another Scratch built Single D12 Night Flying Mod-Roc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Actually this is a re-build of one of my older Single motor Night Launch models. the Original burned off the elastic shock-line. leaving only the LED lighted forward section to come back on it's 24" X-Form Nylon chute:( But at least I got the important parts back.

This time John says to himself....We ain't gonna loose the booster portion of this Rocket again!
So from the Body tube pile a new 18" BT-55 was selected. for the motor mount I used the Heavy wall, Foil lined BT-50 with the last of my pre-made BT-55/BT50 14ply sho-card centering rings. But this time we weren't about to use Kevlar or just elastic as the Shock-cord anchor. Nope this time I went with 1/16"x 15", 500lb test, 1x19strand Stainless aviation cable with crimped eye loops. To this is added another 48" of 1/8" oval braided Elastic.

Since this entire rocket is a NO Paint Project. The Main body tube was covered with Blue Metal flake adhesive backed Vinyl. our TA-50/55 transition was previously CA hardened and covered with Red Metal Flake vinyl. to balance it out a little I covered the extended BT-50 motor tube with Red Vinyl also.

Fins for this model are .063" White styrene plastic covered with Blue & Red Metal Flake Vinyl and 1/4" square Silver Art-Foil to give a sort-of Red, White & Blue overall color scheme.
Attachment of these Styrene fins to the cardboard Body require a bit more then butt joints but didn't want to bother with TTW tabs. Instead used the epoxy rivet method to mount the .57" OD clear cylume holders and to the body tube.
Because this is a fairly light model with a D12 I decide to also help control the altitude a bit by Canting all 3 fins Left 2° to induce a pretty high spin rate. this should also make the Cylume Glo-stick tipped fins make a nifty pattern in the night sky. These fins are further strengthened by Blue Tinted Epoxy Fillets.

Our old forward end Illuminated section is made up of a .97" od x 14.75" clear Polyethylene mailing tube with an internal .44" x 13" frosted sanded clear tube containing 5- multi-color 5mm 3000-5000mcd LEDs powered by a single 3v 20mm CR-2032 Lith coin cell and holder. Our Nose cone is an unpainted Yellow PNC-50y Plastic cone with a 5000mcd red Led which lights the cone RED during flight.

All together the model I call "ONE LONG NIGHT" is 38" long. with a LOWT" with a D12-5 of 237.6g or 8.38oz.

Man I can't wait to get this one back in the air Saturday Sept 20th. Should be fun both during it's daylight Shake down first flight. and hopefully we get it back to fly at the clubs annual Night Launch a little later that evening.

642b-uc01_Major Rebuild Parts_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc02_MMT Shockline Anchor-elastic_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc03a_Body & Fins Vinyl Covered_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc03b_Body & Fins Vinyl & Artfoil Covered_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc05_Fins Attached 2° cant_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc07_Blue Stained epoxy Fillerts applied_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc06_Fins on with Cylumes in holders_09-14-14.jpg

642b-uc08_OneLongNight Rebuilt_09-14-14.jpg

Be sure to get a video of the launches! Way cool.

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Well guys She is a Sweet flying model!
Great flights on D12-5's have ejection just as she reaches apogee. 2 deg fin cant induces a very nice spin but at Night the Glow-sticks are masked by the Bright flame from the Motor. During daylight flights the spin is very obvious.

Have a couple still shots of the model on the pad and did catch a pretty good video with my camera (First time I've used this function on my cannon) but have just realized I have no idea how to edit or upload the video file LOL!
It's been a pretty busy week so I haven't gotten most of the Launches photos out and edited.
I'll post more of them sometime this week. Will have to get the book out on what to do with the video LOL!

642b-Lp01a_One Long Night-Shackdown Flight_09-20-14.jpg

Last edited:
Back