Maine Missile Math & Science Club 13 SEPTEMBER 2014 JOINT LAUNCH with CMASS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you hold a CMASS Season Pass, your launch fee is covered. If not, standard MMMSC fees will apply.
Downtown Somersworth is still torn up; it's not too bad driving to the field but a little confusing getting back to the highway after the launch. Some of us will be going into South Berwick for dinner afterwards at the Thistle Pig (McAfee warning came up when I opened this site but that's probably because it's fairly new); let us know if you'd like to join the regular dinner crowd.

For an alternate route that avoids the Somersworth construction, here is something Guy wrote for a launch earlier this year:

Here are Guy's alternate directions:
If you normally head up the Spaulding Turnpike (may involve tolls)

Continue on up the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt16) to exit 16, the Rt11/Rt202 exit. Keep bearing right towards Sanford ME and Rt202 east.
Follow Rt202 east to the NH/ME border. There will be a Cumberland Farms on your right at the four way stop, just before the border.
Continue on through the four way stop on Rt202 East until you see a Mobil Station on your right. You will have traveled about 3.5 miles
from the Spaulding Turnpike. There is a traffic light at the corner that the Mobil Station is on. Turn right at the traffic light on to
Hubbard Rd. The Tuckahoe Turf Farm will be on your left (2.9 miles).

If you want to travel on Rt125 from Mass:

Head north on Rt 125 through Epping, Lee, Barrington and Gonic until you reach Rt16, the Spaulding Turnpike. Stay to the far right,
going under Rt16 and then on to Rt16 north.

Continue on up the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt16) to exit 16, the Rt11/Rt202 exit. Keep bearing right towards Sanford ME and Rt202 east.
Follow Rt202 east to the NH/ME border. There will be a Cumberland Farms on your right at the four way stop, just before the border.
Continue on through the four way stop on Rt202 East until you see a Mobil Station on your right. You will have traveled about 3.5 miles
from the Spaulding Turnpike. There is a traffic light at the corner that the Mobil Station is on. Turn right at the traffic light on to
Hubbard Rd. The Tuckahoe Turf Farm will be on your left (2.9 miles).

Never mind the directions. I'm printing out the menu.

Do I need to use those alternate directions if I'm coming up I-95?

Never mind the directions. I'm printing out the menu.

Do I need to use those alternate directions if I'm coming up I-95?

Depends on what route you take from I-95 to the field. If you travel Rt 236 from Kittery to the field, then no. If you take Rt 16 (Spaulding Turnpike) from Portsmith, then I would use the alternate directions. Don't be supprised if an item or two on the menu changes by Saturday. They update the menu frequently to accomodate what is available and they can get locally. Part of the place's charm. I tried the Rutabaga Bisque with Apple Cider and Almonds as it was a new item on the menu from the last time we were there and was very pleased. A lot like a butternut squash soup with a bite.

I plan on going. Not sure what I will fly, but will definitely be doing shear pin tests on the Tick, my latest big rocket. Hopefully the rain holds off till late in the day.

I plan on going but am keeping an eye on the forecast. If it looks like the rain will hold off until after, say 2 pm, I will take a chance. I still need to test my Archtype cable cutter and I have a new cluster design I want to fly.

I plan on going but am keeping an eye on the forecast. If it looks like the rain will hold off until after, say 2 pm, I will take a chance. I still need to test my Archtype cable cutter and I have a new cluster design I want to fly.

The Weather Channel site and NECN are now both saying 10% chance of rain. If this latest educated guess holds, it should be an okay day.

I'm planning to fly my last Skyripper 54mm J hybrid. It will probably be entertaining one way or another.

I'm planning to fly my last Skyripper 54mm J hybrid. It will probably be entertaining one way or another.

Just to state the obvious, this means the ground support equipment will be on the field for hybrid motors. If you've got one, bring it along; Bill is happy to share his nitrous - within limits, of course.

Gonna try and kiss the waiver on my 38mm min diameter.

Also on site will be my launch tower. It's adjustable from very small to being able to safely accommodate a 3" rocket. If you have high performance goodness that doesn't want rail buttons, bring it.

