First HP build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronKnees

Reaction score
I chose a very easy build for my first high power build... The Dx3.. It's coming right along, but I think it's also time to find out about launch rails... Do most guys purchase them, scratch build them, or are there any kited ones... Thanks so much in advance.. Dave

Please clarify. Are you asking where to buy or how to build an entire launch pad? Or do you have a launch pad that you want to add rails to?

More important, it is illegal to fly HPR unless you have an FAA waiver. Why not just fly with your club's pad?

Sorry about the wording... When I re-read my post, I can see I wasn't very succinct. First off, although this is my first high power rocket, I am fully aware of the FAA waiver and everything I need to go through in preparation for my Cert flight.. Being a retired airline pilot, I am more than familiar with airspace regs. and have run across a few airspace waivers for rocktes when ATC was on one of their screwed up days and while they were still in effect had to circumnavigate around them.. AKA Get vectored all over the place to get in line for spacing and cleared to intercept the localizer..
The club does have them for me to use. I was simply just wondering if very many guys have their own... Dave

You read a lot of threads about people building their own pad with rail, but I've been flying on rails since about 2005 and I don't personally know anyone that has their own pad with a rail, I certainly don't. Most rockets I have that use a rail also need a waiver so I only fly them at club launches. In almost 10 years I've never found an occasion where I wished I had my own pad with a rail. YMMV

I have my own rail pad.
I bring it to the club low power (byop) launches.
It's so much better flying any Estes Pro Series II rocket on "F" power from a rail.
My Executioner and Super Big Bertha work great on "E" power from the rail.

My pad tilts, swivels, and has both Rail and Rod available to fly from (at the same time).

My pad costs less than the Aerotech Mantis pad, and is MUCH better.

1010 72" rail from the 8020 store on ebay.
Rockwell Jaw Stand
3/8" keyless drill chuck
Stainless 4' rods in 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"
Misc hardware wood and blast deflector material from the hardware store.

DSCF2097.jpg

More important, it is illegal to fly HPR unless you have an FAA waiver. Why not just fly with your club's pad?

Not exactly correct. You can fly anything under 125g of propellant in a rocket less than 3.3 pounds without an FAA waiver. You may need a cert from TRA or NAR If NFPA has been made into law in your local area.

That leaves quite a few H motors that do not require a waiver. (note many night launches operate outside of the main launches waiver)

And I ordered a rail from 8020's ebay store and ziptie it to a lightstand to launch mid power

Last edited:
I have my own rail pad.
I bring it to the club low power (byop) launches.
It's so much better flying any Estes Pro Series II rocket on "F" power from a rail.
My Executioner and Super Big Bertha work great on "E" power from the rail.

My pad tilts, swivels, and has both Rail and Rod available to fly from (at the same time).

My pad costs less than the Aerotech Mantis pad, and is MUCH better.

1010 72" rail from the 8020 store on ebay.
Rockwell Jaw Stand
3/8" keyless drill chuck
Stainless 4' rods in 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"
Misc hardware wood and blast deflector material from the hardware store.

Sounds like you have a great pad. In my case, the club has all the pads for LPR and HPR. They supply a 1010 rail and HD pad with 1/4 rod along with the 1/8" and 3/16" rods at the LPR pads. The HPR pads are 1010 & 1515 rails with two available HD pads that can take 1/4" to 3/4" rods. Nobody brings or uses their own pads at the club launches.

Not exactly correct. You can fly anything under 125g of propellant in a rocket less than 3.3 pounds without an FAA waiver. You may need a cert from TRA or NAR If NFPA has been made into law in your local area.

That leaves quite a few H motors that do not require a waiver. (note many night launches operate outside of the main launches waiver)

And I ordered a rail from 8020's ebay store and ziptie it to a lightstand to launch mid power

+1 on that. There are a lot of HPR rockets that can be flown without a waiver. As you said, if NFPA is the law in the area you have to have the certification. FAA doesn't care if the rocket is HPR or not, only if it is a class 2 or not.

Back