U2's Songs of Innocence... Apple's Giveaway

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know sounds like a spam message. It's not... Note: I've not included any links in this post, so it's up to you to see if you believe me or not.

When I opened the iTunes store tonight I saw that Apple is offering the new U2 album (Songs of Innocence) for free until sometime in October as a gift to its iTunes customers.

Just open your iTunes store, and look. The NY Times even has an article about it... Google it.

That is All
Jim

Just in the event you think I've been hacked... I speak 中文 (Mandarin Chinese), I'm studying to become an English teacher in China/TW at Portland State University, I love the Estes Cineroc (my icon), I create tutorials (such as papering fins, making balsa look like plastic, cutting clear payload sections out of florescent light tube guards, and creating accurate nose cone shapes in Open Rocket), and I've got over 200 rockets. (Does that sound like me? Anyone? Anyone?)

Last edited:
Got it this morning shortly after Tim Cook and Bono announced the giveaway at the end of the Apple iPhone6/Apple Pay/Apple Watch event. I'm not all that familiar with U2, but I've listened to this album a couple of times. I think I'll like it.

I use to really like U2, but Zooropa was the last album that I really liked. Their newer albums don't do anything for me.

I use to really like U2, but Zooropa was the last album that I really liked. Their newer albums don't do anything for me.

I'll agree that Zooropa was pretty awful. However, this one is OK. I've only listened to part of it, but I liked what I heard. Wasn't able to finish the album as my monitor decided to C*AP out on me, so I'm now trying to get another computer (the one I'm using now) up and running (I'm now downloading ALL of my purchases from iTunes, and this is gonna take a while).

I think it's cool Apple and U2 did this (and don't worry, I knew it wasn't spam... and probably a fair number of people on here watched the Keynote and knew that too.) I think the album is ok. Not great, but not bad either. There are a few songs that are pretty good, but most are kind of "meh". I for one hope Apple will do this a little more often!:)

iTunes Store says the free album is in my Purchased page but it's nowhere to be found in the storefront or in my Library.

It is there now. I just downloaded it

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

I told my wife about the free download and her first comment was "I wonder if it's no good". Downloading either way

With online downloading having taken huge bites out of sales of records and CDs, this is the new business model for mega-hit bands: Record and release a new album every 3-4 years to keep your existing fanbase engaged, then support it with massive tours lasting several months to a year or more.

Making money off the new music itself is not really a big priority as long as it maintains your appeal as a touring act where you can sell concert tickets, merchandise and so forth.

U2 just got done with one of the biggest $$$$ grossing tours of all time in late 2012 so they should be able to keep the gravy train rolling for a few more cycles.

iTunes Store says the free album is in my Purchased page but it's nowhere to be found in the storefront or in my Library.

Go to the iTunes store, then check your purchases, and you can download it from there.

Last night I was working on my basement and had my iphone plugged in and playing songs on shuffle. A song started playing that I'd never heard before - and I know every song that's loaded on my phone so I was baffled. When I looked to see what it was I realized it was a new U2 song from this free album.

Giving away music is no problem. Forcing me to download it was a shock!! And I couldn't swipe and delete the songs either, I was scared I was stuck with it.

Luckily I Googled a way to remove the entire album today and was happy. But that's the kind of thing that companies do that really pisses me off.

Sadly, I found this on my iPod today. I promptly ran the tool to remove it.

Bono may be desperate for attention, but their music has been crap for over 10 years. Their earlier stuff? Sure. Their stuff since about 2000? Gag.

Bono can go attention whoring on someone else's devices.

-Kevin

Sadly, I found this on my iPod today. I promptly ran the tool to remove it.

Bono may be desperate for attention, but their music has been crap for over 10 years. Their earlier stuff? Sure. Their stuff since about 2000? Gag.

Bono can go attention whoring on someone else's devices.

-Kevin

Amen, brother Troj. U2's music has been in the crapper for longer than that my opinion. Achtung Baby was only mildly likeable in my opinion (and that was 1991!!! :facepalm:). Everything since then has been @#$%^&*&^%%$#!!! :puke: :puke: :puke:

Adrian

I heard the album was being automatically uploaded to everybody's cloud and that it can never be deleted . . . from the Cloud that is.

I heard the album was being automatically uploaded to everybody's cloud and that it can never be deleted . . . from the Cloud that is.

Apple has a function in the iTunes store that lets you remove it.

I've already done so.

-Kevin

...I guess they figured you might as well get SPAM with your Apple Banana Phone(the new ones bend, permanently)...Just saying...

...I guess they figured you might as well get SPAM with your Apple Banana Phone(the new ones bend, permanently)...Just saying...

About that bendy thing. What do these sheeple think? They make the phone bigger, then they try to stuff it in the same small space????????? If you stuff 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb sack, something has to give...:facepalm:

Adrian

Back