DMS L1000 Dimensional Drawings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWC

Reaction score
Unable to find a good dimensional reference for this motor.
Here's the DMS data sheet, but still no joy:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/u...b5ea58cbf62a_DMS™ Data Sheet 5-7-14 Small.pdf

I'm wanting to cram this in a small 54mm bird. Points of concern include:

- Real length (nozzle to pyro well, trust ring to end of case)?
- Thrust ring OD and length (rocket has a GLR SlimLine retainer)?
- Any opportunity for harness anchoring on the pyro well?

Any assistance is appreciated...

Jim, I have a spent K535. I just went and played with it. I drilled a 3/16 hole through the ejection well and fed 3/16 Kevlar through it. I tied it off to my truck and shock loaded it. The cord broke and the FC held fast. I'd fill the ejection well with epoxy and would feel good flying it. Hopefully a photos is attached. I can send measurements of this case if need be. I thing other then the length it is going to be the same.

DMS.jpg

Tony

Tony -

Thanks man... I had visions of doing that type of harness anchor, and you just confirmed it's more that adequate.
My rocket has a Slimline "snap ring" style retainer, so really most interested in the thrust ring OD and overall height (will it fit the Slimline)?
Other dims appreciated as well...

See you on the playa!?

Tony,

Will a Aeropack Pro 38 or 54 mm threaded bushings work with it?
MC54__25.jpg

JD

Jim, I have a spent K535. I just went and played with it. I drilled a 3/16 hole through the ejection well and fed 3/16 Kevlar through it. I tied it off to my truck and shock loaded it. The cord broke and the FC held fast. I'd fill the ejection well with epoxy and would feel good flying it. Hopefully a photos is attached. I can send measurements of this case if need be. I thing other then the length it is going to be the same.

View attachment 184485

Tony

JD, I just pulled it out of one of the trash bags of spent motors that I picked up. I don't have or use those AeroPack things. I can measure the ID of the ejection well if that will help.

Tony

Jim, The OD of the thrust ring is 2.230 It's roughly 0.300 wide. The inside of the ejection well is tapered 0.608 (as deep as I can get the calipers) to 0.635 The ejection well and epoxy is slightly crowned up. The ejection well extends 0.466 from where the case ends. I'm 5' 11" and about 187 lbs.

Tony

Measuring the one I have, I find this:
Thrust ring measures 2.225" diameter x 3/8" long, but - it's epoxied 1/16" inch up the case, taking up 7/16" length.
Case length is 24 15/16" Charge well extends 1/2" Nozzle extends 1 1/8"
Total length overall is 26 9/16"

thank you sir... I'll go check the slimline against those numbers.
it should all fit with a few tweaks to the av-bay...

I have got to fly me one of these motors.
If a K550 W sent my rocket to 9,973’; what would that L1000 do for it?

As far as the thrust ring dia. I can’t imagine AeroTech marketing this motor with dimensions that would preclude the use of the most popular styles of aftermarket motor retainers ie. AeroPac and Slimline.

Jim, I don"t have specifics on dimensions but can give some information from experience. If you are using slimline retainer with snap ring, it can be very hard to install because of the epoxy holding the nozzle in place. Modified powder well by using 17 mm tap,putting small piece of thin card board over hole in bottom,then epoxy eyebolt in well with J&B Weld. Worked very well, unfortunately when launched at Airfest( Saturday) the nozzle blew after 1.3 sec. of flight. Good luck...

This is an older thread so my questions may not be seen here. But, I'll try anyway. At worst, it's an opportunity to organize my thoughts. ;-) I'm trying to understand the detail of what's actually at the forward end of a current L1000 motor.

* From the dimensions in this thread, it appears that the charge well protrudes somewhere between 0.466" and 0.5" from the front of the case. Though, I not sure if that does or does not include the crown of the epoxy. In other words, is that protrusion dimension from the top face of the epoxy crown OR is it from the forward edge of the actual case? (As I can visualize, it may be difficult to actually see the forward edge of the case due to the epoxy crown or dome.)

* From other information I've been able to glean, perhaps the modern charge well is different than the taper reported by @tfish, i.e. "... tapered 0.608 (as deep as I can get the calipers) to 0.635 ...". I hear of people using these in Minimum Diameter rockets with a forward retainer. Does the current version of the charge well have a threaded portion or, at least, smaller internal diameter (which may be threaded by the user)? Threaded outer diameter? Or, is the threaded portion "below" that tapered portion described by @tfish? Or, more likely, the threads are in the small flash hole between the charge well and delay grain. (Confirm?)

* Wherever the thread may or may not be (see above), what is the thread size and pitch OR what is the diameter of the flash hole so that a user might know what kind of tap is necessary to thread it before a flight?

