URRG September 27-28, Potter NY, 23,600' MSL Waiver!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the weather is going to be amazing! This should be a GREAT launch!

It was!
I was only to go today.
Had 2 flights; first was a stretched Rascal to 2452 ft.next was my Wildman 3" on a K to 8,990 ft.

Pics to follow once I get homes

JD

the weather is going to be amazing! This should be a GREAT launch!

Wow. That was a cool day of flying. I pulled in right after AMW....Man it's nice having a vendor on site, Thanks for coming out guys I know that's a haul.

Many many cars. Our monthly launches see many 10,15 people show up. Someone said they counted 75+ bodies today. Was very cool to have spectators and a variety of fliers.

Some great flights.... and some stunning CATOS. Sorry guys. Hopefully the photos help show what happened, I got both of them fairly well.

The most enjoyable bit was the people there. FINALLY got to met THE Dan Patell, JD, Bill, MB and the rest of the URRG motely crew, Alex and a some MDRA guys I've promptly forgotten the names of, Reilly was out with his son, Was setup next to Teddy and finally got to chat a bit more with him than I did at URRF...and likely a dozen people I forgot to mention...

took 2200 photos.....cut it down to 737. That a bit long, I'd probably edit it down to around 250 if I was posting it in any kind of presentable manner, but I like to go long on club launches so people can see/evaluate flights better.

I'm also going to start a contest I'm calling the "DanP N/s left on the pad guessing game" You'll understand when you see the photos...half of which I think are his rocket warming up. I should have set the camera on a tripod....walked over to the car, made a sandwich, eaten it, walked back to the flight, remembered I needed to take a piss, walk over to the port a john, use it, find some baby wipes, realize my hands are covered in black powder residue anyways, remember there's a flight going, walk back to the camera, then lift it up to catch the liftoff in time. :) All in good fun Dan :) The motors you made for this weekend kicked ass, thanks again that was a ton of fun and I think the lift off shots of the ones we stuck in Emerald Dragon were great. Very cool.

I'll post a link to the photos over on urrg.org's forums and toss a few up here.

Last edited:
OK, linked 737 photos out of the urrg.org forums. All are available in full res for free. here's a few -

The three stooges-
15352513436_1b566f68cb_b.jpg

15372327491_1af80bf966.jpg
15375180732_42f305afd6.jpg
15188782240_7c09071e1d.jpg

15188689639_370a0096e8_b.jpg
15375432105_baeb751bc1_c.jpg
15372229531_f807539b83_c.jpg

Teddy had this one come all the way down on the main like this.... amazing.
15372139471_11fc192b8c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man what a great launch,,,
It was too cool seeing You Dave,, Dan,, JD,, Bill and Mary Beth,,,,
And you're so right ,, the countless others...
I had a fantastic time even with a very disappointing CATO
that I KNOW is going to be the highlight of Dave M's shots... lol...lol...
Hey,, at least when I blow em up,,, I blow em up good.... lol.. lol
I got off one great flight,, with my Arcas to 6700 ft,,, man I don't fly that rocket enough,,, always has been a fantastic flier,, now aging and in need of a rebuild...

You couldn't have written a better weather report yourself....
Just insane,,,
I really had a super time and I was still supposed to be there but I blew up the case that my weekend flying revolved around...
No matter,,, I'd do this day all over again in a heartbeat....

Thank you so much URRG,, each and everyone...
You guy ( and ladies,, lol ) put on some launch.....

And Mary Beth,,,
You can take to the bank it won't be 8 months until you see me again,, the ride up wasn't even all that long....

Teddy

hahahahahahah
man is that too funny Dave,,,
I know you got some great pic,,,
that shutter of yours was crankin so fast I think you'd better lubricate it.... lol..lol

Teddy

LOL it surely needs a good cooling off.

The light was good and I had a great angle on the sun. I always miss a few but I like what I got.

I dunno about highlight.... I know that CATO sucked a hard fat one.... But my interest is seeing what happened, trying to figure out why/what. I'm still at a lose. I'm guessing it OP'd and blew the forward... no evidence of a clog...it was puking smoke right up to the blow.

I hear that for sure Dave,,
I'd surly agree with that one....

Teddy

Man, what a great launch!!!

I am going to be working on a report throughout the day today, in-between painting trim in the nursery and watching the ol' pigskin get tossed around on TV.

A HUGE thank you is sent the way of the URRG club, AMW for supporting, Ted Chernok, Dave McCann, and Mike Crupe. I'll explain more later, but those organizations/individuals made yesterday an amazing day for me.

Keep an eye out for some videos!

Come on Dan,,
Cough it up,,,
I wanna see the video of your Red burnin flight....
The burn time was insane...
And I still don't know the altitude reached....
That was a super cool flight...

Teddy

That was an outstanding day Dan. I don't know if I should thank or curse you..... I've certainly gotten the bug now :)

I posted the RRC3 data over in the urrg forum if you wanna grab it. Nice punch on both motors and quick ignitions.

I swear time burns faster than AP on launch day. I don't think I sat down once. :)

I swear time burns faster than AP on launch day. I don't think I sat down once. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh man is that the truth.....

Teddy

Come on Dan,,
Cough it up,,,
I wanna see the video of your Red burnin flight....
The burn time was insane...
And I still don't know the altitude reached....
That was a super cool flight...

Teddy

Teddy - Apologies for not sharing! The motor burned for 3.84s after dumping half of its impulse on the pad coming up to pressure. Per the ARTS2, the rocket achieved 10,304' at 945 ft/s. I was pleasantly surprised with that motor, it turned in a much more impressive flight than I was anticipating! The video even has a little surprise during boost that you will have to wait to see :)

DizWolf said:
That was an outstanding day Dan. I don't know if I should thank or curse you..... I've certainly gotten the bug now

Don't curse me, but I'll take a thank you any day. I'll send a thank you right back to you for your pictures and tracking help. I think we have a good arrangement in place...pictures and tracking for rocket motors!!!

Last edited:
Don't curse me, but I'll take a thank you any day. I'll send a thank you right back to you for your pictures and tracking help. I think we have a good arrangement in place...pictures and tracking for rocket motors!!!

Absolutely! Pretty sure I come out ahead here :)

Do you really think it lost half the impulse it was capable of ??
it chuffed a couple of times but I didn't think it was that bad....
3.84 is total or after it left the pad ??
That's what I like,,,
A smooth as silk,, long burn....
10 K,,, wow was that a cool flight...
What kind of cases do you use Dan ???

Teddy

WHAT-----
Man was that cool,,,
I didn't think it was on the pad all that long.....
How cool was that,,
to see in the vid how it came down right on the edge of the road in the bushes where we found it...
I'm tellin you Dan,,
I would have peed myself if In the vid I saw that cute yappy dog come running out after it..... lol

That is a ridiculously cool flight and video Dan,, and to put Dave's pic's in it...
On the money....

Teddy

You got some cool shots Jeff...
I always love the dirt being kicked up....
That's a lota impulse......

Teddy

What an awesome launch! Beautiful weather, and tons of people! Not to mention I managed to burn/tear the paint off my NC with a Mach 2 flight :D

That was some flight Coleman,,
I won't forget that one anytime soon,, that's for sure....
I don't think I've ever seen a rocket move that fast....
That was insane....
And it wasn't even Warp 9 propellant.......
Man was that a flight....

Teddy

Back