New Indie Star Trek Movie in Development

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was inspired to post this after reading Winston's post about Star Trek Trivia.

A few months ago I stumbled across information about a new independent Star Trek movie that is in the works. It's a prequel to the Original Series that fills in some of the gap between Star Trek: Enterprise and original Star Trek. The team recently posted a 21 minute pseudo-documentary teaser to YouTube. If the movie lives up to the teaser, it will blow the two recent J.J. Abrams alternate timeline reboot (bastardized) movies out of the water.

Break out the popcorn and enjoy Prelude to Axanar!

[video=youtube;1W1_8IV8uhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA[/video]

I liked it and the idea of Tony Todd (Worf's brother Kurn) playing the admiral. I hope they make it. Thanks for posting the link!

There are a number of ST prequel's on youtube. I recently enjoyed watching this one: [video=youtube;ejyVZKcsn3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyVZKcsn3w&list=PLJLSXgXDPj8E94sN1aHjbvo9iMCTbzWjQ[/video]

Most are decent, a few, not so much.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the "Star Trek Continues" episodes... they're pretty good...

Take up right where Kirk and Company left off at the end of the third season.

Jimmy Doohan's real life son plays Scotty, and Grant Imahara from "Myth Busters" plays Sulu... I like that the stories are in the "morality play" genre like most of the ORIGINAL classic Trek episodes too...

MUCH better than JJAbrams "Drek"...

Later! OL JR :)

I like the "Star Trek Continues" episodes... they're pretty good...

Take up right where Kirk and Company left off at the end of the third season.

Jimmy Doohan's real life son plays Scotty, and Grant Imahara from "Myth Busters" plays Sulu... I like that the stories are in the "morality play" genre like most of the ORIGINAL classic Trek episodes too...

MUCH better than JJAbrams "Drek"...

Later! OL JR :)

Star Trek Continues is very well done. In addition to a great regular cast, I also love their guest stars, like Michael Forrest reprising his role as Apollo after 40 plus years. And, in that episode, did you notice Jamie Bamber getting "red-shirted" on the EVA scene? I about fell on the floor laughing over that gag. I also loved Lou Ferrigno as the Orion Slave Trader (Big Green Guy), and Michael Dorn as the voice of the ship's computer on the I.S.S. Enterprise.

Rob

Rob

I've only seen a few of these Voyages Continues...they are lovingly made.

I think the return of the Doomsday Machine with William Windom reprising his role as Commander Decker (Don't ask how...he didn't really die yet) is a very VERY clever way of using him... and I especially liked the gag of Kirk, Spock and Bones going to present day suburbia to track down the chronal disturbance...and finding... GUESS WHAT... stuffed SIDEWAYS in a garage out back, packed with junk and crap, like any other home in suburbia does...

One of the best moments in that series is when they cut from their reactions when they open the garage to what they see/find.... I won't spoil it for you, but the scene is well done....from when the woman opens the door of the house and recognises him..."Captain James T Kirk" and stuns them all!

Only poor part for me is the crappy computer animated "planet killer" Doomsday machine....and the concept that there might be a porthole large enough to fly the Enterprise THROUGH. Nope, James T. Kirk would NEVER risk his baby doing that.... Bones is right!

I absolutely LOVE JJ Abrams New Star Trek. Whats NOT to love? The new characters are spot on.

I absolutely LOVE JJ Abrams New Star Trek. Whats NOT to love? The new characters are spot on.

I enjoyed the J.J. Abrams movies as well, but I did have a few bones to pick, like the doubling the size of the Enterprise and launching it from the ground when all previously established material stated the Enterprise was assembled in orbit.

I think these two "Honest Trailers" humurously sum up the soft spots in each movie.

[video=youtube;OTfBH-XFdSc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfBH-XFdSc[/video]

[video=youtube;6B22Uy7SBe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22Uy7SBe4[/video]

"Prelude to Axanar" is great and shows what can be done with the Star Trek universe. It is a shame that CBS killed it after a successful Kickstarter effort, as I really want to see how it ends!