I'm trying to design a forward retention scheme for an MD rocket which will accommodate a range of CTI reloads AND the L1000 DMS while taking up only a minimum of the valuable space for recovery gear. While CTI has nice dimensional drawings, I can't find the same detail for AeroTech DMS.

Thanks, in advance.

I'm trying to design a forward retention scheme for an MD rocket which will accommodate a range of CTI reloads AND the L1000 DMS while taking up only a minimum of the valuable space for recovery gear. While CTI has nice dimensional drawings, I can't find the same detail for AeroTech DMS.
AFAIK they don't exist.

I have an expended L1000 from several years ago. It has a small plastic forward charge well about 3/4" OD and ~3/8" long protruding/epoxied into the top of the motor, with a small hole (roughly 1/4"), not tapped, which has very little meat on it. I could imagine tapping it for 1/4-20 but I wouldn't count on that holding, and would instead want to thread the outside of the closure like the Aeropack MD retainer does with CTI, or try to epoxy something into the charge well. But I have no way of knowing if current motors look the same, I think the freedom to tweak the design is one reason why AT doesn't document this.

I don't have calipers but could try to do a better job of measuring what I have, assuming I haven't talked you out of this. The AT L1080 mechanical interface is much better defined. I've always friction-fit my 54mm MD rockets.

I've not seen AT 54mm DMS FC's come with threads. CTI have some FC that come threaded. I have added 'threads' to non threaded CTI FC which makes them fall into the Research classification.

Here are some AT links..they do not have measurements to them per say..

https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/54mm_Forward_Bulkhead/p1577809_13938135.aspx
https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/54...Experimental_Motor_Kit/p1577809_15297170.aspx

https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.n...yimages/generic_54mm_hp_emk_assy_no_liner.pdf

Tony

Here are a couple of pics of the one I have. The well stick up above the end of the case by about 3/8". The well is just short of 3/4" deep. The well is about 0.63 on top and 0.6 at the base as listed previously. The diameter of it is too small for one of the thread-in adaptors from Apogee for CTI motors.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...tainers/Pro-54_Delay_Ejection_Closure_Adapter

Let me know if you need any other dimensions.

Jim

IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2174.JPG

This is an older thread so my questions may not be seen here. But, I'll try anyway. At worst, it's an opportunity to organize my thoughts. ;-) I'm trying to understand the detail of what's actually at the forward end of a current L1000 motor.

* From the dimensions in this thread, it appears that the charge well protrudes somewhere between 0.466" and 0.5" from the front of the case. Though, I not sure if that does or does not include the crown of the epoxy. In other words, is that protrusion dimension from the top face of the epoxy crown OR is it from the forward edge of the actual case? (As I can visualize, it may be difficult to actually see the forward edge of the case due to the epoxy crown or dome.)

* From other information I've been able to glean, perhaps the modern charge well is different than the taper reported by @tfish, i.e. "... tapered 0.608 (as deep as I can get the calipers) to 0.635 ...". I hear of people using these in Minimum Diameter rockets with a forward retainer. Does the current version of the charge well have a threaded portion or, at least, smaller internal diameter (which may be threaded by the user)? Threaded outer diameter? Or, is the threaded portion "below" that tapered portion described by @tfish? Or, more likely, the threads are in the small flash hole between the charge well and delay grain. (Confirm?)

* Wherever the thread may or may not be (see above), what is the thread size and pitch OR what is the diameter of the flash hole so that a user might know what kind of tap is necessary to thread it before a flight?

Thanks, in advance.
If you are intending to fly an L1000 in a Wildman Mach 2, I would do exactly what Tfish has described in post 2 of this thread. A robust forward retention scheme is just not needed in 54mm. The rocket is so stinking light, you will be just fine tying into the top of the motor casing, but as always, YMMV.

Thank you all for the replies. Obviously, I've substantially misunderstood what exists at the forward end of an L1000. This all helps. So, individually...

@mikec, as rfjustin has guessed, this is indeed a Wildman Mach 2 project. While the AT L1080 may be one of the motors used "along the way" I, ultimately, want to fly an L1000 in it at least once. I have a substantial investment in CTI cases / components so I'm trying to come up with a way to use them along the way too. There is actually a second Mach 2 which a friend is hoping to build as a L1/L2 cert. In that case, he hopes to fly on a CTI 38mm for L1 cert, a hotter CTI 54mm for L2 cert, and, hopefully, an L1000 for some Mach 2+ fun once certified. My research here is mostly so that I can suggest a solution which accommodates that whole range without excessively decreasing the space available for recovery. While the Aero Pack forward retainer, and its related adapters, extensions, etc., is an obvious solution, that whole "stack" uses up about an extra 1.5 to 2 inches out of the precious recovery space; especially when you consider it must be mounted at the farthest forward point to accommodate the longest motor (and adapter stack) that one intends to fly. I'm hoping to design / build something which offers similar utility yet doesn't take up quite as much space. I may conclude that it's just not practical to do it this way, but I'm not quite there yet... ;-)

