Minie Magg: L1 cert build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it Thirsty! ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

LOL! Rocketry enablers!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this Minie Magg rocket and your Doorknob in person at October skies. They both look great from what I can see on the forum, and i want a closer look. I think there will be an LOC kit in my future.

LOL! Rocketry enablers!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this Minie Magg rocket and your Doorknob in person at October skies. They both look great from what I can see on the forum, and i want a closer look. I think there will be an LOC kit in my future.

We love helping others spend money.

The Minie Magg is a great ship for getting your L1 cert. It flies well on a range of motors from basic H motors to the lower end I motors. Has enough drag so that it remain at a fairly low altitude and it's big enough to stay visible.

I'd run a sim or two before trying to run it on G motor by the blimp hangars at Ames. Just to be safe.

Ari has flown his at Moffett on a G. It can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

G77, G78 work according to rocksim (using Chris's base drag technique and no nose weight) with 4 second delays. I want to try the CTI G54, at 159 Ns it's basically an H but can be flown at Moffet. CTI actually has several 29mm motors with 159 ns, so there are options for flying it at Moffet.

I weighed the partially built rocket with all the components and a G78, and it's 66 oz, so the first flight will have to be certification.

Is the extra thrust needed? Thanks for the recommendation, I'll run a rocksim for them and see if they stay under 1000 feet. I keep forgetting you can fly motors with average thrust >80 N at Moffet.

Edit: G125 and G118 both seem to work well, around 970 feet but rocksim is typically a bit optimistic. G126 and G250 also look like good lower altitude options. The G125, G126 and G118 sim to around 55 ft/s off the rail, G54 is surprisingly fast at 47 ft/s (I didn't realize that motor starts at 120 N.)

Last edited:
Are you doing your cert flight on a CTI motor? What motor are you using?

It's interesting that LUNAR actually allows flights that are technically HPR at Moffett. >80 N and >1500 grams are ok as far as I know, as long as it's not more than a G motor.

I forgot that the G54 has that thrust spike. I flew one in my Estes Nike Smoke at Dairy Aire. Although it was just a speck at apogee the motor wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped it would be. It had almost no smoke and wasn't that loud either. I at least want to see a long smoke trail out of a long burn motor.

Thristy, I'm going to cert on a 29mm H123 Skidmark- it's a very low impulse H and simmed to 1090 feet. I also plan to get a few higher impulse H's for this and the G-force to fly after cert, and I may try to do both NAR and Tripoli L1 certification to have extra options.

Chris, it seems like the G54 is a lot like the blue thunder motors: unimpressive smoke and flame, but lots of thrust and great impulse. Is 47 ft/s off the rail fast enough to be safe? I think since it's safe to fly on a lower thrust/velocity G78 it's probably safe.

No need to do 2 L1 certifications. NAR accepts TRA certs and TRA accepts NAR certs. All you need to do is to send a copy of the Cert to the other organization and you will get a new membership card with the new cert level.

Bob

I flew this rocket 4 times at October Skies. First flight was an H123 29mm Skid, for L1 certification:
H123.jpg
It flew great, although the 7 second delay was too long and it deployed after falling maybe 100 feet. I flew 5 second delays for the other flights and it worked much better.

Second flight was an H410, very nice fast flight:
H410.jpg
You can just barely see mach diamonds in the exhaust. This was a very nice flight, the rocket climbed very fast, and deployed right at apogee.

The third flight was a G125 red lightning, and while I don't have any pics this was another good flight. This flies basically the same on a 159 Ns G and a 170 Ns H. I may fly this rocket at a moffet launch, I bought two more G125s for either moffet or snow ranch.

Final flight was an H175:
H175.jpg
Also flew very well, nice fast burning motor.

I'm pretty sure I saw your cert flight. And yes, the delay was a bit long but you figured that out and no harm done.

Next launch, shove an I212SS up the pipe and "break the surly bonds of Earth."

Congrats on completing your build and getting your L1 ticket punched.

G77, G78 work according to rocksim (using Chris's base drag technique and no nose weight) with 4 second delays. I want to try the CTI G54, at 159 Ns it's basically an H but can be flown at Moffet. CTI actually has several 29mm motors with 159 ns, so there are options for flying it at Moffet.

I weighed the partially built rocket with all the components and a G78, and it's 66 oz, so the first flight will have to be certification.

Someone say magg on G's? 53oz on the pad G77R, G76G. Clean slow flights. When did they go 1/4"? I'd love that (after cracking my fins off >< ) I fixed mine, added 3 29's, and decided I wanted another G powered one.... my wife stole it for her L1. Jerk. Now I need another.....

