What are the coolest payloads you've launched?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I'm building (well, planning) a payload section that will lift both an altimeter and a miniature camera. This is the first payload project I'll have built. When I first got into rocketry, I didn't see the point of a payload section - what am I gonna put in there, a dandelion?

Until I found out about altimeters and mini camcorders and the like.

Now I'm curious about other payloads - electronic or otherwise - are possible. What are some of the coolest or most interesting payloads you've launched? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.

A playmobile astronaut that descended with his own chute. The kids loved it!

Otherwise, I've got an electronic payload getting designed and built by an electrical engineer friend. The first version will contain a six axis accelerometer and a barometer. We plan to add a gps unit and a radio module to send back the data in real time.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I've launched a bumble-bee, a hedgehog and a rat.

All toys, of course. :) Also a bear and an orang-utan. The latter was for a charity launch. I'd set up two donation boxes, one for people to donate for more power, the other for people to donate for more safety for the orangutan. This was the rocket:

View attachment 184772

There's a triple mount with a 24mm and two 18mm tubes, plus provision for up to six parallel boosters. More money in the power box meant more motors. More power in the safety box meant the orangutan got a parachute, a capsule which stayed attached to the rocket or a detaching capsule on its own parachute. The whole lot was then added together and a cheque for the same amount sent to the Orangutan Foundation.

Another time, I sent Kenny from South Park up in a rocket which ejected him. I "forgot" to give him a parachute. :facepalm: :lol:

In case you ever get the urge to launch something that actually matters...
ARLISS program

That's it right there.

If you want to fly some outside-the-box payloads, and make a real difference using high power rocketry... ARLISS.

[video=youtube_share;xEyLhni6Ivs]https://youtu.be/xEyLhni6Ivs[/video]

You can do lots of things; altimeter, cameras, action figures, etc.

My favorite is a 2 stage 3 engine cluster with action figures from my favorite childhood movie.

Verna

Were they off to see the wizard?

My wife was teaching a student projects class at GMU. I worked with a group that put together a fieldable tactical communications relay that I helped them fly on rockets and fixed and rotary wing UAVs. That was a lot of fun...

In case you ever get the urge to launch something that actually matters...
ARLISS program

YES! This is something I'd really be interested in doing. Of course, for now, I'm only as far as low-power rocketry, but I'm looking for a payload that actually does something. I like the mini camera I found - I think it's perfect for a larger LPR. But I want to play with payloads that either measure or record something (altimeters, cameras). I'm just not too familiar with what other electronic options there are.

When I get to the point of "graduating" to higher power stuff, I'll look into this.

you mean legal payloads? I got nothing. Except a beer that got warm and foamy-what a waste of propellant...

We did beer loft back in the day at Lucerne Dry Lake Bed.

It was a duration event..clock started when rocket started moving off pad and stopped after you guzzled the payload.

A Coors light would slide perfectly into a LOC 2.6" tube ...a very cool payload- actually ice cold when loaded.

Kenny

Last edited:
I lofted a Wile E. Coyote bendie fitted with a spare Cox parachute in my TLP Scud-B on two D12-0s staging a pair of D12-5s as part of a demo for the local press. Never saw it again.

Made a couple of sonic beacons with plans by Dr. Andy Tomasch. Pull pin activation, and runs on a tiny 12v battery like the one by Estes. Boosted one in a TLP Sparrow AIM-7F. When testing the unit at home, my cat tried to destroy it.

That's it right there.

If you want to fly some outside-the-box payloads, and make a real difference using high power rocketry... ARLISS.

ARLISS is probably the only reason I'd consider moving beyond my L1 at this point. It's something I'm interested in doing, but I do not have the budget nor the space to build and maintain an ARLISS capable rocket right now.

My RRC2+!
incredibly simple by comparison to what people are doing with high power rocketry these days (and even just in our club) but it was really incredibly awesome (for me at least) to get electronic deployment right the first time, especially after designing and building my own av-bay and modifying my Darkstar Lite with no instructions to go off of. It was really satisfying for me. I like the Playmobile idea (that's my sister's hobby), but she shot down that idea quickly ;)

Coolest payload I have launched so far. Still have a ways to go to get all the bells and whistles operational.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1411176210.277242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

No.

Actual rocket friends who passed away & last wishes were for the ashes to be set free at apogee in a rocket.

Jim I've had the same honor.
One of the most moving launches was helping to spread my mothers ashes from one of my Standard D12 powered model rockets over her beloved Skyline Drive in Virginia.

Koolest Payload has to be anyone of several LED Lighted night launch rockets. Altimeters, air sampling, and other data gathering payloads are also fun.

634b-d4c-sm_2-Stage NIght UFO lit (lights off)_08-04-07.jpg

Attachments

• 604uc09c2_Lights off-51 LEDs & Flashing NC ON_06-03-11.JPG
    604uc09c2_Lights off-51 LEDs & Flashing NC ON_06-03-11.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 11
Back