Dremel's New 3D Printer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
https://makezine.com/2014/09/17/dremel-3d-printer-idea-builder/

Youtube text:

Sep 17, 2014

Dremel 3D Idea Builder was announced today at MakerCon in New York City, the first 3D printer to be released by a major tool manufacturer, and represents further maturation of at-home additive manufacturing. With initial sales being handled by traditional tool-sales outlets Home Depot, Amazon, and Canadian Tire, it promises to help expose 3D printing to a new range of users. With a combination of accessible features, smart packaging, and a $999 price point, it's obvious that the Dremel Idea Builder is a machine aimed squarely at the mass market.

[video=youtube;hnxWoqakZ3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnxWoqakZ3g[/video]

Met a guy yesterday that will have a carbon fiber 3D printer by the end of the year... Thinking about partnering with him to make and sell rocket parts

they slapped their name on a flashforge dreamer and removed one extruder:

dreamer-i-1-web-nobg.jpg

https://www.flashforge-usa.com/shop/3d-printers/flashforge-dreamer-dual-extrusion-3d-printer.html

I like the nice enclosure. it looks much better then the diy ones (mine included). I'm really interested to learn about the sw more. they talk about it in the video, but I can't find any info about it online. :(

I sure hope you can make better bits than the little samples shown in the video - that stuff looks pretty crappy to say the least.

s6

This is great for 3-D printing, it may not make the best parts, but this is the start of a great evolution in technology. Having a big name brand behind this new technology can only lower prices, increase competition, which always leads to new innovation. This in turn leads to 2n-3rd-4th, etc generation improvements and price reductions. This is a technology that from a consumer level is still very much in its infancy however this will grow up very quick, with price reductions on commercial technologies ported to the consumer space. I see this as being a technology to inspire a whole new generation of scientists.

I know SpaceX 3-D prints many parts for the Merlin engines now, but those printers are ridiculously expensive and use titanium powder as their medium, one day that level of quality will be available to the consumer at an affordable price. Probably not the titanium part but you get the idea.

This is great for 3-D printing, it may not make the best parts, but this is the start of a great evolution in technology. Having a big name brand behind this new technology can only lower prices, increase competition, which always leads to new innovation. This in turn leads to 2n-3rd-4th, etc generation improvements and price reductions. This is a technology that from a consumer level is still very much in its infancy however this will grow up very quick, with price reductions on commercial technologies ported to the consumer space. I see this as being a technology to inspire a whole new generation of scientists.

I agree 100%. But I think the real issue holding back 3d printers now isn't the price, output quality, size limits, etc. - it is the software. designing 3d objects that are printable is not easy. the good tools are expensive and difficult to use (solidworks) and the free ones kind of suck (sketchup).

My real hope with companies like dremel releasing consumer level 3d printers is they improve the software considerably because there isn't really anything special about the printers.

According to the video they are working with Autodesk on software. If this comes with a version of Autodesk that could really be a huge bonus.

...designing 3d objects that are printable is not easy...

Exactly. I already have two jobs and time consuming hobby, I don't want to learn to be a 3D design wizard. I'd rather get help from a friend with the simple designs I need and then get things fabbed at a local maker shop, or staples, or fedex....

I don't realistically expect to see any 3D printers below about $1000 assembled, and $500 - $600 in kit form.

There have been lots of Kickstarter/Indiegogo projects created promising cheap printers. Guess what? They've all failed.

I don't have the link handy, but someone did the math on the reality of it.

If you want to play with 3D printing, expect to spend $500 - $1000 on a kit, and many hours assembling and tweaking it. Or expect to spend a minimum of $1000 on an assembled printer, likely more.

That's just to get you printing....which is the easy part. Designing is harder. MUCH harder.

-Kevin

You know what this means, right?

Harbor Frieght will be selling a really crappy 3D printer by DERMEL for $179.27 by the end of the year.

I'll buy a 3D printer when they come with an option for an intake hopper where you can feed in old plastic bottles, aluminum cans, balsa dust and/or roadkill.