6232456685_ab71237083.jpg
8195819595_d1735477f0.jpg

Don't know when they went to 1/4" but I bought this one from hobbylinc mid august. It was 65 oz on the pad with a 3 grain G125, aeropack adapter, 48" spherachute, lots of quick links, etc. I built it pretty light (epoxy with titebond for fillets) but between the 1/4" fins and the other upgrades it still weighs a lot. ThirstyBarbarian and I were discussing the possibility of flying it on G78s or G80s at moffet. I'm thinking the G80 won't work, because the shortest delay is 7 seconds. G77/G79/G78 might work, but I'm a bit worried about velocity off the rail.

Don't know when they went to 1/4" but I bought this one from hobbylinc mid august. It was 65 oz on the pad with a 3 grain G125, aeropack adapter, 48" spherachute, lots of quick links, etc. I built it pretty light (epoxy with titebond for fillets) but between the 1/4" fins and the other upgrades it still weighs a lot. ThirstyBarbarian and I were discussing the possibility of flying it on G78s or G80s at moffet. I'm thinking the G80 won't work, because the shortest delay is 7 seconds. G77/G79/G78 might work, but I'm a bit worried about velocity off the rail.
As far as I know, you can use the new Aerotech delay tool and drill out the delay element from the top. Don't hold me to this but...it may be you drill out 1/16" of an inch for each second you want to remove. Verify this before you try it.

As far as I know, you can use the new Aerotech delay tool and drill out the delay element from the top. Don't hold me to this but...it may be you drill out 1/16" of an inch for each second you want to remove. Verify this before you try it.

I believe it's 1/32" per second.

I got to witness the three flights of the Minie Magg and they were all great!

I felt a little bit bad about the circumstances of the L1 flight because it was so rushed. The club wanted to close the waiver at 6pm, and at first it seemed like plenty of time, but buying and prepping the motor took a bit longer than expected. And then the person advising on the cert was a bit rushed at that point too because he had other things he was also trying to do at the LCO desk at the same time. He asked SC to Z fold the shock cord and put a wrap of tape around it to keep it organized. He also wanted SC to add some duct tape to the nose cone to make it fit tighter. These were both new techniques. There was some discussion about using masking tape instead but the advisor felt duct tape was better. The fit was pretty tight with the tape, and on a couple of tries at fitting the NC a sticky roll got started and wedged the NC in tight. That got straightened out, but it took a few minutes. The advisor was happy with the fit with only a few minutes left to launch the rocket!

When it took off, the launch was just beautiful. The light was starting to get low, so the skidmark motor was really bright. The rocket went up, arced over, and started to drop. It just kept dropping and picking up speed! At some point I thought, "It's the duct tape! It's stuck! It's gonna crash! Nooooooo!!!" Finally the chute deployed, but not before I had a minor heart attack on behalf of SC.

It all worked out great in the end. But the rush to beat the deadline was unfortunate. A cert flight is a great time to learn some new techniques from the advisor, but you don't get the most out of it doing it in a rush. And I don't mean any criticism of the club or the advisor! He's a great guy and very knowledgable about rocketry, and the club did a fantastic job handling a ton of certs. I guess my main point is that the circumstances added a bit to the tension of the cert flight and the drama of the long delay.

Congratulations and good job SC!

My pod rocket weighed in at 69oz for my cert flight with an H115 DMS motor on my cert flight. And I flew it again later on a G79-4 SU for a perfect low and slow flight on my last flight of the launch. Were you still there for that one? It worked fine, and I'm confident the mods to the rocket did not put it over the edge for G77/G79/G78 motors at Moffett. Your Minie Magg weighs almost exactly the same, and I think it would work fine.

I got to witness the three flights of the Minie Magg and they were all great!

I felt a little bit bad about the circumstances of the L1 flight because it was so rushed. The club wanted to close the waiver at 6pm, and at first it seemed like plenty of time, but buying and prepping the motor took a bit longer than expected. And then the person advising on the cert was a bit rushed at that point too because he had other things he was also trying to do at the LCO desk at the same time. He asked SC to Z fold the shock cord and put a wrap of tape around it to keep it organized. He also wanted SC to add some duct tape to the nose cone to make it fit tighter. These were both new techniques. There was some discussion about using masking tape instead but the advisor felt duct tape was better. The fit was pretty tight with the tape, and on a couple of tries at fitting the NC a sticky roll got started and wedged the NC in tight. That got straightened out, but it took a few minutes. The advisor was happy with the fit with only a few minutes left to launch the rocket!

