Low power electronics deployment.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal8472

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411340788.012764.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411340803.454924.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411340814.926641.jpg

My latest rocket. It's a low power D plugged to experiment with electronics deployment. I set up the nose cone to be removable so that I can check on the electronics while on the pad. Not much room other places. I have not seen others like it so I thought it good to share.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Interesting approach! I like the removable nose. A few questions, though: 1) I see three terminals and a single charge well... how are you planning on initiating the charge? Why three wires? 2) What kind of electronics are you running in there? I'd like to see how you have the sled set up, battery, etc. 3) It's difficult to see but do you have the static ports drilled yet? What size did you need?

Later!

--Coop

Hi.

I was thinking starting with single charge in the well. Electronics I am experimenting with is the half oz timer from rocket reviews.

Three posts are enough for two separate charges if I use common ground. Or I could use the U post as a forth. Choices

As for the electronics bay I will rig something up once electronics done.

Last edited:
Aaah---okay--a common ground makes sense.

Later!

--Coop

That nose cone looks really heavy. Are you concerned about overstability and weather-cocking?

It's not going high enough to do much weather cocking. And at the moment the nose is quite light. The fins are laser cut plywood which I like for sturdy ness. The weight also helps over stability.

I realize this is old but took a while to get a flight out of it. I used a Perfectflite altimeter and it did not work. I did not get to the minimum 160ft required, which I knew from the OpenRocket simulation. But did not notice the minimum on Perfectflite until I reread the manual. Going to try with a strait forward timer instead. Lesson learned, the manuals are good and worth reading.

A timer? Why bother? You might as well use ejection delay on the motor... I'd go with a bigger motor...

If it were me, I'd go with a 24mm AP motor. Might as well make the DD worthwhile.

If it were me, I'd go with a 24mm AP motor. Might as well make the DD worthwhile.

One of those newfangled Aerotech F44-8 motors might just be perfect. They are just-barely "F" class at 41Ns. A bit more than double the performance of the Estes D12.

If you have room for a longer motor - an F32-8 might be even better.

Next step is a 29mm motor mount and using aerotech composites. Thanks for the variety of good suggestions. Looking to find an inexpensive motor option so that I can practice dual deployment on the cheap. The body is a standard BT80 so I have lots of room.

A timer? Why bother? You might as well use ejection delay on the motor... I'd go with a bigger motor...

Timers are fun, they also are very simple. I really want to use the half ounce timer (from rocket reviews) but having a few troubles with my components. Got some new ones and it son the list to try out. Two of these together makes dual deployment possible on a very tiny platform. But yes, not necessary, just fun.

If you stick with the 24mm motor tube, just make it long enough to use the AeroTech 24/60 case.
That F35W they make for that case is real nice for rockets such as yours.

Back