E-mail scam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screaminhelo

Shade Tree Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
I thought that I would post this to be sure that folks are aware since many here anxiously await some kind of shipment from time to time.

While waiting for shipment notification of my Estes order, I received a delivery failure notification e-mail. It instructed me to click a link to print the shipping label and take it to the USPS to pick up my package. The sender was not the US Postal Service and my mail carrier did not leave a delivery notification slip in the mail box. Suspicious all ready, I did some digging based on the sender's address and subject line and found quite a few red flags, no doubt in my mind that this is a scam. Activating the link in the message will, likely, install malware that will mine data from your hard drive to include log ins and passwords.

Even though folks here are generally savvy to such things, I wanted to give y'all a heads up and remind folks to read everything in the e-mail before you click any links. If something does not feel right then assume it is not right. Go outside the message and contact the claimed source independently to verify its validity before you put your personal information at risk.

I get about two of these a week, variously purporting to be from USPS, FEDEX, or UPS. Gmail is pretty good at automatically intercepting them and stuffing them in the spam folder where they belong.

If there's a hell, I hope there is a special circle in there for tormenting people that originate these scams...

I got one those scams three days ago regarding an Amazon order and they had even listed an Amazon like order number. Before clicking and opening the email I checked our Amazon account and found out that the numbers in the scam email was bogus, so I placed the email into the scam folder.

Back