bond spot putty handling question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with some epoxies is that they contain sensitizers, where as the bondo spot and glazing just contains stuff that kills brain cells and can give you cancer, but not really sensitize your skin.

If you are unfamiliar with MSDSs they are a great place to get a summary of the associated hazards:

MSDS for Bob Smith Epoxy note the part about skin sensitization

MSDS for Bondo Spot and Glazing putty. Note lots of bad effects, but no sensitization

All that being said, gloves (particularly nitrile) are never a bad idea when dealing with industrial chemicals. The worse thing they do os give you 20 cents worth of placebo effect.

I don't use gloves with Bondo. I do open a window. Smear it with a finger (quickly, it dries very fast), scrape it with a credit card. Tomorrow I sand.

Use it outdoors. Alot of times it says state of california has found it harmfull to your health (or something like that) you dont live in califonia so your ok.

I'm in Indiana so I have less of a chance to get sick . I do all epoxy and bondo outside and I wear gloves

+1 Take it from a chemist, glove are always a good idea when handling chemicals. Spot putty has some nasty solvents (stinky & bad for you/suspected carcinogens) in it too, so use in a well ventilated area. If you use huge amounts & prolonged exposure, use a carbon filled mask (you can get disposable ones at wallymart & home cheapo).

I wear Blue Nitrile Gloves when I use it. I also only use it outside because of the Vapors.

everything in California is bad for you, its become a mommy state
Use it outdoors. Alot of times it says state of california has found it harmfull to your health (or something like that) you dont live in califonia so your ok.

Back