What's your recovery surface?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recovery surface?

• Concrete

• Playa

• Scrubland

• Hard dirt/grass

• Soft dirt/grass

• Planted fields

• Snow

• Sand

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
MDRA - sod farm summers, crop farm (harvested) winters
NARHAMS - sports field
URRG - crop farm

But I have landed in streets (asphalt), ditches, a pond, trees, telephone wires ....

My votes were pretty much what Bat-mite says since we both fly at MDRA and NARHAMS. I'll add to his 'landed on list': metal roofed farm structures, those long crawling irrigators, gravel roads, and running irrigation ditches.

Is there really much of a difference between playa and concrete?
Well said - playa is marginally softer - but not much.

Depends on the time of year, I would think. Early in the year, nice and hard, the equivalent of asphalt pavement; later in the year, the surface drys out and is softer and fluffier. Still frickin hard though.

I've found that 18 fps with fiberglass rockets results in no damage except eroded paint.

All the best, James

Usually a matress or couch except at overnight launches when it's a sleeping pad... Oh wait, you're asking about rockets. That would be mostly playa which can vary considerably depending on how wet it is and whether it has been packed down or kicked up. Generally it is a softer landing than a packed dirt trail but much more abrasive.

Last edited:
You did not mention Power Lines.

We fly in an old cotton field which is as hard as concrete, with decaying concrete culverts. Scrub and thorny trees are fun and popular landing places also.

Sagebrush and scattered grasses. Not overly hard, but it's amazing how big of a rocket can disappear in the stuff.

And salt flats. I can't imagine landing on anything harder.

We still hold out hope you'll fly with us at Bong in the winter.
Heh, no we don't. When you're clenching heat packs in June, there's not enough heat packs on the planet for January! Love ya' CJ!

Now the smarter thing to do would be:

Come join ME in the WINTER for some WARM flying. Every month at Oburg! Year round.

Preston N is now a convert.....ask him how nice it is.

Or maybe the GRITS Winternationals in southern Goergia during Feb. when it's frozen solid up there.

Now the smarter thing to do would be:

Come join ME in the WINTER for some WARM flying. Every month at Oburg! Year round.

Preston N is now a convert.....ask him how nice it is.

Or maybe the GRITS Winternationals in southern Goergia during Feb. when it's frozen solid up there.

Careful what you wish for. I might just take you up on that.

Back