Hand made carbon tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker050608

Reaction score
I know a few people have suggested a review for the hand made tubes that Alex made.

Upon first glance, the tube looks factory made. Very smooth glossy finish. Ready to accept primer or just fly with the beautiful carbon pattern we all love. View attachment 184948

The two foot, 4" dia section I received is 1.010 lbs.
The dimensions are as follows:
OD-4.029"~4.040"
ID-3.887"~3.901"
Wall thickness- 0.74"~0.79"
Length-24 1/16"

There were very few flaws that I could find in the construction. I have a particular eye for detail and the flaws can't be seen. Unless you're looking for a perfect carbon fiber pattern (which I think would be a waste of time trying to do). ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411345126.703412.jpg
There is a slight flat spot here on the overlap. Nothing to fret about though.

I also measured the flex of the tube with a hand press. Basically the same concept as a torque bar for automotive except it works like a vise. The amount of force needed to flex the tube was just over 60lbs!

My over all opinion of this tube is that Alex has made a very good product and really pays attention to the little things. If and when I need another carbon tube made I will get ahold of him. 5 stars.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411346041.090521.jpg
Not sure why this didn't show up the first time.

60lb, is that from a three-point-bend? How uniform is the wall thickness?

Wall thickness is pretty uniform. +\-
.03 inches. Which is about the same, if not less than any manufactured tube.

And not a three point, just laid the tube on it's side and put the press to it. As if someone were to accidentally step on it.

Joker,

I want to thank you very much for this review. I hope this will make people confident and secure when they purchase one of my custom tubes. I will still be sharing the method of making a tube or other parts. I feel this hobby could use some more dedication.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Not a problem at all Alex. I aim to help those when I can. Although most ppl don't want the help. I hope that you continue to make these tubes for everyone that is in need. Wether it be time or money that is holding someone back from making their own.

Back