Dr. Zooch Saturn V ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool mjennings! the flis 1b looks like a really cool little rocket....but I am currently in a plastic model building stage over here...working on a Heinkel He-111 right now....I will probably start that little guy in the winter.

good luck with grad school!!

Yeah it is neat sadly mine is going to remain in the bag for at least another year till grad school is done, but hopefully I'll have more workspace as we are moving shortly, and a hobby/craft/LEGO/rocket room is on the list of desirableness for the new house.

maverick...I do the same ..I always have a white tank Dr. Zooch rocket on hand...I call it my armageddon rocket...if the end of the world is predicted...big asteroid etc...I will calmly sit down and crank out one more Zooch 1b for posterity! I just love that kit!

Hey NJRick...the 1b is awesome and going to be on my to do list. Built one years ago but never got a chance to launch it. I have a shopping cart full of his kits ready to buy when the funds come in. my SA-5 flys great absolutely love it and plan to get a couple more to have on hand.

thanks...

Yeah- the SA-5 is still in the line, but I'm so swamped with work that I have not had time to tend to its missing from the web site. Frankly, I'm considering no longer selling retail and going all wholesale, because I just don't have the time and I have such good retail outlets now.

Fly that Saturn V again, on a C6-7 with a launch rod that it at least 32 inches long and if it goes wonky on you again, I'll send you a new kit and have you send me back the one that refuses to fly so I can dissect it and find out what's wrong (I'll cover the shipping and the replacement kit will be free). I had one like this a few years ago and when I got it here and cut it open I found that the nose weight had been improperly placed. Now, however, I have new tools that should prevent that. Also, check the fin size and make sure they are exactly the size as those on the wrap sheet and not the size of those in the instructions.

amazing that you are able to keep up with it all Wes....personally I think your kits sell so well not just because of their great price, or that neat storage box they are packaged in that allows you to carry the completed kit to the range, or the great variety of kits to chose from......but because they are COOL!!

Yeah- the SA-5 is still in the line, but I'm so swamped with work that I have not had time to tend to its missing from the web site. Frankly, I'm considering no longer selling retail and going all wholesale, because I just don't have the time and I have such good retail outlets now.

Fly that Saturn V again, on a C6-7 with a launch rod that it at least 32 inches long and if it goes wonky on you again, I'll send you a new kit and have you send me back the one that refuses to fly so I can dissect it and find out what's wrong (I'll cover the shipping and the replacement kit will be free). I had one like this a few years ago and when I got it here and cut it open I found that the nose weight had been improperly placed. Now, however, I have new tools that should prevent that. Also, check the fin size and make sure they are exactly the size as those on the wrap sheet and not the size of those in the instructions.

Maverick...Dr Zooch makes a good point with the launch rail (of course its a good point!! he is the owner of the company!!!)....I went to Lowes and bought a length of steel rod...I think its 48 "....cost me $3....I use that for my launch rod.

Hi guys...sorry its been so long since ive posted but i just got a chance to launch the Saturn V today. You guys said it was tail heavy and that statement was spot on. I added weight with some metal washers i had laying around and marked c/g right at 3- 13/16th from top of the body tube down and made my fins just slightly larger. it was a perfect launch on a b6-4...i know small but with the winds today i didn't want to walk a half mile with my 3 year old son to get it while the sun was setting. but even a b6-4 it was perfect, apogee was perfect on its side before it blew its guts out and landed around 250 feet from the pad. I feel in love with this rocket all over again, thank all of you for your help in getting the Saturn figured out for me.
thanks again...

Last edited:

thank you Wes, it all worked out as i stated below on my flight review. Thank you for offering that kind of service to help git it figured out, i will forever be a customer of your rocket kits no matter how mad the wife gets lol.
the launch rod i used today was only 7 inches longer than the standard Estes launch rod and it worked out perfect. I do plan on a larger rod in the near future just for piece of mind.
thank you again...

When someone has a problem, and they bother themselves to come back and post the resolve...
It makes it all worth while I think.
There is alot to be learned from this thread, but not without Maverick Pro's final post.
Take it all in, not for the Dr. Zooch Sat-V, but all your builds.
I think it would be a good thing if the all manufactures indicated on the build sheet where CG should be for each of it's engines it says such rocket can fly on.
I think it sure would prevent many lawn darts in advance with a simple rule and string.
Later

I think it would be a good thing if the all manufactures indicated on the build sheet where CG should be for each of it's engines it says such rocket can fly on.
I agree!! This would be a great idea, but I wonder if they don't because they either don't have that information calculated, or they feel that there's too much variation among builders with how much glue, paint, sanding, etc. that moves the GC around. Maybe they could publish a range instead of a specific measurement. As in, "The rocket laying on it's side should balance between 6.80" and 7.25" from the tip of the rocket when completed".

