Upscale Flutter-By?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screaminhelo

Shade Tree Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
So, this is the evolution of the tumble recovery thread that I started a few days ago. I played around in OR and scratched out a design to explore the idea of a BT-80 design. I did sell out on the idea of TTW fins and the 3/32 basswood fins are a compromise to save weight. I am still learning how to design with OR and I believe there are some mistakes in the plan because I had to jump up to an E motor to get it to fly. My gut feeling is that it shouldn't take that much to lift it. OR says it weighs in at 9.47 oz. without a motor. I may have made a mistake somewhere with material specifications. I also realize that there is weight to be saved paring down some of the structure. I have a redesign in mind that would cut some weight in the upper body by being a bit more true to the original design.

Here is the current version. I welcome your comments, suggestions and critique.

View attachment Flutter-By Up Scale.ork

only thing i notice off the bat is that your second set of fins are cardboard and not basswood... also look at using more presets but it looks ok... I also have never built the flutterby so the back end is a mystery to me.

Thanks for the catch! It'll add more weight in the wrong place but definitely has to be fixed. It just seems like it should not require an E motor to launch. Hopefully I'll be able to redesign the connection between the fuselage halves over the next couple of days. I would love to get this to work on a D. It may require a scale down for that though.

Back