I need engine data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronKnees

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums and still finding my way around.. I bought an Estes Ventris and a Leviathan during sale... Can anyone help me find a link for the new Series II engines to put into Rocksim? I've hunted high and low and haven't found them yet... Thanks Dave

Which engines? The F50, F26, G80 and all the other composites are already in rocksim, since they are also made by Aerotech. The F15 and E16 black powder, I don't know, but I'm sure there is data somewhere.

I'm not asking about the composite engines... I'm looking for the files for the new Pro Series II 29mm engines. A spacer is included in the Pro Series II kits for use with these engines.

Pro Series II 29mm engines.jpg2.jpg
Pro Series II 29mm engines.jpg

Bill, Thanks so much... I've done a little math and think I'm in the ballpark, but I'd rather know for sure than screw up...

One thing you might want to consider is that the Leviathan is going to be very marginal on such a low thrust motor. People have flown them on these, but you need to build it light and fly it under perfect conditions. I think the Ventris is lighter, so it might be OK under a wider range of conditions. The Leviathan does great on the Estes (rebranded Aerotech) composite motors. But if you put the motor block in at the right distance for the E16 and F15 motors, you would be able to fit the longer Estes F26, G40 or G80, which are a nice option to have. One thing you can do is put the motor block in and shove it into place using one of those composite motors, and that way you'll be sure the composite can fit. Then when you want to try a blackpowder E or F, you will need a small spacer to put into the motor mount in front of the motor to take up the bit of extra space.

Alternatively, leave the motor block out completely, and make a small thrust ring on the blackpowder motor using tape. My feeling is you will probably want to fly the Leviathan more often on composites, and you should set it up for that option.

If you want to fly a little lower power and a little less expensive F composite motors that work great in the Leviathan, I can recommend the EconoJet motors --- F20, F23 and F27. I like these motors.

One thing you might want to consider is that the Leviathan is going to be very marginal on such a low thrust motor. People have flown them on these, but you need to build it light and fly it under perfect conditions. I think the Ventris is lighter, so it might be OK under a wider range of conditions. The Leviathan does great on the Estes (rebranded Aerotech) composite motors. But if you put the motor block in at the right distance for the E16 and F15 motors, you would be able to fit the longer Estes F26, G40 or G80, which are a nice option to have. One thing you can do is put the motor block in and shove it into place using one of those composite motors, and that way you'll be sure the composite can fit. Then when you want to try a blackpowder E or F, you will need a small spacer to put into the motor mount in front of the motor to take up the bit of extra space.

Alternatively, leave the motor block out completely, and make a small thrust ring on the blackpowder motor using tape. My feeling is you will probably want to fly the Leviathan more often on composites, and you should set it up for that option.

If you want to fly a little lower power and a little less expensive F composite motors that work great in the Leviathan, I can recommend the EconoJet motors --- F20, F23 and F27. I like these motors.

Thanks... I didn't "spain" myself enough I guess... My question was simply trying to find that data for the new Estes Pro Series !! motors... I have the composite engines, but I also have a few of the new Pro Series II as per this thread, and I wanted to have a good hard look at the data from RockSim under clean and than adverse conditions to see how it behaves, and what it does to the CG etc. I just was looking for the data to play with and see how these perform... Since RockSim WILL allow you to use engines that don't fit, such as 24mm, I played around with engines that I knew would be marginal at best, and got the performance I expected...Marginal to unacceptable... Oh, on that spacer.. It just drops into the motor tube, is a loose fit, and is easily removed for the longer, more powerful composite ones... I'm a retired airline pilot and have been build and flying the smaller Estes Rockets ever since I was a kid... I'm closing in on 67 years of age, so that pretty much gives me well over 50 years... or maybe a bit less... When I saw the prices this past week with the Estes sale, I bought one rocket each for my grandsons, and three for me, plus one for my level one cert. flight...

