wood fin warped after painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sll1966

Reaction score
I have a Estes Pro Series II i am working on, and noticed one of my fins was slightly warped at the top after painting. These are the laser cut plywood ones.

Any recommendations on how to avoid this in the future, and how to remove it on this one? (is there a good way to "clamp" the fin straight while glue dries to main body tube?)

Basement is slightly humid and cool, and am painting with Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2x Ultra Cover Paint+ Primer (gloss).

With the humidity, there really isn't much you can do with it. All four of mine warped but the rocket still flies strait.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have a similar issue with a rocket I am working on. I am hoping it is not too late to correct it since the rocket has not been painted yet.
The fin is glued on straight, but has warped slightly so the tip chord looks askew. Any advice on how to correct this?
I am going to try filleting one side with Elmers (so it shrinks) and the other with Titebond. I could maybe put wood filler on one side in the hopes that it will cause the wood to expand somewhat? I would be happy for any thoughts or suggestions.

~ Giggles

Back