New Estes kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the heck is that? I'll pass.
I wish they'de do a nice Scale Missile Kit or something exciting in the Mid-Power Game, like a Dual 29mm.
Heck, even a new Egg Lofter like a 29mm Eggspress Upscale would be exciting.
I understand why they don't, as this Topic has been beat to Death, but a Guy can have Wishes right?

Last edited:
I HATE it when they use a 3D model for the product image. surely someone from estes could build it and take a freaking picture!

I HATE it when they use a 3D model for the product image. surely someone from estes could build it and take a freaking picture!

Did you know that something like 75% of everything you see in an Ikea catalog is 3D modeled, including all the interior shots that look like a real living room, or kitchen, or bedroom? Even difficult surfaces like bedding and upholstery are 3D modeled. No wonder your home never looks as good as the catalog.

Regarding the rocket, it's not for me, but I'm sure some will like it.

Did you know that something like 75% of everything you see in an Ikea catalog is 3D modeled, including all the interior shots that look like a real living room, or kitchen, or bedroom? Even difficult surfaces like bedding and upholstery are 3D modeled. No wonder your home never looks as good as the catalog.

Regarding the rocket, it's not for me, but I'm sure some will like it.

Perhaps someday they will have a Machine that can 3d Print a Life Size House from the Ground up.

That looks like a new nose cone - a down-scale of the nose cone used in the old nemesis. (The old nose was a PNC-50, while this one, according to the listing, is a PNC-20.) interesting!

Estes seemed to be on a really great path there for a while. Released the mid power line, and some really cool LP designs as well. Now nothing interesting is being talked about, it's a shame they let the great momentum they had dissipate. The Scorpion, well ok........

I don't know. I believe Estes would like to be a profitable company. Based on the kind of discounts they're giving on their mid power line I'd guess those kits didn't do it for them. Adapt or die... That Scorpion looks pretty cool, I hope they sell a million of 'um. Another guess is the average TRFer is not their target market ?

I don't know. I believe Estes would like to be a profitable company. Based on the kind of discounts they're giving on their mid power line I'd guess those kits didn't do it for them. Adapt or die... That Scorpion looks pretty cool, I hope they sell a million of 'um. Another guess is the average TRFer is not their target market ?

We're all totally in agreement on that, that TRFers are most definitley/obviously not their Target Audience.
This is the Theme I mentioned had been beaten to Death.
Estes could rise to be great if it really wanted to.
But then they would not make as much of a Profit...

They made "The Dude". Least they could do to make up for that is give us a Dual 29mm Bird.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a Skill Level 3 mini-engined kit. Most "T"-motor kits are simple kits or RTF.

But, the face card art for this kit confuses me. I can't figure out what the rocket really looks like. I can't tell which fin goes what way :)

-- Roger

I don't know. I believe Estes would like to be a profitable company. Based on the kind of discounts they're giving on their mid power line I'd guess those kits didn't do it for them.

I suspect that the discounts have more to do with the motors those kits use. Estes may be weaning themselves away from Aerotech-manufactured composite motors and the kits that require them. Since beginning to close out the earlier PS II kits, they have released new PS II kits that use the larger BP motors instead of the composites.

-- Roger

We're all totally in agreement on that, that TRFers are most definitley/obviously not their Target Audience.
This is the Theme I mentioned had been beaten to Death.
Estes could rise to be great if it really wanted to.
But then they would not make as much of a Profit...

They made "The Dude". Least they could do to make up for that is give us a Dual 29mm Bird.

The Dude, that was a classic! LOL

I suspect that the discounts have more to do with the motors those kits use. Estes may be weaning themselves away from Aerotech-manufactured composite motors and the kits that require them. Since beginning to close out the earlier PS II kits, they have released new PS II kits that use the larger BP motors instead of the composites.

-- Roger

That sounds like a plausible explanation as well. Anyway, this morning I found even Initiator001's linky no longer works. What a tease !

Estes may be weaning themselves away from Aerotech-manufactured composite motors and the kits that require them. Since beginning to close out the earlier PS II kits, they have released new PS II kits that use the larger BP motors instead of the composites.

If they want to get away from the Aerotech motors and promote use of their own motors, but still play in the MPR and even HPR market, they should do what Top said and come out with some awesome cluster rockets for their 24 and 29 mm motors. That would be fun!

Anyway, this morning I found even Initiator001's linky no longer works. What a tease !

Yes, the link I posted now takes you to a '401' page.

I wonder if someone in Penrose jumped the gun.

If they want to get away from the Aerotech motors and promote use of their own motors, but still play in the MPR and even HPR market, they should do what Top said and come out with some awesome cluster rockets for their 24 and 29 mm motors. That would be fun!

I thought that maximum propellant weight might be an issue. But, two F15s are just under the 4.4 ounce limit.

-- Roger

Never mind. When I first looked at this thread only the first three messages showed. Looking again I can see the rest.

Since "Jonrockets" has an image of the model on their website I guess I can show you a Cad three view of what the model looks like to give you a better idea of it's actual shape. The blow molded nose cone is new and it's Similar to one Estes had in the past.

3 Views.jpg

John Boren

Latest posts

Back