Looking for a tall kit that flies on 38mm.....suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjohnson

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been browsing through all of the different rocket vendor webpages and haven't found what I'm looking for, so I thought I would pick the brain of our collective here.

I am looking for another high power. I want it to be tall though, like 6' or longer. Dual deploy would be nice.

Not that I don't have enough rockets in the build pile, I would just like to do another high-power. I want to keep it at 38mm because I have a number of 38mm motor casings, and would like to keep the cost down.

What are your favorites or suggestions?

I really like the Eradicator from Sirius, but it's not 6' tall. :)

Eradicator1LG.jpg

Scratch build=3 full length 2.6 LOC/PML/BMS tubes sleeved inside with couplers. Run a full length motor tube as a stuffer in the bottom section and go dual deploy. Viola! The Aerotech ripoff Mirage II...jes sayin'......

That's pretty close to what I did with my Norad when converting it to DD. It's now 20" longer than it was.

If you like the Eradicator, upscale it or stretch it. Scratch building something is not that hard.

If you want tall, the PML Black Brant X is massive at almost 9' tall, and flies really well on 38mm I motors. Here is mine on an I327:

032.jpg

Estes mean machine and put a V max motor in it and look out for falling parts.

Sirius Eradicator really has a unique look, and I am unaware of anything similar that is 6'+ so I will +1 on stretching it. That would be really cool, and unique.

You might want to look at Public Missiles, they have the "kwik switch" motor mount which would allow you to use your 38's now, but not prevent you from going to 54's in the future. Or, you could even use one of the 54 single use motors like the I65 :grin: if you ever get the urge to air it out.

I have been looking at the endeavor, which is just 1" short of your 6' criteria, and looks really cool IMHO
https://publicmissiles.com/pml/images/EndeavourDataSheet.pdf

They also have the Eclipse which is 7' tall:jaw:
https://publicmissiles.com/pml/images/EclipseDataSheet.pdf

Among others. Don't limit yourself to just looking at 38mm kits. 54's can always be adapted down. Binder Design has several cool kits in the 6'+ category.

You cant go wrong with a Basic Blues 3 from Always Ready Rocketry. The tubing is tough as nails, the kit is excellent (get the Dual Deploy).
I have copied the official stats. Mine is DD and has a 54mm mmt. It has flown H225 2gr 38mm through 54mm 6XL L265 10 second burn to 15,000ft.
You could do L1 on it single deploy, all the way to nearly L3!

Specs:
3 inch airframe
38mm motor mount (54mm available)
1/4 inch 5 ply aircraft plywood
63 inches long
Approx 42 ounces
Recommended motors – H128W (with 29mm adapter) to J510W

Scratch build a minimum-diameter Mean Machine-esque rocket...

Polecat Raven. It is 67 inches long to start with and by adding an ebay and and an extra tube to make it dual deploy capable it will end up over 7 ft long. You could fly it stock with motor deploy or stretch for dual deploy. It will fly well on most of the 38 mm engines out there. My son won one at a raffle at LDRS 29 at Jean NV and it has a bunch of flights on it.

https://www.polecat-aerospace.com/kits/3_inch_kits/raven.html

Contact them about the options for a stretch version.

I Got my L2 on the Rocketry Warehouse X-celerator. While it has a 54mm mount, I used an adapter down to 38mm. It is almost 7' tall

Xcelerator.jpg

I just ordered the Public Missiles Endeavour. Looks like a good way to get into 54mm, but still use my 38mm hardware and get good flights. Now, dual deploy, or not dual deploy....that is the question.

I just ordered the Public Missiles Endeavour. Looks like a good way to get into 54mm, but still use my 38mm hardware and get good flights. Now, dual deploy, or not dual deploy....that is the question.

Cool! Looking forward to the build thread now.:wink::wink:

Or at least video of the first flight

The Eradicator looks so cool, would love to see an upscale project of it.

Back