TMP program question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Alright... I am a jr tripoli member, passed my TMP test. Am I allowed to fly EX motors made by a certified tripoli member and flown with their signature on the flight card?

thanks!

You really don't believe me huh? Research is limited to Level 2 and above fliers ONLY, TMP means nothing here if its YOUR rocket. You can hand your rocket to a mentor to prep and put your name on the card with the mentor, but thats about as close as you can get to research until you are 18 and L2. If I am wrong here, I am sure someone will correct me. Kevin??

Matt, as a TMP authorized member, you can work with your mentor to fly at your mentor's certification level.

So, if your mentor makes mentors at lets you help at a mixing party, the two of you can work together to fly one of the motors as well.

Note that "mentor" doesn't just mean their name on the flight card. The mentor is involved in flight prep, needs to be there for RSO and at the pads. That doesn't mean you can't do most (if not all) of the work. But it does mean that you shouldn't be prepping a rocket off by yourself, then only hooking up with the mentor long enough to get their name on the flight card.

-Kevin

you are allowed to conduct flights from the high power pads at a research launch.

https://www.tripoli.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=dwhtBHGL9Zc=&tabid=38

I really don't think you're going to find it as clear as you want it to be. Why else would they be allowed at the high power pads at a research launch..other then to launch a high power research flight. It all boils down to the name on the flight card. They are responsible for the flight. Not the Junior TRA member.

When I mentor a kid I do all the ejection charges and igniters.

Tony

Last edited:
Tony it says he can be at the pads. This was intended to allow him to fly commercial motors or be part of a project. Bottom line here is, you have to be 18 and L2 to fly research. Now as a mentor, I would have no problem being with someone as they prep their rocket to fly one of my research motors, but I would have to be involved in all prep and launch activities. Matt, I'm not trying to keep you out of research, we just have to follow the rules.

Tony it says he can be at the pads. This was intended to allow him to fly commercial motors or be part of a project. Bottom line here is, you have to be 18 and L2 to fly research. Now as a mentor, I would have no problem being with someone as they prep their rocket to fly one of my research motors, but I would have to be involved in all prep and launch activities. Matt, I'm not trying to keep you out of research, we just have to follow the rules.

It's designed to allow junior members to participate in all Tripoli-sanctioned activities.

That said, it's not meant to allow (or encourage) junior members to make motors on their own.

That shouldn't be happening, at all. If a junior member wants to be involved in making motors, they should be involved with an experience Research flier, and flying those motors with that person as the mentor.

Except in specific circumstances, if a junior motor came to me with a Research motor and asked me to be their mentor for flying it, I'd say No. However, if a junior member worked with someone I knew to make a motor, and that person couldn't be there to mentor the flight and coordinated with me in advance to mentor the flight, then I would consider it.

-Kevin

I've been mentoring a local kid as part of his "senior high school project". Over the past 3 months we've hand laid a 54mm body tube and nose cone. The rocket is a 54mm min dia. Our goal is 20K and mach 2 with onboard video. We made the motor an L990. He understands how the surgical tubing works and our home made reefing system. As I stated above I will be handling and making all of the ejection charges and igniter. I've been giving him homework and he has been able to answer all my questions. He got 100% on the TRA mentoring test. Before we take the rocket through RSO, I will be telling the RSO to put him through the wringer when we come through. Because my name and signature is on the flight card I will be 100% responsible for the flight. We will be flying this Friday at XPRS.

Jeremy plans to certify TRA L1 with this rocket in December when he turns 18.

Tony

Jim, just letting my mind wander and it came back to this thread...

One thing that's most relevant is that you, as a mentor, have the right to refuse to participate in flying any rocket, for any reason. If you, as a mentor, do not believe that junior members should not be flying Research motors, then you are fully within your rights to not assist a junior member in doing so.

No mentor should ever feel pressured to do something they're not comfortable with, or don't believe is right.

-Kevin

Back