OK Fellow Rocketeers- Support Needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheepdog

Reaction score
My Wife is ready to have me committed, I have 40+ rockets in my fleet, and I can not stop Buying, Building and Launching.
I believe it is what's called an obsession...And since I joined a club this year, I just love building and launching rockets, everything
from A10 to mid power G80's. Looking to get L1 certified this fall.

Please let me know that there are other obsessed rocketeers out their so I can prove to my wife that
I am not the only nut about this hobby. I just turned 60, but am having a Blast(No pun intended), my man cave has every rocket I
have built and flown.

Keep Calm and Launch On!!!!!!

Kevin

My Wife is ready to have me committed, I have 40+ rockets in my fleet, and I can not stop Buying, Building and Launching.
I believe it is what's called an obsession...And since I joined a club this year, I just love building and launching rockets, everything

Please let me know that there are other obsessed rocketeers out their so I can prove to my wife that
I am not the only nut about this hobby. I just turned 60, but am having a Blast(No pun intended), my man cave has every rocket I
have built and flown.

Kevin

My wife understands that my obsess--- er, 'hobby', is a better alternative when compared with treatments for stress, ulcers, and perhaps therapists or counselors.

Seriously, life can be stressful. Having a constructive, non-medicinal outlet to clear one's mind is valuable.
Lobbing a few pounds of handmade effort in the air at nearly the speed of sound is a great way to let off steam.

No, you're all alone. None of the rest of us have any more than four rockets and none in the build pile...............

I am there with ya, my response is that it is cheaper and safer than going to the bar and drinking every weekend. AND it is exercise to walk out to the pad load a rocket, Cardio bump at launch and then more walking to get the rocket. It is a win win!!

How many pairs of shoes, or collectables does she have? Is that her hobby? It is a two way street. Ask her if she would like a rocket to launch. Then buy her one and teach her how to build it.

80 built mpr+. Hundreds of apcp motors, twice as many bp motors. Hoarders anonymous.

My wife spends no money on herself. So for her, the fact that I blow money on hobbies is hard to accept. I have to really control how much I spend. If I had unlimited income, I'd be building more, experimenting more, and traveling and launching more. But I am trying to learn to temper my spending. :(

I'm in!

Got hooked about 2 years ago... No official counts, although I have a log of all rockets, and launches. I simply refuse to count how many I have. That act would make me admit I have a problem.

~25 LPR
~10 MPR
~2 L1 HPR (w/ another being currently built, and a strong obsession to continue to look for more to buy).
~0 L2 HPR (but one is being built!)
~0 L3 HPR (but everywhere I look I see excellent building materials for a future attempt).

Luckily my wife is supportive. Heck, we will be out a the DARS launch tomorror.

ENJOY THE RIDE!

Should have had her sign a pre-nup....lol. No seriously i agree with everyone else, for me it is my therapy and "my alone" time. But if am fortunate to have a "Rocket Friendly" wife and she goes to the launches with me and even ask me to buy her a rocket so she could get her Level 1 Cert. Just got to be "thrifty" when getting your fix to your addiction, and trust me it is, I know. Good luck to ya......just remember the higher the cert.......the more cobwebs in the wallet...lol

I actually am having trouble... I don't see a problem here. Is there a problem?

.... I have 40+ rockets in my fleet ....
So that means you are just starting in rocketry. :wink:

I probably have at least that many in the repair queue and close to that many in the paint queue.

My problem now is finding space to put them all.

Last edited:
I have 40+ rockets in my fleet, and I can not stop Buying, Building and Launching.
I believe it is what's called an obsession...
Kevin

Nope Nope Nope. Definitely not an obsession.
A mere pittance Just a small dribble into the ocean of rocket collecting

You've got a loooong way to go before you can claim an obsession

Believe me - I've got a few more than you and won't claim an obsession
Of course, I am in complete denial of my problem :wink:

No, you're all alone. None of the rest of us have any more than four rockets and none in the build pile...............
LOL! I tried that one time. By the painful ear method we toured the house ending up in the master bedroom/bathroom. She announced "See any rockets here?" I said "No." She looked me in the eyes and said with a bizarre sparkle in her eyes "And there won't be-ever-unless you want to enjoy this room by yourself." Yup every room. and I 'd forgotten about the stash in the kitchen...dammutt!

