Time for a new(er) vehicle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Looking at a 2012 GMC 1500. 36000 miles,V6 4.3 motor, reg cab,4wd,work truck. No bells and no whistles. Trading in the 2007 jeep grand cherokee. Jeep has 118,000 miles and needs tires,struts,brakes and some other small issues.
I want/need a PU truck again. Also really need a snowplow. Plowing the 600-700 foot drive with open cab tractor is getting old and cold,as I am too.
Anywhoo- The dealer has seen the jeep and I've seen the pick-up,tonight we go to the bargining table.
YA know,just saying...:rofl:

not a plow expert but is the GMC strong enough for a plow?

what does the jeep have for a motor as a unlicensed home driveway plow jeep :) NVM 2007 jeep is worth more than being parked , bad idea on my part

Last edited:
The V6 4.3L engine is a great engine! I have a 97 Chevy S10 4WD with that engine and it runs great.

not a plow expert but is the GMC strong enough for a plow?

what does the jeep have for a motor as a unlicensed home driveway plow jeep :) NVM 2007 jeep is worth more than being parked , bad idea on my part
Not so bad an idea really. The thought crossed me mind. But the coin they will give me on trade in is worth it. It books high retail around 7000. Every little bit will help. Oh..I know the game. What they give they get on the other end. However,it looks good on paper and to the banks. lets face it..there is really no good deal when it comes to vehicles. A vehicle is the worst investment ever.

At least you have a vehicle in mind.
I am struggling between economy and utility. I know I will have to make a compromise somewhere but just don't want to.
Good luck with your negotiations.

Done deal. After what they gave me for the Jeep and what they wanted for the PU, it worked for me.
They still have it because they are "going thru it"
If it needs something fixed or something is worn or whatever,they are going to take care of it.They actually gave me a "Promise Note" saying the truck will be top notch when I drive it off the lot.
One thing they are doing before I get it, is putting on a new set of tires.
I bought a service contract with it. Some think they are a waste of money.
I however know first hand they can save you a bundle. At $90 hr mech fees and the price of parts,it doesnt take much to get your moneys worth.
Pretty much as long as I own it, and they do the work, they fix it for free. Of course it doesnt include expendables,like wipers,brakes,ect.
All the other stuff is bumper to bumper.
Bottom line,at my age and living in cold N.H, I dont mind spending the coin to drive a nice vehicle. My days of crawling under and over junks to keep them going are over.

Last edited:
Hey Scotty- I hear ya! My wife is concerned about me and has so much told me I'm a cheep bastard because I like to do all my own work. I gotta admit that helping my son replace the entire front end of his '65 Stang left me more than a little sore. Maybe it's time to admit I am getting older and I AM a cheep s.o.b.! Besides- the new cars ain't as much fun to work on as the older ones were-too many computers and laws now!

Hey Scotty- I hear ya! My wife is concerned about me and has so much told me I'm a cheep bastard because I like to do all my own work. I gotta admit that helping my son replace the entire front end of his '65 Stang left me more than a little sore. Maybe it's time to admit I am getting older and I AM a cheep s.o.b.! Besides- the new cars ain't as much fun to work on as the older ones were-too many computers and laws now!

One way of putting it, I cant afford driving old warn out vehicles. Sandy and I absolutley need dependable transportation.

Picked it up today after work.
They did a brake job and tires.
I did ask them if putting a plow on it would void any of my service contract and factory waranty and they said not a problem.
The sales man said to look into a "Boss" plow rather than a "Fisher". He said they are not as heavy as a Fisher but still a good rugged plow.And they mount on without having to mess with the front spoiler.
First thing I'm doing is putting on a good pair of mud flaps and getting seat covers.

GMC 001.jpg

GMC 002.jpg

GMC 004.jpg

GMC 005.jpg

Nice truck Scotty!

I had to laugh a bit. Back in March, I upgraded to a newer truck, a 2004 GMC Canyon with 128k on the meter. I am partial to Ford and drove nothing but until my '94 F150 got totaled. I settled for a Dodge that was the right fit at the right price at the time but it got expensive. Now I am enjoying my little GMC. I am not a convert, but I could see my self driving this truck for many years to come.

Jarhead, the Canyon/Colorado from GM may be worth looking into. It is a small to midsize truck but I have the 3.5L 5cyl crewcab 4x4 with Z71 package and average about 20 MPG in Atlanta traffic (I do try to manage my momentum) and the I5 has pretty good torque. If this could be a possibility for you, check out 355nation for good info on the platform. First generation came with a 4cyl or 5cyl. Around '06 they offered a V6 and a diesel should be coming for '15.

So, today I realized they didnt fill the tank.
I was sure they said it would have a full tank of gas when I picked it up.
I gave them a call and said I believe I left a CD in my player in the Jeep.
While I had the sales man on the phone I asked if they filled it with gas,cuz if they did, my gage wasnt working becuase it showed 1/4 tank.
Well, he said,when you come in for the CD we will fill your truck with gas.
On the way there I noticed it had an oil change service sticker on the corner of the windsheild. When I go there,I asked him if they had changed the oil.
Yes they did.SWEET!. New tires,brakes,oil change and I will check the air filter(I didnt ask).And a super detail job.
Now,to add to this great service,I asked if they sold mud guards. He says, oh we didnt put a set on. I says, nope. So, he goes out back and brings me a nice brandy new set.
This is the first time I bought a rig from them. They sure are treating me good.

Last edited:
So, today I realized they didnt fill the tank.
I was sure they said it would have a full tank of gas when I picked it up.
I gave them a call and said I believe I left a CD in my player in the Jeep.
While I had the sales man on the phone I asked if they filled it with gas,cuz if they did, my gage wasnt working becuase it showed 1/4 tank.
Well, he said,when you come in for the CD we will fill your truck with gas.
On the way there I noticed it had an oil change service sticker on the corner of the windsheild. When I go there,I asked him if they had changed the oil.
Yes they did.SWEET!. New tires,brakes,oil change and I will check the air filter(I didnt ask).And a super detail job.
Now,to add to this great service,I asked if they sold mud guards. He says, oh we didnt put a set on. I says, nope. So, he goes out back and brings me a nice brandy new set.
This is the first time I bought a rig from them. They sure are treating me good.

That's awesome!

Back