Build A 4" Martel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes or No?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I'm not Level 1 yet, but am perfectly confident in my ability to build a "Heavier than "Model Rocket" Rocket".
Should I go for it and do a 4" dual 29mm MMT Martel AS 37?
There is the slim Chance that it will come out under the Weight Limit, but it will most likely end up being something I need to use for a Cert Flight to get my L1 or not join a Club and just get my own Waiver to fly, which does'nt interest me at all.
What does interest me is simply building it, as I like building much more than Launching. LOC has a 4" NC that looks like it would be perfect for this Build, a short Ogive that looks just like the Pics' of the real thing.
I've compiled a Parts List, and can do the thing for under $60, making my own components for the most part, and spoiling myself on some things.
The results of this Poll will determine if I take this on as a Winter Project. I'll likely do it anyway.

Last edited:
Ditch the dual 29's for a cert rocket. Think ahead and use a 38mm mount. The dual 29's lock you into few loads and with the 38mm mount there's all the 38mm loads and depending on weight adapt down to 29mm's.

I, too, am building a 4" rocket right now but I'm building it with a 54mm mount. I know it's coming in at around 5 pounds empty but it needs to be stout. Not so much for the J350 that's going in first but the J800 later ;)

I would recommend putting it on the back burner for a while till you are really comfortable with getting reliable AP cluster ignition. Clustering AP motors is more difficult then with BP clusters. If only one motor lights on a heavier rocket, the delay will be too long, so a rocket with a lot of forward fins will most likely curve and go into cruise missile mode and eject the parachute near or on the ground. I saw this at a launch at Lucern and the rocket headed for the hills. I do not know if they found it (a neat looking flight to watch but not what the flier intended).

Last edited:
Yes go for a single motor mount 38mm at the very least. You can adapt down

Clustered AP ignition isn't really that tough. Get yourself some Quickdip from Quickburst to paint the inside of the upper grain, and optionally maybe a bit on the ignitor if it will fit through the throat.

38mm it will be. I thought of that when I woke up this morning, that it would'nt make sense to do a dual 29mm if I might use it for a Cert Flight.

Quick Question. How to do the Conduits in Open Rocket? Should I just leave them off the Sim Model?

Glad you landed on 38mm. Pick up a Loki 38-120 or a 38-240 if you want HP. The 120 case lets you fly the incredibly awesome G80 Loki White. This motor hits far above it's weight and will fly a 4" paper rocket all day long. If that isn't good enough, for $33 you get a package with two motors in it. Plus the mailman drops them off without Hazmat. That's hard to beat. The 240 case lets you fly the impressive H144. A single load is $25 if you want to fly HP. You won't find a better value and the performance has no equal.

38mm it will be. I thought of that when I woke up this morning, that it would'nt make sense to do a dual 29mm if I might use it for a Cert Flight.

Quick Question. How to do the Conduits in Open Rocket? Should I just leave them off the Sim Model?

Can't do a cluster for a cert flight. I never model conduits.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

You can design in the conduits (and a limited number of similar features) by building them in as fins in OR. I don't thing there's enough drag to worry about, though.

You could always built it 38 with two 29mm outboards... fly it on 2 engine clusters or single 38mm by blocking the motor mounts not in use. You could even add airstart capability and fly 3 motors!

You could always built it 38 with two 29mm outboards... fly it on 2 engine clusters or single 38mm by blocking the motor mounts not in use. You could even add airstart capability and fly 3 motors!

I had thought about making an interchangeable mount, and then realized when I was looking at my Book, Modern High-Power Rocketry, that something like you suggested could be done.
I'll likely build a simple Rocket for my L1, and then this Rocket can take as long as it needs to.
I'll consider doing what you have suggested.:)

I've decided to get a LOC EZI-65 for my L1 Cert, because it can be built light enough to also fly on G-80 Motors with a 54mm-29mm Adapter before I get Certified and without having to go to a Waivered Event. I had a G-Force back in 2000-2002, and I'm kinda' "Jonesin'" for a Rocket of this Size again. The G-Force was lost to a Tree on its fifth Flight, and it was right before I was leaving for Basic Training, so I was unable to recover it.
I'll start building the Martel sometime around Christmas of this Year, and try to get set up to do my L1 Cert sometime in the Spring of 15'.
The EZI-65 can be built pretty quickly, but the Martel will require quite a bit of Effort and Planning.

Now, to find out who has the best Price on the EZI-65, as all of the sudden I want that as soon as possible!

This seems like a good place/price: https://www.countylinehobbies.com/

Last edited:
Not for TRA, but it is allowed for NAR.

Don't worry, there will be no certifications for me.
This rocket will stay under the weight limit and fly on 29mm. That's kinda what I intended in the first place, but for a little while I entertained the idea of someday joining a club, so I considered it.
That was a long time ago.

That looks like my kind of ricket��

There's a good reason for that!
Thanks for your tips and excellent build threads!!!
She's only 8.3oz. so far, and I'm trying to stay under 20, maybe 25.
I think I can do it too!
My S-200 Angara build is on hold til I see if these techniques work well for me. It would be so much easier to model the booster struts if they were twice as large.

Back