URRG September 27-28, Potter NY, 23,600' MSL Waiver!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Come on out to Potter, NY for Upstate Research Rocket Group's September 27 and 28 launch! Among the Finger Lakes resides an outstanding field to fly rockets in! Potter was the home of LDRS 28, LDRS 31, and is the future home of LDRS 34. If you haven't made it out to Potter yet, come check it out prior to LDRS!

Flyers have come to Potter to enjoy our 23,600msl FAA waiver, the miles of recovery area and the rocket friendly neighbors Potter offers. The field is large and flat and great for recovery.

I'm tentatively planning to make it out to the field for Saturday. The plan is to fly the following:

Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP
Research 76/4700 L1500 Red
Ozark ARTS2 and Missile Works RRC3
Tragic Little Aerospace 900MHz GPS Telemetry
Skyangle 60" Main @ 700'

Expecting 9,500' altitude, right around Mach velocities.

t4px61g.jpg

Hawk Mountain Bad Attitude
AMW 76/3500 L1060GG (in an EX case)
Featherweight Raven 1 and a Perfectflite HiAlt45
Tragic Little Aerospace 900 MHz GPS Telemetry
Skyangle 60" Main @ 800'

Expecting 7,000' altitude.

Picture by David Reese (daveyfire).

13931105642_7a8a5d398d.jpg

Scratch Built 4" Lil Nuke Pro Max Upscale (Time permitting)
Research 54/1750 K650 Red
ATHA FC-877 and Missile Works RRC2+
Tragic Little Aerospace 900 MHz GPS Telemetry
Rocketman R7 Main @ 800'

Expecting 5,000' altitude.

attachment.php

Last edited:
awesome! I'll be there all day saturday and sunday afternoon.

I'm really torn between doing quick and dirty on a pair of h250G, or riding my bike out and doing a bunch of small stuff that I can fit in my bags.

I'm really torn between doing quick and dirty on a pair of h250G, or riding my bike out and doing a bunch of small stuff that I can fit in my bags.

If you bring Q&D, you can do the small stuff as well!

I assume you'll only be there Sunday?

David,

Are you going to be able to make it on Saturday? If yes, I have a motor that I'd like to see flown. It's a new formula that I am going to standardize (do a bunch of tests and characterize for the masses) but this motor is a little unique. The geometry is kinda cool from the stand point that it will be fairly erosive. BurnSim is showing it as a 358 Ns I207. The motor is 29mm and 14" long (15" with the bulkhead).

It's a small thank you for your pictures from URRF. If you have a rocket for it and you'd like to fly it, it's all yours! No guarantees it will work (ALWAYS the case with EX motors), but I have a high level of comfort with this motor.

If you bring Q&D, you can do the small stuff as well!

I assume you'll only be there Sunday?

Q & D doesn't fit on the Harley :)

But I think I'll be driving out now. Gonna try and bring Emerald Dragon out to fly those loads.... Of course I had to go and kill my vulcanite and tracker...

FYI most of the corn has been harvested. the beans are still thigh high but at least you can see over them.

Q & D doesn't fit on the Harley :)

But I think I'll be driving out now. Gonna try and bring Emerald Dragon out to fly those loads.... Of course I had to go and kill my vulcanite and tracker...

Hi Dave,,,
I'm not sure if I'm going to Potter for the 9/27 launch,,,
I am trying to work out the logistics...
If I am there you're more then welcome to borrow my Big Red Bee and yagi set up.......

Teddy

Cool Teddy! Think this launch will have a decent showing. Two of us from CTRA are making the hike to burn some Ns.

Cool Teddy! Think this launch will have a decent showing. Two of us from CTRA are making the hike to burn some Ns.

About 4 days ago or so I saw the weather forecast was good, even though it's still far out...
And I am astounded we're coming into the fall already,, I can't believe the Halloween stuff
is in the stores already,, so I sent out an email to a lot of people--- Lets do this--- One more great launch---
I got quite a few responses,, a lot of -- I'd like to very much--- let me see.....

Cross your fingers,,, keep very positive thoughts,,, the weather will be fantastic,,, the winds will be very light,,, and the showing will be great.....

One more great launch for the year.....

Teddy

Animal Motor Works will be onsite that weekend with a full trailer

FYI most of the corn has been harvested. the beans are still thigh high but at least you can see over them.

If the corn is gone then we will move the Range head back to mid field by the storage container, then you will see just how OPEN that farm Really is.

If the corn is gone then we will move the Range head back to mid field by the storage container, then you will see just how OPEN that farm Really is.

Man would I love to see that....
As it is,,, that's the most wide open field I've ever seen for sure.....
That place is huge...

Teddy

That's funny Dave,,,
Pictures usually don't do it justice
but that last shot is something else...

I just checked the weather again for Saturday 9/27 in Potter...
At the same time,,
Accuweather said sunny and 29 mph wind speed,,
Wunderground said sunny and 4 mph wind speed....

That makes one enormousness difference in what you fly.....

Anybody got a crystal ball....

Teddy

That's funny Dave,,,
Pictures usually don't do it justice
but that last shot is something else...

I just checked the weather again for Saturday 9/27 in Potter...
At the same time,,
Accuweather said sunny and 29 mph wind speed,,
Wunderground said sunny and 4 mph wind speed....

That makes one enormousness difference in what you fly.....

Anybody got a crystal ball....

Teddy
weather.com says 74° sunny and 5mph. I'll go with that.

Done deal...............
I got the loads (they're on there way to me)..............
I got a room............................

Psyched............................

Teddy

stopped by the field today, there is still some corn up by the barns but most of it is clear
022.jpg024.jpg025.jpg027.jpg

So is there a specified time when the launch/waiver opens and ends, or does it run all day long? I will be there saturday with my I540 to mach 2 rocket, and my adjustable launch tower.

Those fields look amazing!

So is there a specified time when the launch/waiver opens and ends, or does it run all day long? I will be there saturday with my I540 to mach 2 rocket, and my adjustable launch tower.

Those fields look amazing!

Email said Larry was going to start setup around 9:30. I'd imagine we'd be launching by 10/10:30 and typically go until we get bored or run out of flyable rockets.

My projects are pretty much together! I'm flying everything stated above, but I am hoping to up the motor in the Lil Nuke Upscale to a 54-1750 Red.

Need to build the 3500 and 4700 motors and assemble the electronics bay for the Bad Attitude. After a year of sharing upper sections with the Broken Arrow, it's getting it's own head on its shoulders.

I just checked the weather in Potter for Saturday and Sunday....................

WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.......................

Teddy

Back