Gonna try and kiss the waiver on my 38mm min diameter.

Also on site will be my launch tower. It's adjustable from very small to being able to safely accommodate a 3" rocket. If you have high performance goodness that doesn't want rail buttons, bring it.

Recommend you try very early in the day - forecast is for lowering of the cloud cover throughout the day until it gets really bad if it starts raining. Early to mid afternoon cloud levels may limit flights to under 5,000 ft or less.

Recommend you try very early in the day - forecast is for lowering of the cloud cover throughout the day until it gets really bad if it starts raining. Early to mid afternoon cloud levels may limit flights to under 5,000 ft or less.

Thanks for the tip. I will get my rocket RTF today (minus the igniter of course) then get the tower set up when I get there, I'm going with Jason so I will be there early.

Thanks for the tip. I will get my rocket RTF today (minus the igniter of course) then get the tower set up when I get there, I'm going with Jason so I will be there early.

Tom, Please bring along a computer sim to show your flight profile. If you're going to "kiss the waiver", Scott's going to want to be sure we don't kiss the waiver goodbye.
Thanks,
Kenn

Tom, Please bring along a computer sim to show your flight profile. If you're going to "kiss the waiver", Scott's going to want to be sure we don't kiss the waiver goodbye.
Thanks,
Kenn

Sure. I will bring it on paper. This file has been close to exact on the actual rocket. It has to be for the altitudes I plan to achieve with this thing.

I just wanted to say a few words, and practice a launch report. Off the top, Thanks to everyone's hard work, and time put into this event. Having the CMASS Circle in Berwick is always a treat. Bills' hybrid launches were amazing, and there were lots of new faces in attendance. Thanks Kenn and Guy for manning the table. At one time I saw Guy balancing a burger on his knee while he corrected a level 2 test. The burger and hot dog condiments are always top notch, thanks to Scott and family. My son and I launched 10 rockets though out the day. Our first one, an Estes Freefall w/ parachuter on a B6-4, came down too fast and landed in the crowd. Minor fin can damage, but repairable. My fault for pre-packing the chute and leaving the rocket in the car all night, as both chutes did not want to open fully. Our next flight was the ShroomCow Momba, flying on a 24mm CTI F51-6. Up it went fast over the sprinklers and landed down wind, (with the recovery team only getting slightly wet). Next up our home made Bee Sting w/ toilet paper roll tube fins, flew nicely on a D12-5, landing close to the pads. Our Deuces Wild flew great on twin B6-4's. I must say its one of my favorite kits, Thanks Jim! The High Flyer XL flew next on a D12-3, landing close by. Our Maxi Alpha III flew great, followed by the Alpha III upscale, both with D12-3's. (Worth the fin repairs every time!) A Loc IV was next with a AT G71-7 to about 800 feet. Minor fin damage reported by recovery team. Our gold and black triple cluster Tres clone went up on B6-4's, another great flight. Flis Kits' canted clusters are the coolest. (Say that 5x's, lol) Last flight for us was our light weight and yellow Innova rocket, on another D12-3. Thanks again to everyone, and to Jason for the 54mm cert special 2 grain casing. The written was passed, but I want to wait for less wind before I fly my first J. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Here's video of one of my hybrids. In the 1/10 speed part at the end you can see the pulsing that gives hybrids their distinctive sound.

[video=youtube;A6kog2d02H0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kog2d02H0[/video]

Here's video of one of my hybrids. In the 1/10 speed part at the end you can see the pulsing that gives hybrids their distinctive sound.

[video=youtube;A6kog2d02H0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kog2d02H0[/video]

Those hybrids were cool. And LOUD!

[video=youtube;PokbFLmgcT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokbFLmgcT0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm going to watch billspad more closely, and try to figure out why this rocket has no spin, on launch or recovery. Yes he is cool, and loud, but these are amazing skills,...

I'm going to watch billspad more closely, and try to figure out why this rocket has no spin, on launch or recovery. Yes he is cool, and loud, but these are amazing skills,...

Relatively small fins and it weighs 17 lbs. without the motor. And I'm sure the streamlined taping job I did on the cameras helped.

Back