"Prelude to Axanar" is great and shows what can be done with the Star Trek universe. It is a shame that CBS killed it after a successful Kickstarter effort, as I really want to see how it ends!

I think CBS et al are afraid of Axanar. It might be better than what they are doing.

They didn't just kill Axanar, but essentially all fan made Star Trek shows. they put huge hurdles in the way of all these creative geniuses that makes it highly unlikely that they can make any more fan made stuff. Frankly, I think that they have it exactly backwards. Instead of hurting the Star Trek brand it keeps it alive in the minds of a lot of people.

They didn't just kill Axanar, but essentially all fan made Star Trek shows. they put huge hurdles in the way of all these creative geniuses that makes it highly unlikely that they can make any more fan made stuff. Frankly, I think that they have it exactly backwards. Instead of hurting the Star Trek brand it keeps it alive in the minds of a lot of people.

Agreed 100%. They are afraid of Axanar, and of Cawley's Phase 2/New Voyages. They are fools.

Agreed 100%. They are afraid of Axanar, and of Cawley's Phase 2/New Voyages. They are fools.

I have enjoyed Cawley's stuff. The first few episodes weren't particularly polished, but entertaining nonetheless. And like Kirk G, I really enjoyed the Doomsday Machine episode with William Windom and Barbara Luna.

I have enjoyed Cawley's stuff. The first few episodes weren't particularly polished, but entertaining nonetheless. And like Kirk G, I really enjoyed the Doomsday Machine episode with William Windom and Barbara Luna.

Me too.

Star Trek: Beyond is bombing to the extent the continuation of the movie series is in doubt.

I do not know. The original Star Trek Series were shot terribly tight budget. But each of them has a deeper meaning. The goal was not to shoot a spectacular meaningless action.Hopefully this movie is in the spirit of the old Star Trek.

Axanar was to be a highly funded fan film- not associated with Paramount. Estimated budget of a million or so.

Axanar was being funded by fans. The Prelude to Axanar was an introduction to the movie that was to be made. The legal eagles at Paramount/CBS have killed it. They can do what they want, and it is perfectly legal.

This has nothing to do with Trek Beyond.

Copyright protection allows a few exceptions to other people using protected work. One is parody. If you make a parody of something you can pretty much do anything you want. Another exception is if you do something as non-profit. This is how Star Trek New Voyages and Star Trek Continues (both fan film series) were able to make videos. However, one of the arguments that was made to put limits on fan films is that they are indeed making money off the videos. Donations in excess of the actual production costs were being used to build new sets and production facilities to be used for new episodes. Apparently CBS and/or Paramount argued that this considered making a profit.

Anyway, CBS and/or Paramount issued rules for fan films. Among the rules is no fan films may be more than 15 minutes long, and no story can exceed 2 episodes, or 30 minutes total. Any uniforms, accessories, or props must be “official merchandise.” All participants in the film must be amateurs “and cannot be currently or previously employed on any Star Trek series, films, production of DVDs or with any of CBS or Paramount Pictures’ licensees.”

Paramount should have bought the Axanar - but they are too smart to pay for something they technically own - wonder how much they paid for the Beyond script and concept .

I am more excited by the Rogue 1 prequel than SW8 .. I feel the same way about Axanar . One of the news stories days before Beyond was released is that the next sequel was already Green lit to proceed by Paramount .

Paramount has defined allowed 'Fan Movie' fair usage as '15 mins' - so techinically they could do a serial like Battlestar Blood & Chrome - but at this point anything produced with Axanar is going to be inhibited by Paramount Legal in my opinion.

The newer, big movies were fun and done well - before anybody complains .. I heard that ST V had a $35M budget with at least $10M going to Shatner and Nimoy ..I liked all the new movies better than ST V and Enterprise .

Hopefully CBS and Paramount take a lesson from Disney / Marvel and support the projects instead of how things were managed previously.

Kenny

Back