Anybody Have Jane's Land-Based Air Defense Book?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Amazon does'nt have any available right now, so I signed up to get an E-mail when it becomes available.
Anyone here have it already, and if so is it good?
560 Pages according to the Item Description. Jane's Books are usually pretty good.

Jane's LBAD Book.png

Last edited:
Interlibrary loan can probably get one for you pretty quickly. That would be a decent way to check it out before shelling out a lot of dough.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Interlibrary loan can probably get one for you pretty quickly. That would be a decent way to check it out before shelling out a lot of dough.

I have not used interlibrary Loan for awhile, and had almost forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder. I'll go down to my Library tomorrow!
Last time I used it was to get some Peter Capstick Books.

If it is good I'll need one for my Personal Library anyhow, but yeah, getting one to see if it's worth what they'll want for it is a good Idea.

Our library lets you place an Interlibrary loan online. You have to go to the library to pick it up and pay the nominal fee...

Asked the Librarian to order it for me today.:)
Also scored 2 Issues of Discover and 7 Issues of Science News Magazine for free in their Free Magazines Stack.

Good score on the Science News!

OK, the next thing you have to interlibrary loan is Paris Kanonen by Bull and Murphy. Copies are $400 and up on the used market. But the section on Project HARP (cannon launched rockets) is a must read!

Good score on the Science News!

OK, the next thing you have to interlibrary loan is Paris Kanonen by Bull and Murphy. Copies are $400 and up on the used market. But the section on Project HARP (cannon launched rockets) is a must read!

That sounds very cool indeed!!! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check that out.

Went to the Library today to see if they had gotten it yet, and was told that they were unable to. The Librarian said she even tried "College Libraries" whatever that means.
Might be the reason it is'nt available on Amazon yet is because it has not even hit the Market yet. I'll go do some further digging around to find out.

The backordered price I saw was $1125!

Jane's books are pricey and contain nothing that you can't find on your own, however time is money and those who need to know will buy it becausethey don't have the time to do the research themselves.

There is a very small market for Jane's so no excess is printed, and no electronic versions exist AFAIK since they could be hacked, duplicated anddistributed free on the internet by someone who could care less about copyright laws....

Another reason for the limited printing is that these books go out of date rapidly as new inventor becomes available. For those folks that need to know, they will pay for the latest and greatest information.

Bob

PS I actually like to do my own research as the results aren't filtered by someone else.

The backordered price I saw was $1125!

Jane's books are pricey and contain nothing that you can't find on your own, however time is money and those who need to know will buy it becausethey don't have the time to do the research themselves.

There is a very small market for Jane's so no excess is printed, and no electronic versions exist AFAIK since they could be hacked, duplicated anddistributed free on the internet by someone who could care less about copyright laws....

Another reason for the limited printing is that these books go out of date rapidly as new inventor becomes available. For those folks that need to know, they will pay for the latest and greatest information.

Bob

PS I actually like to do my own research as the results aren't filtered by someone else.

Bummer.

Here's an expensive Surface to Air Missile Book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0710605897/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Maybe if I win the Lottery I'll pick up a Copy.

This probably falls into the category of "rare" books now, as opposed to a good source of scale data that most of us might be looking for.

I have held a copy of this book, the company tech library where I used to work had one. Out of the whole book there are only about ten pages of profile drawings in which folks like us would be interested. (No exaggeration, no sarcasm.) Further, these "scale" profile drawings have little surface detail and are quite small, and would require considerable enlargement---and Xerox-type machines tend to distort things during the enlargement process. Finally, Zaloga's books, as good as they are/were, are OLD now and are based on some pretty OLD sources. You can pretty easily do much better on locating scale data on these missiles, especially since the cold war ended and Russia has posted a lot of pictures and data.

I would not pay $50 for a copy of this book.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably falls into the category of "rare" books now, as opposed to a good source of scale data that most of us might be looking for.

