B 58 Hustler Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This long pause before post flight report is giving me a very bad feeling.:facepalm: I am afraid to look.

is that your V-2?
beautiful rocklets there!!
can't wait to hear about the flight!!

That V2 is kid of like the stray dog in our club. One guy built it, had to move and gave it to me, I flew it and then changed the paint scheme to jagged, flew it again and cracked a fin. Another member then took it and modified the fins and added anti zippering, I repainted it again and we flew it some more. On the last IMAX flight the anti zipper foam ball came loose and it got a slight zipper, so it is back to the other member for repair and then back to me for more touch up paint,

Thirsty B, I will answer your question with another question. As you are now an experienced and hardened model rocket flying dude, what do you say to a guy bringing up a rocket with externally placed pods with motors in them?

I'd say, "Put it on the HPR rack, and get into the bunker. Heads up, everyone! And cameras ready!"

Did the authorities eye the Hustler askance?

This long pause before post flight report is giving me a very bad feeling.:facepalm: I am afraid to look.

Time is the great healer of wounds and this one will take some time. I hear repairing rockets can be just as fun as building them in the first place.:)

5-4-3-2-1-Launch. . . oh no this is not going well. . . then only four motors lit. One that failed was an out board so it slowly went off the rod and curved over do to unequal trust, went into a flat spin and hit the ground not too far behind the pad. Pop, pop, pop. . , pop on the ground in a cloud of delay smoke. The crash was similar but not as high speed as Henry John Junior's crash. The good news is that everyone survived and it is repairable with some work. It was stable even on four motors so it will fly. The bottom pod cone actually knocked off the cockpit cone so the poor boy dual deploy worked fine.

Last edited:
I'd say, "Put it on the HPR rack, and get into the bunker. Heads up, everyone! And cameras ready!"

Did the authorities eye the Hustler askance?

It was pre-approved weeks before the launch. It was a perfect day to launch so the really big stuff came out and there were some spectacular crashes and successes, some of the coolest stuff I have seen.

You know if you need a shoulder to cry on I am about 10 minutes away.

I just need to get back up on the horse again. It was just an ignition issue! Maybe I have been cured of silly airplane rocket flying for awhile. So instead of a D Va I am building a giant squid monster rocket with the Flis 24mm tri motor mount.

I'm really sorry to hear about the crash. That was a great looking bird, and I hope you can repair it.

I'm really sorry to hear about the crash. That was a great looking bird, and I hope you can repair it.

Thanks. It was my first crash on a an airplane rocket on the first flight, even the VAL flew better. Time to dig deep down and muster the will to repair it. I have not as yet brought the little pile of broken landing gear bits and silver jet pods in from the truck. . . the horror.

Daddyisabar, sorry to hear that you had a less-than-fully-successful result.

Somehow, I have a feeling that we will be seeing another launch attempt. And maybe another. Until it's done right.

You already get mega-points for even trying such a complex design. Hope you are keeping notes and observations to give the rest of us tips and recommendations when you finish.

Daddy....your rockets are some of the best that are posted on here! you have done amazing work on all of these! Heck, you even have a cat that has now become a rock star on these boards...the Hauptmann Kitty!!

hopefully you can repair the B-58 and we'll get those flight pictures that we all enjoy seeing!!

Thanks. It was my first crash on a an airplane rocket on the first flight, even the VAL flew better. Time to dig deep down and muster the will to repair it. I have not as yet brought the little pile of broken landing gear bits and silver jet pods in from the truck. . . the horror.

Daddy....your rockets are some of the best that are posted on here! you have done amazing work on all of these! Heck, you even have a cat that has now become a rock star on these boards...the Hauptmann Kitty!!

hopefully you can repair the B-58 and we'll get those flight pictures that we all enjoy seeing!!

Thanks. We will see if lots of CA and chanting to the rocket gods will bring this one back across the river Styx,

Daddy,
The chrome paint and decals really made this model. I was amazed how great it looked. You knew this would be a difficult model to fly. I would have used only Q2G2 igniters for such an important model. I have re-built crashed models before. It can be done. Good Luck!

Daddy,
The chrome paint and decals really made this model. I was amazed how great it looked. You knew this would be a difficult model to fly. I would have used only Q2G2 igniters for such an important model. I have re-built crashed models before. It can be done. Good Luck!

