Comments about the FLAIL kit from The Launch Pad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morlock

Reaction score
I have tried to find more info about the FLAIL kit from The Launch Pad and have found little on the forum. There is also no review on www.rocketreviews.com

I am itching to buy one of these cause I find them damn sexy but would like to have your opinion on the kit.

Do you own one? Do you like it? Please share your thoughts and pictures!

Last edited:
I have not built any TLP "kits" but I am aware of the general MO of The Launch Pad - they are builder's kits. The raw materials are provided with some instructions but understand that these are much more involved than your standard Estes build. If you are up for a challenge and enjoy fiddling around to make something work, these are perfect. If you're expecting to dump parts out, push out the laser-cut fins, glue and paint like a typical kit you might not be that interested.

If you DO pick it up, do a build thread and a review!

I am presently finishing building a scratch two stage payload rocket, so I guess I can step away from level 1 and 2 kits without too much problem. :)

Of course, if I build one, I could start a build thread.

JP Morgan on here did one awhile back. I'll see if I can find his Build Thread for you.

That said, for the Price, even if you don't like it it's not like your out a bunch of Money.
I say go for it ofcourse, being that TLP is my Favorite Brand.

Thanks for the link TopRamen. Like you say, the money is not even a concern at that price, even if the shipping to my location may end up as expensive as the kit itself. However, I still want to know more about the kit and what people think of it.

I know you are partial to TLP :) Is the FLAIL a kit you would consider building yourself?

Last edited:
Yes, I would like a Flail Kit, but it's not as interesting to me as the Models they make that are of actual Missiles. The Reason being that when I do one of their Kits, I do a lot of Research/Reading about the actual Missile, and learn a little bit of History and cool Facts.
The front Fins look like they present a unique challenge. JP Morgan lengthened his Body Tube to add Stability.
It being a "Launch Pad Original", I suppose you could do whatever you like with it.
I guess if I had'nt built a TLP Kit, this would not be my first Choice. It is kinda' obscure, and yeah, you won't find many that have built it to share Notes with.

I don't really like the FLAIL. Adding to the length did help stability I'm sure.
I never got it drawn up in OpenRocket but I've got too much nose weight, that's probably
why I don't like it. As it slows down in speed it noses over bad. A 5 second delay puts it close
to dirt before deployment!
I never tried a 3 second delay but I'm sure that would be about right for mine.
The way I fastened the nose weight it can't be taken out easily so I'm kind of bummed about that.
It looks cool though!
I have an Aerotech RMS so I may try a larger motor one day. Probably try the AT D15-4T.

If I had it to do over I would make the rear fins to go through the wall. I've glued them back in place
3 times now!

JP

Last edited:
I don't really like the FLAIL. Adding to the length did help stability I'm sure.
I never got it drawn up in OpenRocket but I've got too much nose weight, that's probably
why I don't like it. As it slows down in speed it noses over bad. A 5 second delay puts it close
to dirt before deployment!
I never tried a 3 second delay but I'm sure that would be about right for mine.
The way I fastened the nose weight it can't be taken out easily so I'm kind of bummed about that.
It looks cool though!
I have an Aerotech RMS so I may try a larger motor one day. Probably try the AT D15-4T.

If I had it to do over I would make the rear fins to go through the wall. I've glued them back in place
3 times now!

JP

Thanks for the Update JP.
My TAN-SAM is like that. A 3 Second delay and it deploys the Chute' at near Apogee, but a 5 and it's coming down hard.

So, what you did not like is the flight performance on the suggested motor? An E motor is not recommended but would it work safely? I see no reason why not if i build solid enough. Of course, I would do a simulation and a swing test before I launch something on an E motor :)

If the thing is too sluggish, I could do a 1.6 inch version for 24 mm motors. That should make it fly.

I would definitely go for TTW fins.

Last edited:
First flight D12-3. You can get by with the 5 second delay but you're risking a chance of a Zipper.
I forgot to mention that it Weather Cocks rather easily, must be the front fins...

Not sure how it would fly on an E. Personally I would stay with the upper D's until it's
habits are determined then let er rip on the E!

JP

First flight D12-3. You can get by with the 5 second delay but you're risking a chance of a Zipper.
I forgot to mention that it Weather Cocks rather easily, must be the front fins...

Not sure how it would fly on an E. Personally I would stay with the upper D's until it's
habits are determined then let er rip on the E!

JP

Good advice.

I just had confirmation of the shipment from Randy at www.eRockets.biz

I want to let you guys know that Randy offers first class customer service. I won't hesitate to do business with him again.

Last edited:
Sweet! Glad to hear that you are going for it.
A Black Powder E is pretty heavy, and will screw up your CG, but there are Single Use Composite E Motors which would likely be good for a Rocket like this.

D12-3s':

[video=youtube;SO6ylhJma9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6ylhJma9U#t=18[/video]

D12-5s':

[video=youtube;VwLYp0sNXoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwLYp0sNXoM[/video]

<moving> pictures worth 1000 words at least. Nice, Top ! Gravity (and mass and drag) wins again.

