Wildman Fiberglass Tube Diameters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenex

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any recently acquired Wildman Fiberglass 75mm Airframe, 54mm Airframe, and/or 54mm Coupler? I am planning to build my project out of these size tubes but don't want to have to wait to receive the routed tubes to start routing the centering rings or laser cutting the fins. I am hoping someone can accurately measure the inner and outer diameters of these products for me.

Can't help with the 75mm but here's the 54mm specs, airframe OD 2.281 ID 2.161 Coupler OD 2.152 ID 2.001

tube-diameters.jpg

They are the same as Performance Rocketry.

This chart is a screen shot from: https://www.scpconcepts.com/rocket-accesories.html

If you're laser cutting rings and you want to be dead on accurate, keep in mind that like any tube made, there are manufacturing tolerances of somewhere around +/-.005" on the 54mm, maybe +/-.008" on the 75mm. If you want to be as precise as you can, wait until you have your tubes in hand, as others may be slightly different.

Right now our tubing is the same as performances ,some are tapered.
Very soon that will all change.

I cannot wait to be able to purchase thin-wall tubes of GRP and MRP (money-reinforced plastics). Building tubes to the same dimensions and thicknesses as kraft paper tubes is a waste of material, money, and weight. We just need a whole line of those injection-molded nosecones to match...

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

here is the specs but these are not 100% accurate.
54 airframe 2.152-2.227
54coupler 2.00-2.150
75 airframe 3.00-3.125
these change from tube to tube also some may be tapered so one end will be different from the other.

I cannot wait to be able to purchase thin-wall tubes of GRP and MRP (money-reinforced plastics). Building tubes to the same dimensions and thicknesses as kraft paper tubes is a waste of material, money, and weight. We just need a whole line of those injection-molded nosecones to match...

:point::wave:

here is the specs but these are not 100% accurate.
54 airframe 2.152-2.227
54coupler 2.00-2.150
75 airframe 3.00-3.125
these change from tube to tube also some may be tapered so one end will be different from the other.

Is thin-wall 38mm tubing available by itself or only in the mini kits?

We just need a whole line of those injection-molded nosecones to match...

Interesting that you mention that. I have been eyeing up the 54 mm version. It must be lighter than the FW fiberglass VK cones. How much punishment could the injection molded nosecone take? Mach 2 or better? Any thoughts?

Things have changed with the new lite weight tubes.

How light are these? I thought that the standard Performance Rocketry airframes were on the order of 0.063 wall thickness and ca. 6.5 oz per foot for 54 mm airframe. Is there a significant difference? That would be cool.

Last edited:
Interesting that you mention that. I have been eyeing up the 54 mm version. It must be lighter than the FW fiberglass VK cones. How much punishment could the injection molded nosecone take? Mach 2 or better? Any thoughts?

Tim told me guaranteed to mach4!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Tim told me guaranteed to mach4!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Nice! Any idea how much the 54 mm cone weighs? The Madcow 54 mm FW FG VK is 258 g = 9.1 oz on my scale. Also, not that it is super critical, but is the Wildman injected molded cone a VK type, Ogive, or something else?

Nice! Any idea how much the 54 mm cone weighs? The Madcow 54 mm FW FG VK is 258 g = 9.1 oz on my scale. Also, not that it is super critical, but is the Wildman injected molded cone a VK type, Ogive, or something else?

I have neither a nosecone nor a scale in front of me, but I'm fairly certain the injection molded nosecones are either the same, or a little bit lighter.

-Kevin

I have neither a nosecone nor a scale in front of me, but I'm fairly certain the injection molded nosecones are either the same, or a little bit lighter.

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I am guessing that it is lighter. One last question, the Wildman site lists the cone as injection molded fiberglass. Is this actually the CTI injected polycarbohnate nose cone, or a different one? A lot of new stuff coming out.

Thanks Kevin. I am guessing that it is lighter. One last question, the Wildman site lists the cone as injection molded fiberglass. Is this actually the CTI injected polycarbohnate nose cone, or a different one? A lot of new stuff coming out.

They are the same. Fiber-glass filled polycarbonate.

Jeroen

As Jeroen said, 'tis the same thing.

They're amazing nosecones; once people see them, I think they're going to be very popular.

-Kevin

They're amazing nosecones; once people see them, I think they're going to be very popular.

I got one with the painkiller micro.

It took about half a second to fall madly in love with it.

I just weighed mine (54mm)

105.7g; 3.7oz

Note that this is with a nut and some Kevlar epoxied into it, so it's actually a bit lighter than that.

-Kevin

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I was sold when I first saw it on the Wildman site before the hubbub. The hubbub just makes it better.

Back