I started the repairs this morning before work and just after an hour they are mostly done. Just a few small spots of touch up brush paint and the other battle scars will give a nice patina. Yeah, just some cosmetic damage that buffed right out.

awesome!

I started the repairs this morning before work and just after an hour they are mostly done. Just a few small spots of touch up brush paint and the other battle scars will give a nice patina. Yeah, just some cosmetic damage that buffed right out.

After years in the Gulag after the war Hauptmann Kitty has returned to continue his battle against international Bolshevism. He sleeps soundly knowing knowing the repaired B-58 is always on guard against the Red Menace. This kitty is not soft on Communism and is working hard to solve the Luftwaffe's problems with the F 104. He has read Animal Farm and has spent the night ridding the neighborhood of Red sympathizers, mostly mice, rabbits, bats and various birds. All the feathers and carcass parts on the back porch show his hunting spirit is alive and well.

14 - 2.jpg14 - 3.jpgIMG_20140927_122511610_HDR.jpgIMG_20140927_122546357_HDR.jpg

the Hauptmann returns!!! you can tell by these pictures that he has no fear of taking the 58 up for its second test flight...heck, he is sleeping like a baby in these pictures...totally unafraid! A battle tested combat veteran and ace test pilot....he has no fear, of course.... In the B-58 he'll deafen the communist sympathizers with the B-58's legendary sonic boom...and then on his off hours, will enjoy hunting them down and finishing them off!!

After years in the Gulag after the war Hauptmann Kitty has returned to continue his battle against international Bolshevism. He sleeps soundly knowing knowing the repaired B-58 is always on guard against the Red Menace. This kitty is not soft on Communism and is working hard to solve the Luftwaffe's problems with the F 104. He has read Animal Farm and has spent the night ridding the neighborhood of Red sympathizers, mostly mice, rabbits, bats and various birds. All the feathers and carcass parts on the back porch show his hunting spirit is alive and well.

View attachment 185472View attachment 185473View attachment 185474View attachment 185475

Today at an undisclosed site deep in the heart of Communist Asia the B 58 had a successful flight and recovery. Hopefully some video can be smuggled out. All lit, straight up, poor boy dual deploy worked well, cockpit nose cone tangled with fuselage chute but all eight chutes deployed, bringing her down with minimal damage.

B 58 1.jpgB 58 3.jpgB 58 5.jpgB 58 2.jpg

Very nice, good job. Would have loved to been there, but Commies don't like me much.

Good work, Daddy! I am amazed that you got this model to fly straight. I would love to see the video if it becomes available. Even some still photos would be good. Your weather is clearer than what we are having on the western side of the Rockies.

Six parachutes?

No. . . EIGHT Parachutes! One in each motor pod =4. One one each nose cone =2. And one in each fuselage tube=2. That equals eight. Golly, I am good at Math! Every bit of precious recovery space is crammed. Have to get out all the laundry possible to bring this oddroc back. A bit of a tangled mess with poor boy dual deploy. The parachute duration record holder at the club can only watch in horror. Pop,pop,pop,pop.pop. . . pop! There goes the poor boy dual deploy cone a flying away! Look, the cockpit nose cone is tangled to the fuselage chute! That is OK for oddroc recovery standards. It ain't pretty but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Good work, Daddy! I am amazed that you got this model to fly straight. I would love to see the video if it becomes available. Even some still photos would be good. Your weather is clearer than what we are having on the western side of the Rockies.

The Rocket Gods make all the snow fall on the West Slope-ers, leaving us East Slope-ers with beautiful flying weather. Then in the spring we just have to divert all the water to the East.

Some how Mind Sim got the nose weight distribution and the drag distribution right the first time around that imaginary center line of thrust. Landing gear down, a bit crazy. One of the newer guys recovered the lower pod nose cone. His son looked at it and said it is completely stuffed with clay and copper BBs!

As I remember it didn't even spin going up and the delay turned out to be just about right. Hopefully some video will turn up, if not I will just have to fly it again with more people around.

The flight only lasted a few seconds, but like the song says "I caught a fleeting glimpse, out of the corner of my eye. The LCO's lips move but I can not hear what he says. You are only coming through in waves. I...I...I... have become comfortably numb."

Last edited:
Whaaahooo to another one of Daddy's Hope/mind sim projects!! WTG buddy. I need to make it to more flipping CRASH launches! :)

Back