The FLAIL arrived this morning at my parents' place. I should have it tomorrow! :)

Can't wit to see build pics!!:)

Thought about getting a TLP kit

I'm all excited too! TLP Kits are so much fun for learning different Techniques.
I always study Sodmiesters Build Threads while I build them.
From him I've learned the best way to do the "Paper Hats" and about using Finishing Epoxy.

Can't wit to see build pics!!:)

Thought about getting a TLP kit
The FLAIL is part of my "Winter Projects", so the build may not begin that soon. Since it has rarely been covered on TRF, I'll try to keep in mind to do a build thread.

I have not built the Flail but I have seen others from stock to heavily modified, from D 12 3 to peppy composites. It might be a little more forgiving than a TLP Martel but not by much. An experienced rocketeer at the club did heavy mods, fiberglass and other awesome HEMAN mods, stuck in a composite motor and gave the himself a good scare as it flew over his head, heading for a speedy horizontal deploy. Surprising how much stinking, performance robbing nose weight was actually needed. After repairs the second flight was OK. The third flight lawn darted and I think he was able to save the fins and is rebuilding again.

Built stock with decent technique you should be fine on all recommended motors. If you need bigger 24mm motors, then the rule is any addition weight on the hind end has to go in the nose as well. A well built TLP kit and take even the new F 44 if it doesn't CATO.

I have not built the Flail but I have seen others from stock to heavily modified, from D 12 3 to peppy composites. It might be a little more forgiving than a TLP Martel but not by much. An experienced rocketeer at the club did heavy mods, fiberglass and other awesome HEMAN mods, stuck in a composite motor and gave the himself a good scare as it flew over his head, heading for a speedy horizontal deploy. Surprising how much stinking, performance robbing nose weight was actually needed. After repairs the second flight was OK. The third flight lawn darted and I think he was able to save the fins and is rebuilding again.

Built stock with decent technique you should be fine on all recommended motors. If you need bigger 24mm motors, then the rule is any addition weight on the hind end has to go in the nose as well. A well built TLP kit and take even the new F 44 if it doesn't CATO.

That's the thing that really grinds my Gears about TLP. Everybody "Knows a Guy" who did this or that to his TLP Kit, and then it scared a bunch of People and flew all Crazy and almost killed a bunch of Children, but nobody ever has a Video or Pics' of said event.
Really pisses me off.:mad:

Now I'm not sayin' that it did'nt happen, I'm just sayin' that nobody can ever back up those remarks with a Video, which as far as I'm concerned, makes those comments a load of B.S.
Just sayin', next time folks want to scare folks away from TLP Kits, they should bring something a little more solid than a Story.
LIKE A VIDEO! Seems that folks Video every single Launch at these Club Events anyhow, so why no Videos of the TLP Nightmare Launches????
Just sayin'.

That's the thing that really grinds my Gears about TLP. Everybody "Knows a Guy" who did this or that to his TLP Kit, and then it scared a bunch of People and flew all Crazy and almost killed a bunch of Children, but nobody ever has a Video or Pics' of said event.
Really pisses me off.:mad:

Now I'm not sayin' that it did'nt happen, I'm just sayin' that nobody can ever back up those remarks with a Video, which as far as I'm concerned, makes those comments a load of B.S.
Just sayin', next time folks want to scare folks away from TLP Kits, they should bring something a little more solid than a Story.
LIKE A VIDEO! Seems that folks Video every single Launch at these Club Events anyhow, so why no Videos of the TLP Nightmare Launches????
Just sayin'.

This was about three to four years ago near the end of the day. Not as many fancy phones around then and even fewer youngsters who know how to use them. If he had taken a video he wouldn't have posted it on this forum! That was one of the last heavy mod TLP kit flights I remember. There are plenty of nasty videos out there so maybe one day a TLP one will show up. Until then you just have the forums and rocket reviews for the good old TLP disaster stories.

If "another guy I know" flies his seven motor Krypton he has in his trunk I will be sure to get a video!

This was about three to four years ago near the end of the day. Not as many fancy phones around then and even fewer youngsters who know how to use them. If he had taken a video he wouldn't have posted it on this forum! That was one of the last heavy mod TLP kit flights I remember. There are plenty of nasty videos out there so maybe one day a TLP one will show up. Until then you just have the forums and rocket reviews for the good old TLP disaster stories.

If "another guy I know" flies his seven motor Krypton he has in his trunk I will be sure to get a video!

I was'nt calling you out personally, as I know that you have plenty of successful TLP Goodness in your Collection, I was rather expresing my Frustration that in general, we on the Internet never get to see one of these Catastrophes.
I have read about them on "Rocket Reviews" and heard the Stories here, but I really, really want to see what it looks like when it goes down.
I can understand that perhaps someone would take a Video, but be ashamed to post it.
I went to Youtube last night to try to find a TLP Fail Video but could not. You would think that in todays Camera Rich Environment that there has got to be atleast ONE!!!

I've seen a number of 'interesting' flights of Wildman jarts...mostly from people who are making the jump from low power Estes kits to mid-power kits. mostly I suspect that they haven't needed to check the cg/cp locations before, or what size motor might be needed just to get the model off the ground.
Rex

Which makes me think, before I go and create one, is there a RockSim or Open Rocket file for the FLAIL? Probably not, but worth asking before I create one. :)

Back