Another Wayco build thread Mongoose 75

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here I go again, this time with a Proline Rocketry carbon fiber kit called the "Mongoose 75". It's a minimum diameter rocket made mostly with carbon fiber parts, except for the nosecone, which is filament wound fiberglass, perfect for my Eggfinder GPS. Here is a link to the kit on the Proline Rocketry website:
https://prolinerocketry.com/store/p...id=85&osCsid=64134d7c379271eb664ae45ab656cfbc

Started out by setting up the 8 ft. table in the front room and laying out the parts:

009.jpg

Nothing quite like CF shining in the morning sun! Actually, it's a halogen lamp, but still makes the CF shine.
Fitting parts together was a breeze, Gary's Proline kits are top quality and all the seams butt up flush. My first concern was the space available at the top of the fincan with a 6XL casing installed. I had issues with my Wildman Blackhawk 54 when I used the Aeropac MD retainer, it took up too much room, making it hard to add a drogue and tracker beacon. When I lined everything up, here is what it looks like:

010.jpg

Maybe 6 inches if I make a Nomex pocket for the drogue and slide it up beside the big charge cups on the avbay bulkhead. I think I will slide the switch band down an inch, giving me just over one caliper of coupler going down into the fincan.
The two short coupler pieces with the 1/4" bulkhead sandwiched in the middle will be the motor retainer, with a 3/8" nut glued on the topside that the aluminum all-thread will screw into. It also fits the forward closure in my casing.
Thanks to some guidance from Kaycee on another thread, I have some ideas for the anchor point, which will be the U-bolt with a swivel on it, mounted over the 3/8" nut. I will use 1/4" kevlar braided cord and a small Aerocon 18" drogue chute, about all that will fit in that space.
Yesterday I measured and weighed all the parts, which came out to just over six pounds and eight feet long, so with the big motor casing, I figured I will need a chute for a 13 lb. rocket. I ordered a Fruity Chute's
Iris Ultra 48" Compact Parachute, some swivels, quick links and a small deployment bag. Since I wanted the classic Red/Black colors on the chute, it will take 4 weeks to get it here. Hopefully just in time for the Octoberfest launch in Jean, NV next month.
I will also be building an eight foot tower based on Kaycee's design, which I got to use at Airfest. Here is a shot of the designer and his five ft. tower:

IMG_3853.jpg

I haven't started gluing parts together yet on the Mongoose, so no progress to report. Next on the list is to build it on Open Rocket, which I will be doing today. Stay tuned...

Man, those charge holders look HUGE for that tiny compartment. From the picture they appear to be roughly 2.25" long by .5" ID. That compartment should only need about 1g of powder. If it were my kit I'd trim them down to a more reasonable length.

Personally, I feel that your entire drogue recovery system is undersized. Yes, you have a space constraint, but that inline swivel and 1/4" Kevlar cord are issues to me. Or, let me put it more appropriately...you have very little safety factor in the event of less than optimal deployment conditions.

I built one of these years and years ago. I optimized mine for the 7600 (I think this is what CTI calls "6GXL") and as such just used the 48" booster tube and put the nosecone on top of it. Did dual deploy out of one end with a line cutter, got around 30k each time. Was a fun little rocket. Point being, if you're going for any kind of altitude, the standard two-tube dual deploy is a ton of extra length/drag/weight for no good reason. If you don't want to use a line cutter or feel you don't have room, put just a shock cord on top of the motor and the main in the nosecone, making the nosecone coupler the av bay. Either way

Flight video from the very first NXRS of my shortened Mongoose on a zinc/mag 7600 - still got 30k'+ despite being an effects load. [video=youtube;MqRMjSBDWmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqRMjSBDWmM[/video]

Thanks for the replies gang, good to know that a kit like this can get so much attention.

Man, those charge holders look HUGE for that tiny compartment. From the picture they appear to be roughly 2.25" long by .5" ID. That compartment should only need about 1g of powder. If it were my kit I'd trim them down to a more reasonable length.

I agree Chris, they are huge! I could cut an inch off them and still put 10 grams in there. I do like to have room for the BP to expand and burn completely before leaving the charge cup, Jim Jarvis has a good article about that here:

https://www.rocketryfiles.com/files/Technicalarticles/Jim_Jarvis_Highaltitude_deployment_2013.pdf

Even with a tube half the size of the ones that come on these, I could still get 100% burn at my altitude goal of 20k ft.

Personally, I feel that your entire drogue recovery system is undersized. Yes, you have a space constraint, but that inline swivel and 1/4" Kevlar cord are issues to me. Or, let me put it more appropriately...you have very little safety factor in the event of less than optimal deployment conditions.

I pretty much go for a 100 g safety factor, anything beyond that and parts can ( and do) fail. My 6 lb. rocket with a 6 lb. motor might weigh in at 13 lbs. on the rail, and if a "less than optimal deployment" occurs the recovery parts are rated for 1500 lbs. of stress. I'm good with that.

I built one of these years and years ago. I optimized mine for the 7600 (I think this is what CTI calls "6GXL") and as such just used the 48" booster tube and put the nosecone on top of it. Did dual deploy out of one end with a line cutter, got around 30k each time. Was a fun little rocket. Point being, if you're going for any kind of altitude, the standard two-tube dual deploy is a ton of extra length/drag/weight for no good reason. If you don't want to use a line cutter or feel you don't have room, put just a shock cord on top of the motor and the main in the nosecone, making the nosecone coupler the av bay. Either way

Flight video from the very first NXRS of my shortened Mongoose on a zinc/mag 7600 - still got 30k'+ despite being an effects load. [video=youtube;MqRMjSBDWmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqRMjSBDWmM[/video]

I'm pretty sure we look at things differently. I have followed your adventures, and admire the way you approach rocketry. I'm still "exciting the molecules" and building rockets months ahead of their first flight. My goal for this rocket is to get over the 20k line, which it should be able to do without stripping it down to the bare minimums. Maybe when I have been at it as long as you, I will have an attitude adjustment, til then I appreciate your comments and ideas.

I started out my carbon fiber adventure with some small parts today. Enlarged the 1/4" hole in the bulkhead that is sandwiched between two short pieces of coupler to make the motor retainer/anchor point in the fincan. Takes a bit more effort to drill through 1/4" thick CF, almost like using a dull drill bit. But I got it done and glued all the parts together with Rocketpoxy. I will add pic's tomorrow when I drill more holes and add pem nuts to it.

Back