Estes Leviathan-Econojets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCrocketfan

Reaction score
Anyone flown the leviathan on either F23FJ or F27R econojets? Rocksim is saying 39 ft/s off the launch rod for the F27 and 42 off the launch rod for the F23.

Note: The rocksim file for the leviathan is a few ounces heavier than mine. I really need to mass override it...

Read the recommended maximum liftoff weight for the motor (which gets lighter as the delay time gets longer).

Weigh your rocket.

Add the weight of the motor.

If the weight is at or under the max weight recommended for the motor you are OK.

This works for almost every 'normal looking' rocket.

Its around 21 oz with motor, and the maximum motor liftoff weight is 22 oz (4 second delay). Should be nice and low and slow.

Thanks for the help!

I've used both the F27 and F23 as well as the F20 (white) in my Leviathan, and they all worked great. The 4 second delay is the right one. I'd say they are good under low-wind conditions, but might be a bit marginal with wind. Something like an F26 or G40 really takes off with lot more confidence than these motors, but the Econojets are good on a field like Moffett that has a low ceiling, and they cost less than the others.

I've now done a Partizon on one of the new Economax's (F44), similar to Econojet in that they are minimum F.... The 8 second delay is a tad too long though. 4 second is likely too short. Ideal would be 6. My rocket is ~22 Oz as well, but 44 is a whole lot higher in thrust than 23 or 27 so it may be a little slow off the start.

when in doubt, the F42 is low cost and has a ton of punch.

I've now done a Partizon on one of the new Economax's (F44), similar to Econojet in that they are minimum F.... The 8 second delay is a tad too long though. 4 second is likely too short. Ideal would be 6. My rocket is ~22 Oz as well, but 44 is a whole lot higher in thrust than 23 or 27 so it may be a little slow off the start.

The delay is the tricky thing with both the Econojet F42 and Economax F44. I don't think they have an intermediate delay, like 6 seconds, at least not where I've been shopping. For the F20, F23, and F27 in the Leviathan, 4 seconds is good. For the F42 and F44, the Leviathan wants a bit more than 4 seconds, but 8 is too much. I actually bought a pack of F42-8's, but I've been afraid to try them in my Leviathan.

yeah, there is no -6. :( Rocksim on my exact config says 6.26 sec would be ideal. My experience with the three -8's I've launched to date is that they are a bit late... more like 9 or 9.5. A 3 second past apogee cruise is a little nerve-wrecking, but the cord and chute have handled it.

Yes they will work with the 4 sec delays assuming your leviathon is not heavyier then mine. :)

The delay is the tricky thing with both the Econojet F42 and Economax F44. I don't think they have an intermediate delay, like 6 seconds, at least not where I've been shopping. For the F20, F23, and F27 in the Leviathan, 4 seconds is good. For the F42 and F44, the Leviathan wants a bit more than 4 seconds, but 8 is too much. I actually bought a pack of F42-8's, but I've been afraid to try them in my Leviathan.

An F44-6 would be perfect for most rockets and extremely perfect for TARC.

The 8 second delay would be perfect for lightweight Estes kits designed for D12-5 motors.

We need a -6.

Please.

Could always dump and drill an 8.... *dons flame suit*

I've always tended to go with a 4. I'd rather open early than late. Wrap your shouds around the chute and it'll give everything time to slow down before it 'hits'

Could always dump and drill an 8.... *dons flame suit*

I've always tended to go with a 4. I'd rather open early than late. Wrap your shouds around the chute and it'll give everything time to slow down before it 'hits'

Yes, I tend to fly short delays rather than long, just for safety.

Nothing beats the drama & suspense of a late opening though :D

Back