I realized why I shouldn't use newspaper to mask a white rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I used some newspaper to mask the body of a white rocket while painting the top half - and realized that was a bad idea.

The white had dried for probably two days, but I got a few minor smudges from the newsprint:

sd79QnU.jpg

All part of my learning process...

Obviously, they're light, and not deep, so I imagine I can get rid of them (without trying to paint over them). What would you suggest? A pencil eraser? Perhaps some light wet sanding with superfine wet/dry paper?

Edit: They do show a bit more than perhaps you can see in this picture, and there are several of them.

Depending on how deep the smudge... Think of the silly putty principle. You should be able to lift the ink using tape or something similar to silly putty. I think silly putty would sick too much and make a mess but you could try a tacky making tape. Just be sure it doesn't lift the paint first.

Nu Finish, rub it a little more aggresively in those spots, let dry, wipe off. Remove the OOPS and polish at the same time. Also good for removing paint transfers.

We've all tried using newspaper and have had the ink transfer onto the surface.
In some instructions illustrations they show newspaper being used.

I've had good luck using the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.
Wring out the eraser so there is little water left in it.
Rub lightly, the eraser can take a little white paint off the surface.

Your results will vary with any method
depending on how dry the paint is and how deep the ink is into the white paint.

We've all tried using newspaper and have had the ink transfer onto the surface.
In some instructions illustrations they show newspaper being used.

Thanks! I'll pick one of these up tomorrow!

I had these and used shop towels (i.e. super thick paper towels) with just a tiny bit of water. The shop towels are a bit more abrasive, so they can kind of be used to scrub at it. However, I'd be leery of using too much water.

I've had some luck with windex for removing similar. I did EXACTLY what you did with newspaper. Also, with the glossy ads that come in the mail (same problem) and plastic shopping bags (same deal). I have since moved to this https://www.lowes.com/pd_111625-968-12718FF_0__?productId=3076701&Ntt=masking+paper&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmasking%2Bpaper&facetInfo= which has been flawless. It makes me feel a bit dumb paying for something to mask with, but for $5 I get years of use. I'm willing to pay $2/yr to avoid the frustration.

Good luck with your fix.

I've had some luck with windex for removing similar. I did EXACTLY what you did with newspaper. Also, with the glossy ads that come in the mail (same problem) and plastic shopping bags (same deal). I have since moved to this https://www.lowes.com/pd_111625-968...pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=masking+paper&facetInfo= which has been flawless. It makes me feel a bit dumb paying for something to mask with, but for $5 I get years of use. I'm willing to pay $2/yr to avoid the frustration.

Good luck with your fix.

Good to know... However, Home Depot has the same stuff for a dollar cheaper...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-18-in-x-180-ft-Brown-All-Purpose-Masking-Paper-12918/202040757

See if the paper-handling department of your local newspaper will sell you an unspent roll. A full roll can be up to 55" wide (ours is closer to 50" now). They'll likely sell it by weight and ask that you return the core (heavy cardboard with metal endcaps).

If the paint has cured, use metal polish, or automotive rubbing compound. Both are very fine and should take the smudges off without damage.

+1 on the Magic Eraser. It works great for any kind of color transfer problem. I tend to get a lot of paint transfer during model shipment. Careful, targeted rubbing with the eraser takes care of 98% of what I encounter

Also, with the glossy ads that come in the mail (same problem)

Interesting. I never have any color transfer from the glossy ads. I keep a stack of them specifically for masking large areas.

Perhaps the reason it seems to work for me is because, as hcmbanjo alludes, it all depends on how dry your paint was before masking. I make sure my paint is bone dry before I do any masking. If that means waiting a week for it to dry, then so be it!

Back