How many pairs of shoes, or collectables does she have? Is that her hobby? It is a two way street.

Spoken like a man that never tried to actually rely on this argument! :facepalm:

Trust me, pointing out her supposed flaws to justify your own will result in crash and burn. The best advice to a man about to wed is, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you... "

One mom wisely advised her son, "if you can't say anything nice, buy her some flowers."

My wife understands my two obsessions, beer making and rocketry. I let her go to TJ Maxx and I get to enjoy my hobbies. Remember, as far as money goes, what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers. 25 years and counting! Seriously, it is my stress release and creative outlet as well.

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

have built and flown.

Kevin

I have over 100 rockets and parts for 50 more and no wife...see how that works?.... ;)

I have over 100 rockets and parts for 50 more and no wife...see how that works?.... ;)
hmmm-maybe time to put a rocket in the bedroom. I could live on fast food from 7-11, hire a maid, leave the toilet seat up, sand in the living room. 'cept I'd get cold at night-dang!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!! I turn 60 in February and what you have is a pittance. I've been back in rocketry for 18 years, have worked up to level 3 (that was an expensive proposition) and my garage and two bedrooms of our house are stuffed with rockets and motors. I too enjoy working with large and small rockets and use various sizes in education/outreach activities in the area. The new Estes Blenders are a great way to start a demo launch. Big of small, I love them all.

I am actually afraid to figure out how much $ I have involved in this hobby.k The only saving grace is my wife is heavily involved in Department 56 houses and has just as extensive a collection. In fact, we lose our dining room from mid-September until January when she sets up her holiday displays.

hmmm-maybe time to put a rocket in the bedroom. I could live on fast food from 7-11, hire a maid, leave the toilet seat up, sand in the living room. 'cept I'd get cold at night-dang!

Meh, all easily accommodated, even the last....I bought an electric blanket :D

Yes, you do have a problem. At 40 rockets, you've barely attained the level of "hobbyist". When you have more motor cases than you can possibly know what to do with, 2 boxes of various altimeters and timers, and your garage looks like a missile silo, then you *might* be on the verge of "obsession".

However, I'm sure that everyone here will agree that we are not obsessed with this hobby, and that could quit at anytime. Right, everyone?

Oh yeah. Got some bigger motors. You'll thank us later. (BTW-I'll turn 60 next Feb. myself)

Phil L.

have built and flown.

Kevin

Tell her you know a wife that has at least twice that many in her fleet and she should join you in the hobby.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoken like a man that never tried to actually rely on this argument! :facepalm:

Trust me, pointing out her supposed flaws to justify your own will result in crash and burn. The best advice to a man about to wed is, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you... "

One mom wisely advised her son, "if you can't say anything nice, buy her some flowers."

I have never had a problem, and been married for 28 years.
She has her jewelry, I have the rockets. She has her shoes, I have our rockets.
She has the 4WD SUV that hauls our rockets to launch, no problems!
She gets flowers. She likes shiny things, I build her shiny rockets! No problems here.

I want Thank all of you that took the time to respond to my call for support. Wife was very impressed with the responses in support of this great hobby.
I will be moving forward will more purchases and will be going for L1 certification next month.

Launch On my fellow Rocketeers, Many Thanks

My problem is I build more than I launch. But hey, this darned drought isn't helping. And good luck on your L1!

You could offer to trade in your rockets for a sports car, a mistress, and a gambling problem.

I don't have a lot of rockets ... but I do have no credit card debt. Zero, none. Credit rating of 837 last time I looked. I donate over $20k a year to my church and other charities. I'll have my mortgage paid off in four years, and when my two kids get old enough to go to college, they'll each have their four-year degrees paid for. So I have nothing to complain about.

Back