"You want to print a toy, you gotta fill up a trash bag full of water bottles you find along the roadway. That was the deal after you used up your mom's premium feedstock on that Pokemon collection you only played with for a day."

If you want to play with 3D printing, expect to spend $500 - $1000 on a kit, and many hours assembling and tweaking it. Or expect to spend a minimum of $1000 on an assembled printer, likely more.

This is one of the big advantages I see to Hacker/Maker spaces and places like Techshop. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with several Hackerspaces, one of which I went to and learned how to solder. Often times they will have 3d printers and other equipment (like a laser cutter engraver) which is made available to the public for use, (based on the rules of the particualr space, of course) assuming you can get someone to show you how. (and its working at the time.)

Then there are also services like Shapeways (which I've used) and Ponoko (which I haven't) but they can get expensive if you are just using them for prototyping or small one-off prints. I would love a 3D printer of my very own, but I do not have the money, time, or space needed to invest in one right now. Some day.

Here's something weird: The Radio Shack nearest my house recently remodeled. They re-did their DIY/electronics section (again) bringing in a different mix of arduino / basic / pic / makershed kits and stuff. They also have a makerbot (on display behind lexan along with some sample prints) and they sell filament. But I don't think they sell the bots. Nor do I think the bot itself is functional. I asked the clerk about it, wondering if they were going to start up some sort of mini maker space or in-store print service or something, he gave me kind of a clueless answer. (I think he wanted to know if I wanted to buy some batteries and a warranty, or something.)

ok - enough rambling. for now...

A couple articles that explain some of the reality of 3D printing...

https://www.inside3dp.com/low-cost-3d-printers-crowdfunding-suicide/

https://chopmeister.blogspot.com/2014/08/sifting-through-features-or-guide-to.html

The first one, especially, gets into the realities of pricing.

3D printers are also currently the trendy gadget to have. The reality is the printer is the easy part; designing stuff to print is the harder part. There are also a zillion companies now offering them; at some point, we're going to see some contraction in the number of companies offering printers, especially as the market begins to saturate a bit.

-Kevin

I don't realistically expect to see any 3D printers below about $1000 assembled, and $500 - $600 in kit form.

-Kevin

I remember a friend of mine who worked in a computer store in the early 90's that hard drives would soon be $1 a meg (yes, I said meg), I think ti was seagate that promised a 200 meg drive fro $200. I told him he was crazy, hard drives would never be that cheap.

Never underestimate where a free market will drive a price to.

That surprises me. I downloaded and used Sketchup to design my deck, and later my finished basement. I found it very fun and easy to use once I went through all the tutorials I could find online.

you 3d printed your deck?

sketchup is fine for stuff like that. however it has really poor sub-millimeter accuracy for exported stuff that you can print.

There have been lots of Kickstarter/Indiegogo projects created promising cheap printers. Guess what? They've all failed.

I don't have the link handy, but someone did the math on the reality of it.

That's just to get you printing....which is the easy part. Designing is harder. MUCH harder.

-Kevin

we are already below that price point. look at the printrbot stuff. the new assembled metal one is $600. and 3d systems and xyz printing has assembled printers at newegg for $500 - $600. the makerbot stuff is pricey, though.

but as you say, the printer is the easy part. the designing is difficult and where the improvement needs to happen. hopefully with big names like dremel, this will start to happen.

I got the $299 offer on Kickstarter for one of these (now being pre-release offered at $349). Small bed, but it's a price point I'm OK with. :

https://printm3d.com/themicro/

11,855 backers
$3,401,361 pledged of $50,000 goal

Update 17 - Mid-September 2014 - Beta Printers & Detailed Features

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3d/the-micro-the-first-truly-consumer-3d-printer/posts