...Maybe they could publish a range instead of a specific measurement. As in, "The rocket laying on it's side should balance between 6.80" and 7.25" from the tip of the rocket when completed".

that is standard practice for flying model airplanes.

When someone has a problem, and they bother themselves to come back and post the resolve...
It makes it all worth while I think.
There is alot to be learned from this thread, but not without Maverick Pro's final post.
Take it all in, not for the Dr. Zooch Sat-V, but all your builds.
I think it sure would prevent many lawn darts in advance with a simple rule and string.
Later

It would be great if manufactures had a specific c/g range with there kits. It would make life a lot easier while getting things ready for flight just like model airplanes have specific c/g either kits or arfs. I am sure there is reasoning they don't but when i build another Zooch Saturn V im going to make sure the c/g matches the other one i have now that theirs a base measurement to go by. I will always finish a thread i started that way when my problems get answered it helps others that may have the same issues as i did. Thats the beauty of forums and the knowledgeable people that are on them. Again guys thank you for getting things figured out with my Saturn V

I've just ordered this kit. It looks great. Can't wait to get stuck in to it.

Question - has anyone done mods to this kit such as a 24 or 29mm MMT - how did it fare?

The Dr. Zooch Saturn V WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT be stable on any 24mm motor. The CG will be way outside of the stability range.

One other thing... this is a BT-60 kit... "up-motoring" it to a 24 or 29 mm motor would definitely be a "blink and you miss it" flight... WHY BOTHER???

It lifts off plenty fast on an 18 mm motor... the whole idea is to see a semi-scale rocket that looks like the Saturn V actually flying... low and slow is the best way to do that.

If you're looking for "fast and high", better to do that with just any old "3FNC" (three fins and a nose cone) rocket...

Later! OL JR :)

PS... How did I miss that??

I wonder how it would do on a D10 motor?

10074833.jpg

:y::y::lol::lol:

I launched my Redstone for the first time last weekend on a C6 and that sucker disappeared!! It's light, aerodynamic, and I ended up walking what felt like a mile to get it back (probably a quarter mile for real). I didn't remember what the suggested motor was for that rocket and I may have over done it.

Mushtang....did you make the Zooch BT 60 Redstone or the smaller version? (BT 50 I think it is?) both a neat kits! I have been thinking of taking another shot at those Zooch Redstones....

Yes it was. I think I need to stay with a B motor on that one in the future.

I've had this one sitting on my shelf just waiting to be done. After reading this thread, I've got a lot more insight into all of my rockets (referring to the discussion regarding CG) as well as a renewed interest of getting this one off of the shelf and into the building mode.

I've had this one sitting on my shelf just waiting to be done. After reading this thread, I've got a lot more insight into all of my rockets (referring to the discussion regarding CG) as well as a renewed interest of getting this one off of the shelf and into the building mode.

Be sure to read all the good threads on the Zooch Saturn V before you start... I did a step by step build complete with photos (as I do with most Dr. Zooch kits). Mushtang and several others have posted excellent build threads too...

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

So glad I found this thread! I just flew my Zooch Saturn V rocket yesterday; it didn't go well. The flight was unstable under a C6-5. I am posting the video here - it was pretty humorous and dramatic.
[video=youtube;bhydmLNhhaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhydmLNhhaE[/video]

I will be flying it again and was considering altering the fins to a larger size, but I think I'll first make sure the CG is in the right place per everyone's comments here. I don't think I overdid it on the glue, but we'll give her another go.

IMG_3128.jpgIMG_3127.jpgIMG_3133.jpg

So glad I found this thread! I just flew my Zooch Saturn V rocket yesterday; it didn't go well. The flight was unstable under a C6-5. I am posting the video here - it was pretty humorous and dramatic.
I will be flying it again and was considering altering the fins to a larger size, but I think I'll first make sure the CG is in the right place per everyone's comments here. I don't think I overdid it on the glue, but we'll give her another go.

Was it an Estes or Quest C6-5? Best to go with the Estes C6.
The Quest C6-5 will get it airborne but it will be back on the ground before ejection.
The Dr. Zooch Saturn V is pre-weighted and stable if built as shown in the directions.

Back