Retainer installation instructions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When installing Aeropavk retainers it is clear to use JB Weld. When installing Estes retainers instructions state to use epoxy. I just installed my Estes retainer with 30 minute BSI epoxy and added milled fiber glass for good measure. It set up quite nicely. I guess my only concern would be the heat factor and if it would weaken the bond?

The cases are made out of alinum so I'm guessing that would help displace the heat. Has anyone installed the Estes retainers with epoxy and any issues with this process?

Thanks on advance

That is my understanding. Aeropac is metal, it will dissipate too much heat to the epoxy for regular epoxy to hold. As a result, JB Weld is the recommendation. Estes are a plastic which is far less conductive so there isn't the heat concern with the epoxy.

I have always used JB weld on both Aeropack and Estes retainers.

The only reason I have the JB weld is for the Aeropack retainers, so I figure it should work for the Estes plastic ones too. I can't think of a reason not to use the JB weld.

I have several 24mm & 29mm Estes retainers on my rockets. Epoxy is fine... never an issue. Be sure to raise your model well above the blast deflector so your motor's flame doesn't cook your retainer and rocket. This is the only reason you might need something like JB Weld... even so, your body tube, bulkhead and MM tube would be toast if you get to extreme temps were JB Weld would be required. Folks are simply over-thinking/ over-building for the most part. I call "BS" on those saying you need JB Weld. All the other components can't take the heat JB Weld would be required for.

Do what makes you happy. I suppose, though highly unnecessary, JB Weld couldn't really hurt. Just don't make BS up trying to sound superior.

Jerome :)

I've flown my Mega Der Red Max on H motors. Used the Estes retainer with epoxy to build it and have had no issues.

Back