Technical Specifications
Supports many different materials: ABS, PLA, nylon, professional, chameleon
50-350 micron layer resolution
15 micron X and Y positioning accuracy
Filament: standard 1.75mm. 1/2lb rolls fit within print bed and allow you to try a variety of materials and colors for less! Standard filament rolls also supported.
Print height: 116mm (4.6")
Base Print Area: 109mm x 113mm
Print Area Above 74mm: 91mm x 84mm
Removable Print Bed Size: 128x128mm
Printer Dimensions: It's a cube, 7.3 in (185 mm) per side.
Printer weight: 1kg (2.2 lbs)
Package weight: 2kg - 2.7kg (4.4 lbs - 6 lbs)
USB Compatible
Glass-Filled ABS Body

Software
M3D software for an effortless, plug-and-play experience
Supports and uses open source software (for advanced users)
File Types Supported: .stl, .obj
Compatible with Mac and PC. Linux will also likely be supported.

The updates from this group are very professional and show great progress. Their pitch on Kickstarter was very professional or I wouldn't have fronted them my money. It's also NOT a kit which is a positive point.

Some of their selling points:

According to co-founder Michael Armani, a bioengineer Ph.D., the Micro resulted from years of constant dialogue between engineering, arts, and manufacturing - how to make a good looking device while keep the cost low? This led to 15 innovations in the field of 3D printing. One of them is a special Micro Motion Technology, a sensor system that measures and correct position errors, providing inteligent positioning feedback for precision. This technology allows the team to use fewer and lower cost components to achive better performance.

The Micro 3D printer also features the use of carbon fiber rods for a rigid and lightweight build. Other innovations include an aerospace grade ceramic heater system that allows the printer to heat up to print temperatures in seconds in a very confined space, a multi-calibration system ensuring reliable prints and concealed filament compartment for swaping out filament with ease.

The Micro is space efficient, that it is ~10 times lighter that other printers, reducing material and shipping costs. In addition The Micro is designed to use less energy. Co-founder David Jones says it uses only 5 volts and 15 watts (3A).

Most space-efficient 3D printer ever made.
Light-weight, portable design fits nicely on your desk.
Custom micro motion chip provides completely automatic leveling and calibration.
Quietest 3D printer ever made.
Lowest power consumption 3D printer ever made.
Carbon fiber rods: light, sturdy, self-lubricating and long-lasting
Ceramic heater for rapid heat-up, power efficiency, reliability and safety.
Replaceable print beds for alternative materials.
Replaceable nozzles for experimenters.
Designed for fast assembly in the US for quality control.

scene4.jpg

Last edited:
you 3d printed your deck?
No, but I would LOVE to 3D print a small version of it, maybe a foot tall, and have it sitting on my desk at work up against the cubicle wall. If anyone gets a 3D Printer and wants to test it let me know.

sketchup is fine for stuff like that. however it has really poor sub-millimeter accuracy for exported stuff that you can print.
Gotcha. I thought you were saying it sucked in general, not just for accurate 3D printing.

we are already below that price point. look at the printrbot stuff. the new assembled metal one is $600. and 3d systems and xyz printing has assembled printers at newegg for $500 - $600. the makerbot stuff is pricey, though.

but as you say, the printer is the easy part. the designing is difficult and where the improvement needs to happen. hopefully with big names like dremel, this will start to happen.

Yep, and do some reading on the print quality and level of fiddling that the printrbot printers require.

Yes, you can get them. But the quality isn't there.

Remember, you're talking mass consumers, not a hobbyist who wants to fiddle with it.

-Kevin

No, but I would LOVE to 3D print a small version of it, maybe a foot tall, and have it sitting on my desk at work up against the cubicle wall. If anyone gets a 3D Printer and wants to test it let me know.

post the sketchup file and I'll see what I can do. If you don't want to post it pubicly, you can pm me. no promises, though.

post the sketchup file and I'll see what I can do. If you don't want to post it pubicly, you can pm me. no promises, though.
Seriously? Nice. I'll try and post it tonight. I'll save a file with just the deck/patio and remove the house and grass, to minimize the file size.

That would be awesome! And if you can't make it work I appreciate the offer to try. Thanks!!

Back