Sanding fiberglass couplers made easy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnly

Reaction score
Ever have a fiberglass coupler that was just too tight? Sure we all have. I’ve machined them with a diamond tool on a metal lathe, sanded for hours, but I just found the item that is both inexpensive and wonderfully effective.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-2-inch-x-6-inch-diamond-hone-blocks-36799.html

I drill mounted one of my motor cleaning brushes and snugged the fit with a couple wraps of a towel.

Placed a old dishpan full of water and a dash of soap under the brush/ coupler assembly for use as a carrier/cutting fluid for the diamond block.
I dipped the “blue” diamond block in the water then placed it lengthwise on the spinning coupler moving it slowly longitudinally along the coupler stopping every 30 seconds or so to wash the diamond block and coupler of removed fiberglass.
The 6” working length reduces dips and high spots on the coupler, and the final finish is ready to use. Suddenly this fitting task was reduced to mere minutes and the finish with the “coarse” blue diamond block was smooth enough that it was ready to use without going to the finer blocks.

The blue block is way too coarse for kitchen knives, so keep the blue block with your rocketry tools and move the yellow and red diamond blocks to the kitchen where they do an excellent job sharpening cutlery.

John

Sanded for hours,seriously?? I have a mounted belt sander/disk sander. Never takes more than 15 minutes at most to get a stubborn coupler to fit.

I like your approach- using a relatively slow cutting tool and turn the workpiece. Like with a lathe, you will not risk flat spots and unlike with a 3k rpm belt sander you won't have things happen too suddenly.

N

Back