NASA Student Launch Competition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpummil

Reaction score
My institution (the University of Arkansas) has expressed interest in entering a team of undergrad seniors in mechanical engineering in the NASA Student Launch competition. I was approached (probably because I am the only Tripoli L2 around :blush:) as a potential mentor for these students. They sent me the NASA SL Handbook this afternoon, but I haven't sat down to digest the contents yet.

Would love to hear some experiences from other TRFF members with respect to this program...the good, the bad, things to be aware of...

Cheers!

It's a fantastic program. Having participated on a USLI team, I know how frustrating it can be when things don't work or parts of the team don't really buy into the project. This year, I'll probably be a L2 mentor since I'm still a grad student at the school--no longer on the team--and one of the two L2's currently at the school (hopefully that'll be changing soon, too!). I know some mentors get pretty involved in the projects as far as advising goes, but others are there to be a name on paper and to launch the rockets. I'm partial to the latter, but that's probably because that's how our team worked. It's definitely a good thing to be there, though, to step in and point out any issues that may make you an uncomfortable flyer.

I really recommend it. I've been privileged to be a mentor for the University of Illinois team for three of the past four years. Working with the students is often very rewarding, and occasionally frustrating (didn't you know that they can perform miracles at the last minute? Just ask them).

Several here on TRF have been involved - either as students, mentors, or part of the NAR team, and most would say that they wouldn't miss it, if offered, and they have the time. I'm sure others will chime in.

I think every mentor takes a different approach, and every team no doubt has different expectations of their mentor. Some mentors will be very involved, observing the design and construction process, offering advice to ensure that best practices are used along the way, and providing the feedback and tips we've learned from our own HPR experiences. At the other extreme, some may only be present to provide the minimum necessary assistance - handling charges and motors. Either way, there's a relationship-building process between students and mentors that benefits both, in spite of some trying times. The icing on the cake is to take the trip to launch week, see the other teams' efforts, tour exclusive NASA facilities, and enjoy the launch, itself. I find it extremely rewarding.

I'd be happy to talk about some more specific experiences by phone or email - feel free to PM me.

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and info, guys! It has been most helpful:wink:

I need to talk to the faculty member responsible for the team tomorrow and make my decision. I'd like to help out...but need to see how time intensive it will be as I don't want to commit to it if i can't allocate the time to do it right. Another minor hitch is that our closest club is an hour and a half away and these kids are gonna need a LOT of repetitions to acquire the necessary skills. None are even certified L1 yet, so...

My club has been contacted by a group of undergraduate junior physics students (CCNY), that are looking for something like this NASA Student Launch competition.
Obviously it's too late for them this year, as I see their paper work had to be in back Sept. 2014.
But is there some other challenge they could get in on for this year?
I would hate to have to tell them that there is nothing for them until next September, other than NAR low/mid power contests.
Even if its just ALT. w/payload record setting, something for them to work toward.

THANKS for any help in advance

They missed the SEDS deadline which was Dec 15. https://seds.org/projects/usrc/
They also missed the CANSAT competition deadline of Nov 30th. https://www.cansatcompetition.com/
The ESRA college competition deadline was Nov 15, but it says "late applications accepted with point deduction". https://www.soundingrocket.org/

They may be able to find funding for a research project through their state's NASA Space Grant office. There are HPR launches in their region to do testing at. Or, if it's going to a higher altitude, they can try to fund a trip to the Southwest. Our launchsite in Las Cruces has had a 125Kft waiver (waiting on renewal). There are also student launch opportunities at Spaceport America in New Mexico.

Bummer, they also missed https://rocketbattle.org/

And are they too old for the https://s4.sonoma.edu program?

You should take this as a "teachable moment" opportunity. In real life there are deadlines associated with grants, awards, and contracts that they'll have to meet if their company or university is to get funding for programs. This is a graphic example of what happens when you run late.

Alternatively, there's no reason they can't set their own goal and do their own independent challenge.

Last edited:
Hey THANKS John & Will

I hope this will help those guys, at least they can do some recon for next year.
I told them if they wanted to they could choose something to shoot for and our club could judge them on their progress.

2015 Student Launch Pictures

17159827522_a23f39ef29_z.jpg

North Carolina State's rocket is thorourghly inspected.

16975324679_1326a8c556_z.jpg

Madison West High School's Rocket Fair Display

16975227319_6190a22948_z.jpg

St Vincent - St Mary High School at the Awards Banquet

16541267273_f592d66e03_z.jpg

Durham Area Rocketry Team finds the CG of their rocket at the pre-flight inspection.

16539015634_28381e083e_z.jpg

Part of the University of North Carolina - Charlotte's rocket lands between the LCO table and the pads.

:wave:

Is SLI open to high school teams? My understanding was that it wasn't due to budget cuts, but I see some high schools above.

It was open to High School teams last year. They had different goals than the university teams. I am not sure about this year, but I believe it is also open for high school teams as well.

Is SLI open to high school teams? My understanding was that it wasn't due to budget cuts, but I see some high schools above.

My understanding is that the High School teams participating in the NASA Student Launch Program were selected from top 25 teams in 2014 and 2015 TARC, and perhaps some additional rocket competitions. PM me if you would like the NASA contact point for High School aspect of the NASA Student Launch program.

John

Thanks for the updates. My daughter's high school team did receive an invite, and they are putting in a proposal tomorrow.

Back