When it took off, the launch was just beautiful. The light was starting to get low, so the skidmark motor was really bright. The rocket went up, arced over, and started to drop. It just kept dropping and picking up speed! At some point I thought, "It's the duct tape! It's stuck! It's gonna crash! Nooooooo!!!" Finally the chute deployed, but not before I had a minor heart attack on behalf of SC.

It all worked out great in the end. But the rush to beat the deadline was unfortunate. A cert flight is a great time to learn some new techniques from the advisor, but you don't get the most out of it doing it in a rush. And I don't mean any criticism of the club or the advisor! He's a great guy and very knowledgable about rocketry, and the club did a fantastic job handling a ton of certs. I guess my main point is that the circumstances added a bit to the tension of the cert flight and the drama of the long delay.

Congratulations and good job SC!

I'm glad I learned how to fold the shock cord, it really helps on the Magg although it didn't work with the elastic cord on the G-force. I'm also glad the duct tape worked although I switched to masking tape for the next 3 flights. The nose cone was really lose before the tape, and it's hard to get the right balance between gluing the nose on and stopping the rocket from drag seperating. It was quite rushed to get everything ready but I'm glad everything worked. During the flight, I was sure it had failed to deploy, but then the charge fired and it deployed fine. Part of why I still wanted to cert on friday despite the lack of time was because I was not sure I would be able to fly much on saturday due to all the certs.

Good to know about the G79. I left before that flight but it's good to know your pod rocket (and probably the magg) is flyable at moffet. I'm a bit worried about stability on the magg since it basically relies on base drag.

Did anyone say L2 Cert?? I actually built mine for my L2. People say keep it simple on your certs so that's what I did. I built her heavy with glass laminated fins and some lead in then nose (I still managed to crack a fin inside the body tube). She weighed in at 4.6 ponds minus motor when she was done. Cert flight was a J357 to 3200 Feet. Luckily I didn't have to walk too far to find her. For some reason I just love the looks of this rocket. She'll fly primarily I motors from now on. Would love to see someone do a larger glass version.

Minie Magg Pic.jpg

Last edited:
Did anyone say L2 Cert?? I actually built mine for my L2. People say keep it simple on your certs so that's what I did. I built her heavy with glass laminated fins and some lead in then nose (I still managed to crack a fin inside the body tube). She weighed in at 4.6 ponds minus motor when she was done. Cert flight was a J357 to 3200 Feet. Luckily I didn't have to walk too far to find her. For some reason I just love the looks of this rocket. She'll fly primarily I motors from now on. Would love to see someone do a larger glass version.

Congratulations on the L2 and great livery on your Magg!

I flew this at Moffett on Saturday. I used a G125-5RL, which is actually not quite enough power off a 5 foot rail. LUNAR added great new blast deflectors to their MPR rails, but they shortened the length of the rails and the rocket banked into the wind a bit more than planned. Still a great flight with only minor damage on landing (which is fine to ignore, but I'm probably not flying this again at moffett)

MMliftoff3.jpg

MMliftoff2.png

MMliftoff1.png

Nice photos. You couldn't pay me to fly mine off concrete, just too fun a rocket to risk damage. You should take a road trip outside of CA with yours so you can fly it on a Loki H144. The most fun you can have with $25! Believe it or not, there is a Magg under that pillar of smoke.

DSC_0006-L.jpg

That's very cool. If I get to an Aeropack launch at Black Rock I might try to fly some Loki's. I don't normally fly rockets like this at Moffett, but now I know it can fly at Moffett. Maybe I could add mars lander style airbags to cushion the landing :p

The landing scratched up a fin and chipped a bit of the back BT. I think flying this at Moffett might need a bigger chute, 48" leads to a surprisingly fast landing.

The Minnie Magg is a great flying rocket. When you are ready...it makes a great level 1 rocket also. It flies great on high H's and I's. See the Wisconsin Tripoli website for photos of this years annual Minnie Magg drag race at Bong, WI. Greg Olson

The Minnie Magg is a great flying rocket. When you are ready...it makes a great level 1 rocket also. It flies great on high H's and I's. See the Wisconsin Tripoli website for photos of this years annual Minnie Magg drag race at Bong, WI. Greg Olson

It is great, I flew it for L1 about a month ago-see earlier in the thread. I definitely want to drag race it sometime.

Back