisticated rocketry. For $149, you buy the sensor group. I can see this becoming the "standard" central hub, and within the hobby we get some innovators to make daughter boards to do various tasks. First would be a deployment and ignition daughter board, next would be a GPS transmission board, and then we'd get a full telemetry arrangement to view real time data. Then, we'd get a data acquisition board to log motor pressure from a pressure transducer located on top of the motor.

The capability is awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on one to play around with. The main concern at the moment is the rating of the accelerometer. Judging by their example flight (Min diameter 98mm O3400IMax), I'd assume that the chip has better than 24g capability. If they pegged the accelerometer, they seem like the kind of group that wouldn't settle, but I could be wrong. My secondary concern is mounting it inside of a rocket, as they only appear to have two through holes.

$149 is an incredible deal.
Just did a quick google search for high-g three axis MEMS accelerometer and found this which from the copyright on the datasheet has apparently been around since at least 2012:

https://www.analog.com/en/mems-sensors/mems-accelerometers/adxl377/products/product.html

"The ADXL377 is a small, thin, low power, complete 3-axis accelerometer with signal conditioned voltage outputs. The ADXL377 measures acceleration resulting from motion, shock, or vibration with a typical full-scale range of ±200 g."

and this one around since 2013:

https://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM89/FM89/SC444/PF253712

"The H3LIS331DL has dynamically user-selectable full scales of ±100g/±200g/±400g and it is capable of measuring accelerations with output data rates from 0.5 Hz to 1 kHz."

Since the Apollo is intended for many applications, I wonder if they'd chose to sacrifice the finer g-force resolution to be had with lower-g-limit sensors just to satisfy HPR levels of g-forces. I kinda doubt it, but let me ask to see if I can find out for sure.

If they make a daughter board for staging or recovery hardware I could see this device as being a great all in one for staged rockets. Could possibly prevent ignition if beyond or within programed angle/altitude… As a person just getting interested in staging, and a bit paranoid about it, I will be keeping my eye on this product. I think 149.00 as a retail price is better suited though. Especially if they are trying to keep it open source to help promote development.

If they make a daughter board for staging or recovery hardware I could see this device as being a great all in one for staged rockets. Could possibly prevent ignition if beyond or within programed angle/altitude… As a person just getting interested in staging, and a bit paranoid about it, I will be keeping my eye on this product. I think 149.00 as a retail price is better suited though. Especially if they are trying to keep it open source to help promote development.
They said in the video that they're not only working to make it even smaller (! - they're already using a 6-layer board with 200 components in 2 sq.in.), but also cheaper to make. Depending upon how many buy into the Kickstarter campaign, an even cheaper retail price might be possible.

I'm thinking about developing a little IMU of my own. I decided the best method would actually be two accelerometers. At high g you don't care too much about precision but at lower values precision is more important.

I'm going to buy an Apollo for sure and I'll be happy to design a staging board.

looks awesome, exactly what i want for a recording board, i was just looking into making my own with a GPS Arduino Board and then 2 Accelerometers, one which is on an IMU with a baro, gyro, mag

The Carbon Origins rep on reddit answered my question about the flight computer:

Will you be producing any daughter boards/shields for pyro events? Dual Deploy, etc? Should I start designing one?

Do you guys need an engineering intern? :D

Yes, we are going to be designing a dual deployment rocket flight computer mod! (It might have more features than just dual deployment though)
Email us at [email protected] or PM us for more details.

If you want to design one, go for it!

Yes we are actively hiring. Email us!

The Carbon Origins rep on reddit answered my question about the flight computer:

This is great! I think the #1 daughter board will be a dual deployment board, and then a GPS transmission board. If they can do that, then it's a complete system.

Make it APRS to a Ham receiver and you're good to go, no ground station required.

I just want an inexpensive dual deploy board that has accel and Bari and records

Back