Grandson(s) build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronKnees

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Dave AKA IronKnees... Just thought I would show off a couple of kits my two 9 year old grandsons and I are working on together... Grandpa' got a little carried away when Estes had their big sale... Boy! How could you not, eh? Anyway, I have a Super DX3 just about ready for paint, and the boys aren't far behind... I built a Leviathan, a Big Daddy and a Ventris this past week... So, here are a few pics.

10672322_10204953405100795_8264416410349666752_n.jpg Nathan 09-19-2014.jpg Untitled-02.jpg PHOTO 1.jpg Nathan 09-19-2014.jpg

Awesome, Dave! (great name by the way...) It's always gratifying to see the smiles on a kid's face while holding a rocket. Keep up the sterling work and send us launch pics!

Way to go Ironknees! You get "Cool Granpa" points for that! I don't have any kids myself, but over the years I have had a couple of nephews that got to build and launch with. They are all grown up now. My big brother on the other hand, he had 5 grand kids. He passed away a few years ago. The kids ranging now from 7 to almost 10 all love to launch rockets with me.

I hope it sparks an interest in science or engineering. If nothing else they are getting to learn how to build things and spend some quality time me. :)

Enjoy!

Jerome :)

Way to go Grampa! :)

Looking forward to your launch report - with lots of pictures :cool:

You got some great kits there, and it looks like a nice fleet. When are you going to fly them?

g force another good flight [video=youtube;OtExlgcghBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtExlgcghBs[/video]

Man that was some next level weathercocking!!! :D :D :D good for a nice low deployment haha. great to see more people building and flying with their kids/grandkids!

Man that was some next level weathercocking!!! :D :D :D good for a nice low deployment haha. great to see more people building and flying with their kids/grandkids!

Ya I know I thought it was little windy lol an though it would come back but walked a while to get it be the last time I do that lol haha we all do messes up's :/

Wildbill you might want to get a 6 or 7 foot rail to launch the G-force and use rail buttons, it might stop the weathervaning.

The way the rocket takes off at such an extreme angle and then you step into the camera frame looking off in the far distance, it looks like you're shooting at an enemy!

"Did we hit 'em! Grandpa?"

"Can't tell, Junior. Better load up another one."

Thats a cool spot you got there for launching rockets, by the way.

Last edited:
I angle it that way because i thought the wind would bring it back i Was way off :(

Tip: When my dad got me started in rocketry as a kid, he always used to angle rockets INTO the wind, similar to what you did.

But, a properly designed and statically stable rocket will actually almost always turn itself into the wind a bit, because of the relationship between the center of gravity (CG) and center of pressure (CP) on the airframe. Here's a good link from NASA that explains the phenomena: https://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/rktcock.html

I've stopped doing any angling tbh... Especially with heavy rockets that I know are prone to weathercocking, I don't want to help it along, haha. :p

Back