SCOTLAND FOREVER!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited to hear the results, I hope they break away.

Ireland is the country that needs to break away from the U.K.; get British soldiers out of Ireland. That way British soldiers don't get killed, there won't be any more stories of British soldiers committing atrocities, and lastly, the Catholics and Protestants can slaughter each other in peace.

I'm sure it would be one less headache for the U.K.

In the long run, it will weaken Europe if Scotland separates.

As a resident of Illinois, I have absolutely no idea what is best for Scotland not what could possibly happen if they split from the UK. I just hope they're happy, fly rockets, and buy my book. :-D

Why do you say that? I havn't researched this so I dont have a opinion either way. We seem to have done OK by breaking away.

I spent three months in England, and I am interested in the UK and Europe in general.

The times were very different when the United States was formed. Most every Scot I know of has said it's not about the past, it's about the future and Scotland's economic position in the world.

I bought scotch last night in fear that it would go up even more than it has in the last year.

I spent three months in England, and I am interested in the UK and Europe in general.

The times were very different when the United States was formed. Most every Scot I know of has said it's not about the past, it's about the future and Scotland's economic position in the world.

Yup, the SNP (Scottish National Party) used to talk a lot about the future of the nation of Scotland. Past is past, this is and should be about the ability of Scotland to be a nation in its own right.

Born in UK, spent 8 years in Edinburgh (well, just south in Galashiels), moved to Wales and then over here to sunny Oregon.

it's not about the past, it's about the future

Different times but maybe not such different reasons. Who knows maybe that saying came about while preparing to sail the Mayflower almost 400 years ago?

Last edited:
I don't like the UK for personal political reasons, and I also hate how British Folks I've met act like they are so Special. All that Pomp makes me want to puke.
Even in the Military there was a certain Spite between "Us and Them", which you would have thunk would not be that way seeing as how we were fighting against the same Enemy.
I hope Scotland breaks away just to spite the Brits.

Well, it seems my dreams of untold wealth made from exporting heather, haggis and displaced hedgehogs from the Hebrides is over. Still in all I have lovely memories as a child growing up a bit in the Highlands outside of Grantown-on-Spey in an honest-to-goodness croft overlooking a magnificent valley. Your travel dollars would be well spent visiting there and do get a meat pie from the local farmers co-op. It's okay Granda-you did good leaving-thanks!

I think it is probably better that Scotland has voted to stay part of the UK. The country is probably stronger united.

I'd like to visit Scotland sometime, and the rest of the UK as well.

Well, it seems my dreams of untold wealth made from exporting heather, haggis and displaced hedgehogs from the Hebrides is over. Still in all I have lovely memories as a child growing up a bit in the Highlands outside of Grantown-on-Spey in an honest-to-goodness croft overlooking a magnificent valley. Your travel dollars would be well spent visiting there and do get a meat pie from the local farmers co-op. It's okay Granda-you did good leaving-thanks!

You probably still have an opportunity to make a fortune importing vowels into Wales.

I thought this was supposed to be a non-political forum. The anti-British sentiments expressed by a couple of the posters here are definitely unwelcome in what is supposed to be a tolerant forum. In particular, the pro-IRA propaganda in one post - I'd like to see how the US would have reacted if Britain had dealt with Irish terrorism the same way the US deals with Islamic terrorism.

However, since this can of worms is now well and truly open, and being perhaps the one contributor here who actually lives and works in Scotland, there is exactly one point on which I agree with Alex Salmond - this was a decision to be made purely by the people of Scotland, not by outsiders. In all other respects, I disagree utterly with the nationalists.

We won. We're still in the UK, we get to keep using the pound, we're not putting lots of jobs at risk. (Officially, where I work was neutral. Unofficially, there was a lot of nervous talk in the tea-room about what would happen to us if Scotland had lost its membership of the UK.) All the businesses which were planning to move to England can stay here. (And we don't need to worry about what sort of explosives laws an independent Scotland would have passed, which is probably good news for those of us who fly rockets in Scotland!)

