No more sticky fingers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of out there have worked with thin CA... I mean who hasn't right? Aside from gluing parts and fingers CA can be used in refinishing balsa parts such as nose cones, transitions and fins.

Not 20 minutes ago my fingers were stuck together trying to coat a balsa nose cone I'm working on for my MADCOW Batray kit. You hold the nose cone in one hand and drip some CA on it and spread with a cotton swab. Yeah and you end up getting it on your fingers and in most cases places where you don't want it.

Here's a quick fix - Take a piece zip bag or a similar piece of plastic and tape to a flat surface. Pour several drop of thin CA on to the plastic bag. Starting at the tip of the nose cone dip into the CA and rotate it around until you cover the section. Tilt the nose cone down further to get the area below the tip. Keep lowering the nose cone until you completely cover it. Since my nose cone required some weight in the tip I currently have a wood dowel epoxied into place so its easier to turn and it keeps my fingers away from the CA.

No pics for you guys on this technique, but I'm sure you understand it.

What's nice about this procedure is 1) your fingers stay away from the CA and 2) You get a really nice and even coat over the entire surface without any high spots.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

I wear Nitrile Gloves and just spread the Thin CA with my Gloved Finger. As long as you keep moving the Glove does'nt adhere to the Work Surface.

Back