Planning ahead... Which altimeter to plan on buying?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may like my Electronic Recovery and Level 2 in Style videos as both have explanations of dual deployment.

Just watched the electronics deployment video. Certainly makes it easier to visualize... Honestly, though, still makes me nervous. However, I'm thinking I'd like to try electronic apogee single deployment as a way to get acclimated to the techniques. Thoughts?

Use electronic at apogee with motor as a secondary a couple seconds later. Put your normal main chute where the drogue would go and deploy at apogee. Put the drogue chute where the main should go and deploy at say 1000 feet. You get to check everything out with very little risk.

BTW...the RRC3 is a great unit. Get the dongle and use your computer to program and to look at the post flight data. I really like the auxiliary channel that I use for "all" flights not using a secondary altimeter. I set it for apogee and use the motor as secondary. I then use the aux as as secondary to the main charge a second or two later.

Last edited:
But, if you're like me, you'll end up ordering a few pounds of black powder online and having several lifetimes worth of powder for your DD flights.
Hi Joe... Can you share where you found black powder online? I'm having a heckuva time finding it in the Oakland/East Bay area...

Thanks,
/shawn

There are a few companies to order BP from. Can't remember off the top of my head where I ordered mine, but the place I ordered from only had a two pound minimum order, so I went with them. I'd ask around in your club before going online; someone may offer to give you some powder. Pretty sure it's illegal to resell it, but maybe you can buy someone a beer and receive a donation of a cup of FFFFg in return or something like that. The amount you'll get if you order online is pretty ridiculous. I have two pounds worth of BP and I have no idea how I'll ever use all of it because we use such small amounts per flight.

Joe Schneider
Rochester, MN
Tripoli L2
Tripoli Southern Minnesota
www.tsmrockets.com

Thanks y'all... I'm getting back into this (yep, another BAR), and when I L2'ed previously, I wimped out and launched a J350 and did motor eject - avoided DD altogether... This time will be different...B-))

Back