Tough luck to the UK-haters - you haven't got rid of us after all!

You probably still have an opportunity to make a fortune importing vowels into Wales.
Perhaps you mean "exporting". Besides, Wales is a tiny market. We're planning on exporting vowels to the US. :lol:

I didn't have a horse in the race but living in a former colony and knowing a tiny bit of history made me appreciate why people would desire independence. Of course, the British government is significantly more benevolent than some prior regimes and so many former reasons are no longer valid. On the other hand, I also appreciate how many different states can work together to be a greater whole.

In the end, the free people of Scotland were able to decide democratically what they thought was best and not have it decided for them.

Regardless of which side you might have been on, that is a good thing any day of the week.

From an another web site dealing mostly with economic issues:

"The reason the UK is freaking out is because if Scotland secedes all of the derivatives on UK sovereign debt trigger, and while that may not sound all that awful since they haven't defaulted (yet) the protection evaporates and that triggering means that holders of said derivatives can force delivery on the derivative contract!"

The EU, England, and banks were strongly against it, and that alone should have told the Scots to vote FOR independence. There are more economics related reasons, too. Unfortunately, they didn't. Score another victory for deep pockets oligarchical propaganda. Works well in the US, too...

I thought this was supposed to be a non-political forum. The anti-British sentiments expressed by a couple of the posters here are definitely unwelcome in what is supposed to be a tolerant forum. In particular, the pro-IRA propaganda in one post - I'd like to see how the US would have reacted if Britain had dealt with Irish terrorism the same way the US deals with Islamic terrorism.

I agree that some of the posts are out of bounds.

If Texas secedes, I plan to emigrate. You can take the boy out of Texas, but never take Texas out of the boy...

Sent from my Mobile Leash using the handy dandy Rocketry Forum app-thingy.

"The reason the UK is freaking out is because if Scotland secedes all of the derivatives on UK sovereign debt trigger, and while that may not sound all that awful since they haven't defaulted (yet) the protection evaporates and that triggering means that holders of said derivatives can force delivery on the derivative contract!"
What a brilliant idea for an independent Scotland. The rest of the UK would still have been a major trading partner - except that you seem to want it to go bankrupt. So the UK haters would get to gloat at its final destruction, and never mind that this would probably wreck Scotland as well.

The EU, England, and banks were strongly against it, and that alone should have told the Scots to vote FOR independence. There are more economics related reasons, too. Unfortunately, they didn't. Score another victory for deep pockets oligarchical propaganda. Works well in the US, too...
There was quite a lot of support in England for Scotland to split off. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. The SNP's liars were telling them that Scotland is a net contributor to the UK. Other liars were telling the English that Scotland is a net drain on the UK. You can believe whichever set of liars suits your politics, and some folks down south believed the second set.

The banks' problem was currency. The SNP were trying to convince us that we'd get to keep using the pound post independence. The Bank of England and the entire Better Together campaign said we wouldn't. The problem is that if Scotland's economy went a different way from the rest of the UK's then currency union wouldn't work - the only reason the Euro is barely holding together is that the EC is a political and economic union. The only way a currency union with the rest of the UK would have worked would have been a similar political and economic union. So much for independence. Besides, I suspect the nationalists thought that with us using the pound, when Scotland's economy fell on its face then the Bank of England would bail us out, and the rest of the UK didn't want to let an independent Scotland use the pound for exactly the same reason. So the SNP threatened to default on its share of the UK debt if the UK didn't let an independent Scotland use the pound, and the rest of the UK probably preferred to write off that debt rather than risk damaging the pound even more by sharing it with an independent Scotland.

Fortunately, the majority of Scots voted for what is best for Scotland, not for what would damage England most. Score another victory for common sense winning out over petty malice.

As for the US: the last time some states made a serious attempt to secede, it didn't work out very well. Check your history and look for an alternative American flag bearing a resemblance to the Scottish one. We've had our referendum. When are you going to let the southern states have theirs? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back