arm switch on 38mm AV bay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKeller

Reaction score
I'm planning out my 38mm bay for a darkstar mini. I'm going to use an RRC2+ with a lipo battery. is there a small arming switch that will package well or should I just plug in the battery and put it together right before a flight?

I'm planning on twisting the wires together once on the launch pad and closing the rocket up. I don't know if it would work for you because my nose cone is part of my avbay and I can just pull it apart when needed.

Twist and tape works.

I myself really like Featherweight's magnetic switches in this type of instance.

s6

I did twist and tape for my L2. You hang the wires to the battery out a vent hole, twist them and then tape them to the side of the rocket. Twist and tuck is another method, but leaves no safe way to disarm on the pad) a small screw switch works too.

The altimeter has to be unarmed until you're mounted and vertical on the pad so you can't arm then build the rocket. Moving it around and having air pass over the ports can cause the altimeter to fire charges. (built in delays/triggers help prevent this in many altimeters, but why risk it) A few went off at URRF from wind, but they were on the pads and no one was near them.

Prep the altimeter, assemble bay, install BP, install recovery, install motor, take to pad, get vertical, arm altimeters, install ignitor, clips, check continuity, kiss it and pray :)

Last edited:

Prep the altimeter, assemble bay, install BP, install recovery, install motor, take to pad, get vertical, arm altimeters, install ignitor, clips, check continuity, kiss it and pray :)

so Dave, what happens if you forget a step, for example "install BP"? :cool:

I do love the idea of the magnetic switch, but I think a home made screw switch will satisfy the cheap ba$tard in me and seems a little more (insert warm fuzzy feeling here) than twisting wires together.

Latest posts

Back