A Question of Clusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will get opinions about using clip whips and they are fine if they work for you, but I have stopped using them in favor of the extensions.

that way I don't have to worry about leaving the clip whips at the pad.

I always use clip whips. I also always leave them at the pad!

NAR #91867, L2
Member CMASS, MMMSC, RIMRA, CATO

The STARTERS are just slower than the peppy old pryos. I have used them only once on a three motor cluster. You would think that as long as they all get the same current they should light at the same time. But being less "peppy" I had one motor ignite a fraction of a second after the other two went, which was enough for disaster. As the supply of old pyro igniters dwindles you will see fewer and fewer BP clusters, especially anything three or over. The Good old days of confidently lighting off seven Q2G2's are long gone. At least in Colorado we can safely put the STARTER in the RTF 3FNC, munch down an edible and say "DUDE! Who needs clusters. It is even better than the old days!"

Last edited:
As the supply of old pyro igniters dwindles you will see fewer and fewer BP clusters, especially anything three or over.
That would be a reason to save as many of the old igniters as possible and use the new STARTERS on single motor launches.

I haven't seen any of the new starters yet and I do have plenty of the old igniters. When I do get some starters, I will dip some in pyrogen and see how they work.

Home made from scratch, modified commercial or made from a dip kit will be the way to go for the diehard cluster nuts. I don't think there is any ruling yet against modifying an igniter. I also think under the new rules a properly licensed explosives and pyrotechnic expert can bring them to a club launch.

With no easy access to explosive pyrogen tipped commercial igniters like the Q2G2, or cherry picked old Estes, the more casual flyer will shy away from a TLP Nike or Flis TRES / Richer Recker, and run and scream from the SEMROC Hydra 7 or a clustered Saturn !B. And three motor modified SR 71 kits will be right out. No more gluing two Tomahawks to a Partizion because of those wonderful Estes online sales. I flew mine last week at the high power launch on two E12s and an F-15. The take off was so whimpy with the BP motors the HI PO guys thought they all didn't light, but they did. Just lots of flames, whoosh and smoke. Pop,pop,pop, three chutes and two got tangled up. Low and slow for the old fellers. More efficient, less expensive and better performance with only one decent composite reload and one big chute is what I said would make true rocket sense. Really no need to bother with all the trouble to cluster a bunch of BP motors on rare, olde tyme pyro tipped igniters. This could be a good thing, a lot fewer scary BP clustered odd rocs should add years to our club's RSO life from reduced stress alone. Now I have just about convinced myself that I am cured of black powder cluster disease. I have just about convinced myself the world is a safer and better place by banning the shipment of dangerous and explosive pyro tipped Estes and Quest LPR igniters. I just have to breath deep, close my eyes and say three times "I LOVE ME STATRERS!"

Yep them clusters is fun. A little more spendy but you get to spend more time on your favorite prepping routines and flight set up at the pad. Testing starter designs and firing :) in the backyard or on the patio.(the starters that is) yeehaa
View attachment 188886

Yep them clusters is fun. A little more spendy but you get to spend more time on your favorite prepping routines and flight set up at the pad. Testing starter designs and firing :) in the backyard or on the patio.(the starters that is) yeehaa
View attachment 188886

What rocket is that? You used two black powder and two AP motors?

What rocket is that? You used two black powder and two AP motors?
Thats a big 10-4... 2-G64W and 2F-15-8's
Yes all 4 lit on the pad and it was a dang cool flight.. Wont do it again though. Its a LOC 4-29SS. Well yes I might:y: but not at a club launch.:)

We had a recent club launch and one of the club officers L1 or L2 clusters, had an interesting launch. On ignition one of the Redline motors chuffed a bit until about 20 feet above the pad then the rocket disappeared from sight with both motors fully firing. Of course my favorite cluster is my scratch SA-3 Goa two c6-3s and a D12-0 booster gap staged to a d12-7. Booster has rear ejection parachutes. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70827-SA-3-Goa-Semi-Scale-2-Stage-with-Cluster-Booster

IMG_7840 2.jpgDSC00424 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Back