@tfish, yes, thank you, and for the other comments / information from earlier on in the post. The links you provided give some insight into what's going on in the construction of the motor itself. Very valuable. While I'm open to solutions bordering on experimental motors, I'm hoping to avoid that in my recommendation for my friend on the L1/L2 cert path; at least initially. ;-)

@JimJarvis50, thank you for the comments and the photos. The photos help clear up some of the questions I've had on the construction of the motor itself. I wasn't quite sure how the charge well interacted with the epoxy crown / dome. And, as mikec pointed out, AT likely doesn't publish the drawings as that gives them some freedom in evolving the internal build process a bit. This is all starting to support my thoughts that I'm going to have to get a motor(s) in hand, spent or otherwise, before I can really "lock in" any design I come up with given that I'm hoping to accommodate such a large variety of motors. Again, the pictures help a bunch. Thank you.

@rfjustin, yes I like that idea too. If I was just setting up a rocket to fly one brand / model of motor, that would be perfect. And, I may end up doing that in my own rocket. I'm still holding out hope that I can come up with a "clever" solution which accommodates a wide range of motors.

gfunk has a nice design for a MD retainer here Wildman's MACH 2 rocket. One advantage, relative to Aero Pack's similar device, is that it doesn't get bonded in. Instead the little cylindrical array of threaded holes allows it to be moved fore and aft to accommodate a small range of motor lengths.

And, there's the classic bolt (or all thread) through a bulkhead like this Wildman's MACH 2 rocket shared by Cameron Anderson.

Along with some combination of friction fit and/or aluminum tape, any of these solutions are likely to work. One common aspect is that I'll need to know the dimension a) from the front of the thrust ring to the absolute most forward protruding feature of the motor AND b) the front of the thrust ring to wherever a user threaded "nut" would begin and end in order to make much progress. Without being a PITA to anyone who offered dimensions, I think this is going to take some motors in hand... ;-) I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I've hijacked the thread too, though I promise to publish any information I'm able to glean.

Again, thanks to all for comments and information! It is greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind that it may not possible to fly a wide range of motors in a relatively short MD rocket without changing the nose weight substantially.

Last night I was thinking of tapping the BP well with 5/8 ths threads. But a 5/8 bolt just slides right into the well. A guy with a 3D printer could easily come up with an ABS plug tapped to 5/16 that would simply glue into the well. Some photos showing 3 spent L1000. Showing various amounts of epoxy and lengths.

20200414_090933.jpg 20200414_090959.jpg Tony

@mikec, yup. I always check, but thanks for the reminder. That has been a big part of the consideration. I'll help my friend select some motors for cert flights and will likely do something similar for myself. I think it's kind of nice to ramp up to the final motor to provide some opportunity for shakedown flights anyway.

@tfish, Tony, thank you for the extra pictures. It's interesting to see the variation. Goes from having the first shoulder completely exposed to completely covered. Looking at the JimJarvis50 photos, it appears that the shoulder is not only exposed but, perhaps, even a bit protruding from the epoxy crown. Interesting...

I'm learning that whatever I might come up with, it's going to have to support some fraction of an inch of overall length variation; maybe 1/4 to 3/8 in the longitudinal axis for the "longest" motor.

I'm really glad I posed the questions. Thanks to you all, this is very educational.

Last night I was thinking of tapping the BP well with 5/8 ths threads. But a 5/8 bolt just slides right into the well. A guy with a 3D printer could easily come up with an ABS plug tapped to 5/16 that would simply glue into the well. Some photos showing 3 spent L1000. Showing various amounts of epoxy and lengths.

View attachment 412364 View attachment 412365 Tony

Hi T, Can you post some real world data as to what you got out of theses loads? meaning Rocket, Dia, Length, Weight, Altitude and maybe a pic or two. Thanks much Gary T.

I did not fly them..so I have no data. I 'collect' them to make other 'single use' Research motors from. And some to make couplers from.

Tony

Just to add some more info..

I put some more thought into this..
how about..

For 38mm DMS motors
1/4" Pipe Tap
1/4" pipe plug McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/44705K383
5/16 - 18 Tap
"F" drill bit

For 54mm DMS motors.
3/8" pipe Tap
3/8 Pipe plud McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/44705K384
5/16-18 Tap
"F" Drill bit

DMS1.jpg

dms2.jpg

How strong is it? I made up a test rig..

DMS3.jpg

Here's a short unedited video.

It was easy to do and seemed secure enough.

Tony

Back