I have held a copy of this book, the company tech library where I used to work had one. Out of the whole book there are only about ten pages of profile drawings in which folks like us would be interested. (No exaggeration, no sarcasm.) Further, these "scale" profile drawings have little surface detail and are quite small, and would require considerable enlargement---and Xerox-type machines tend to distort things during the enlargement process. Finally, Zaloga's books, as good as they are/were, are OLD now and are based on some pretty OLD sources. You can pretty easily do much better on locating scale data on these missiles, especially since the cold war ended and Russia has posted a lot of pictures and data.

I would not pay $50 for a copy of this book.

I don't want these Books for Scale Data, I just want them to read and to add to my Library of Books about War, Weapons, Military History and stuff like that.
The Scale Data when it is there is just the Icing on the Cake.

I'm going to the Library this afternoon to try to order the 2002-2003 Edition, but found it on Amazon "Used" for as little as $66, which for me is low enough to justify a Purchase if I can't get one through the Interlibrary Loan Program. Also, if the Library gets me one to review, and I like it, I'll be able to afford one for my Personal Library.:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0710624379/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like one way or another, atleast one of these is going to find it's way into one of my Book Cases. I've now seen earlier Editions in "Good" Condition for as little as $19.:)

Amazon does'nt have any available right now, so I signed up to get an E-mail when it becomes available.
Anyone here have it already, and if so is it good?
560 Pages according to the Item Description. Jane's Books are usually pretty good.

View attachment 184074

Wow, that's a lot rarer in libraries than I thought it would be, but perhaps copies kept in the reference sections of libraries, books that can't be checked out, are not listed by Worldcat. Reference sections are where I've seen most Jane's books. When the newer editions come in to the reference sections, they allow the older ones to be checked out, if they keep them at all. I suspect that might be why the more recent editions are so rare in Worldcat. Most of them can't be checked out or inter-library loaned and are not shown.

However, if one was doing research and was simply looking for the book and willing to travel to whatever library had it, it would still be nice to know what libraries had the book, even if it was only in their reference section. Maybe they simply are that rare... could be since the 2011-2012 edition costs $1,632.96 according to Amazon.

Copies worlwide found via https://www.worldcat.org/

Jane's land-based air defence 2010-2011

US Air Force, Malmstrom AFB, Library Fl4626
Malmstrom Afb, MT 59402 United States

Travis AFB Library
Travis Afb, CA 94535 United States

Defensiebibliotheken
Dutch Defence Libraries
Breda, 4811 MA Netherlands

Jane's land based air defence 2011-2012

US Army, Field Artillery School
Ft Sill, OK 73503 United States

Kadena Base Library
Apo Ap, WA 96368 United States

The British Library, British National Bibliography (Wow, that's a lot rarer than I thougth it would be. Copies worlwide found via https://www.worldcat.org/

Jane's land-based air defence 2010-2011

US Air Force, Malmstrom AFB, Library Fl4626
Malmstrom Afb, MT 59402 United States

Travis AFB Library
Travis Afb, CA 94535 United States

Defensiebibliotheken
Dutch Defence Libraries
Breda, 4811 MA Netherlands

Jane's land based air defence 2011-2012

US Army, Field Artillery School
Ft Sill, OK 73503 United States

Kadena Base Library
Apo Ap, WA 96368 United States

The British Library, British National Bibliography (BNB)
Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS23 7BQ United Kingdom

COBISS.SI
National library information system of Slovenia
Maribor, 2000 Slovenia

Jane's land based air defence (all years)

In 164 libraries worldwide.

Well Bollocks!!! Librarian could'nt get me ANY of them!:mad:
Looks like I'll just have to buy one of the Older ones on Amazon.:(
I'll return to this Thread to let ya'll know how good it is, and which Edition I can get/afford.

Just ordered the 93-94, 6th Edition for 19.95 from Amazon. A former Library Copy in "Good" Condition.

:D

Just got it! Based on my first impressions alone, I will be ordering some of the newer ones as I can afford them or find them.
Even has a cool built in Bookmark!

NEWBOOKYAY!!!! 002.jpg

Back