Thanks... I didn't "spain" myself enough I guess... My question was simply trying to find that data for the new Estes Pro Series !! motors... I have the composite engines, but I also have a few of the new Pro Series II as per this thread, and I wanted to have a good hard look at the data from RockSim under clean and than adverse conditions to see how it behaves, and what it does to the CG etc. I just was looking for the data to play with and see how these perform... Since RockSim WILL allow you to use engines that don't fit, such as 24mm, I played around with engines that I knew would be marginal at best, and got the performance I expected...Marginal to unacceptable... Oh, on that spacer.. It just drops into the motor tube, is a loose fit, and is easily removed for the longer, more powerful composite ones... I'm a retired airline pilot and have been build and flying the smaller Estes Rockets ever since I was a kid... I'm closing in on 67 years of age, so that pretty much gives me well over 50 years... or maybe a bit less... When I saw the prices this past week with the Estes sale, I bought one rocket each for my grandsons, and three for me, plus one for my level one cert. flight...

That's interesting. When you said "spacer" I thought "motor block" because in all the PSII kits I have bought, there has been a motor block you can glue into place in the motor mount if you want to use the black powder motors, but there has never been an actual spacer included, and the black powder motors were not on the recommended motors list. But I bought mine a year ago, before the BP motors were widely available.

Now I understand the BP motors are being recommended on the packaging (although I'm skeptical of them being adequate most of the time). Are they also now including an actual spacer?

Got my argent at the labor day sale, no spacer, just the engine block (I left it out).

Lol... We are on the same page... I guess I was calling the motor block a spacer...

I've got the Ascender I am currently building. I will need to see if it has a spacer or block. Haven't gotten that far with it yet. Not that it matters, I an building it it fly on composites anyway. I'm itching to try the RMS 24 mm and 29 mm I just picked up. Not sure I will ever want to go back to BP! But I digress....

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Got my argent at the labor day sale, no spacer, just the engine block (I left it out).

Hey guys, I'm sorry... I had just built the Big Daddy (24mm) which does come with a removable spacer.. This is what I get for having nine grandkids... Spreading myself too thin... The motor block WILL have to be installed to use the new Pro Series II black powder engines... I see now that the composite engines are "self-held." I apologize for my confusion... Sure appreciate all the kind replies... Dave

Untitled-02.jpg

DaveWinnieCoffie.jpg

Last edited:
Did I miss something? Has any one mentioned John Coker's excellent and indispensable "thrustcurve.org." site? (okay- Bill did-but I'm saying it again.

... The motor block WILL have to be installed to use the new Pro Series II black powder engines... I see now that the composite engines are "self-held." ...

Welcome to the forum IronKnees. I'd say you've picked a great activity for the grankids; I envy you your large recovery team. :) Don't mean to throw you alot of curve balls BUT... you can create an "aft motor block" on those BP engines using 1/4 inch masking tape. Many examples can be found on this forum or take a look at this fine tutorial from Apogee Rockets: https://apogeerockets.com/How-to/Motor_Retention

Just another way to skin the motor retention cat... for future reference.

Hey thanks guys... So many distractions this week that grandpa' go confused... Got it figured out now... I did go to thrustcurve.org but still didn't find the RockSim data files for the new 29mm Pro Series II black powder engines... If anyone happens, wonder if you could let me know.. my email is [email protected] and on facebook, you can find me at;
https://www.facebook.com/#!/dave.quick.73

Hey thanks guys... So many distractions this week that grandpa' go confused... Got it figured out now... I did go to thrustcurve.org but still didn't find the RockSim data files for the new 29mm Pro Series II black powder engines... If anyone happens, wonder if you could let me know.. my email is [email protected] and on facebook, you can find me at;
https://www.facebook.com/#!/dave.quick.73

Rocksim can use the RASP files that are available on Thrustcurve: https://www.apogeerockets.com/RockSim/Adding_new_motors_to_your_RockSim_database

A search for ESTES, F, 29mm gets you there: https://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=1010

Late to the party. Thank you mr. coker for your excellent site thrustcurve.org. So much data for me to drool all over.

Back