Dumb Aerotech 24/40 question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouch

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of the 24/40 cases for a small build. I was under the impression that Aeortech stopped making the Copperheads but most of the loads I see for it says they come with Copperheads. Is it a matter of using up all the old stock stuff packaged with the Copperheads? Are they making new reloads with other ignitors instead of Copperheads. I am a complete Aerotech dummy having never flown one but they look kinda fiddly and fun. Thanks!

You will find different reloads with Firstfire JR. igniters in them. Copperheads aren't as bad as a lot of people think, however. The worst with them is straightening the bend in the wires. If you're not careful you can break the wire or cause a short. I like to split the wires so you don't have to use tape or the special Aerotech clip.

A lighter or match will supply enough heat to burn the glue that holds the 2 strips of copper together and then there are no worries about special clips.

I've only done ten Composite Motor Launches, all Aerotech Single Use G-40s' and 80s', back in 2000-2001, and I used the Copperhead Ignitors that came with them each time. Never had a single problem.
It was before I knew about how to use the Internet, and I had nobody to tell me that there was any other way, or type of Ignitors for Composites, so that's probably why they worked just fine with the Aerotech Yellow Clip Thingy on the Aerotech Controller.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of the 24/40 cases for a small build. I was under the impression that Aeortech stopped making the Copperheads but most of the loads I see for it says they come with Copperheads. Is it a matter of using up all the old stock stuff packaged with the Copperheads? Are they making new reloads with other ignitors instead of Copperheads. I am a complete Aerotech dummy having never flown one but they look kinda fiddly and fun. Thanks!

Yes.

I'll second the sentiment that copperheads are not as bad as everyone says...just handle them gently. And, reloads are indeed fiddly and fun; I kinda like putting them together.

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered a case. I am kinda liking the idea of small and cheap for local club launches. I like the idea of a minimum diameter but the delays seem a little short for that. I guess the hunt is on for something to fly it in.

I will add this, i have lots of flights on that case, if you are going to fly E18 don't use a copperhead. Why... the nozzle is sooo small believe it or not the copper heads melts plugs the nozzle and spits the aft closure wrecking the threads on the tube. I have had many an argument over that statement but i have seen it ALL to often! switched to thin wire igniter no boom.

Copper heads are fine, if you are very gentle have the patience of a Saint and dont fiddle with them, who has time for that on the range.
should mention Ken Allen of performance hobbies sells a thin wire igniter that works perfectly in those little nozzels

I'm a relative n00b to reloads, and I've got several successful flights on a 24/40, including one with a copperhead. For all I've heard them badmouthed, I've yet to have a problem (knock on wood).

These are great fun, too. I flew my Badd Azz Myzztic with an F39-9 at NARAM, and it is a hoot! Two more reloads left, for my club's night launch this year.

I will say this about that with regards to composite reloads and minimum diameter rockets. Don't do it on a windy day! My Corona + D13 = bye-bye to my brand new casing, rocket, and nylon chute. Although it was fun to bring it to the pad, and see the RSO's momentary confusion about a 18mm D. That was the 18/20 casing. Which, BTW, you can get $9.99 reloads for from Aerotech directly. With first-fire jr. igniters.

And, the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask, causing you to cato, lose your rocket, or just plain look bad.

I bought my first 24/40 case in 2004. I've never lit them with anything but copperheads. I got no complaints.

The F24W in an Estes StormCaster is a fantastic combo.

The pack of E18's and F12's that I received from Apogee a few weeks ago all had first fire jr's, no copperheads.

-Hans

I ordered some E18s from Hobbylinc 2-3 weeks ago and they came with First Fires. Launched two of them without problems last weekend. One guy burned through a couple of Copperheads in a 29mm motor before someone gave him a First Fire that lit on the first try.

All of your Copperheads am are belong to me! Copperheads are awesome.

A lighter or match will supply enough heat to burn the glue that holds the 2 strips of copper together and then there are no worries about special clips.

+1 on this, then check igniter resistance with multimeter and your success will be high.

Just used a "First Fire Jr." for the first time recently, and it did'nt work. I had to replace it with an Estes Sonic Igniter.

Here's what it did.:

[video=youtube;DK7iI3qqR94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7iI3qqR94[/video]

Last edited:
They probably just haven't changed the ad copy. F39's, with their big nozzles, come with FF Jr's now and F24's w/ FF 3" or whatever they're called, looks like redipped Sonics incl. the prestripped wire.

My first attempt with a E28 in the 24/40 was an exercise in frustration, using a copperhead, made 3 attempts switch to First Fires..whoosh. The next two motors with copperheads...whoosh like their supposed to, so I had a bad Copper on the first one.

the last pkg of F12 reloads I bought came w/ the new version starters, was pleasantly surprised to find that they fit through the nozzle(tight squeak for the head), and it worked :).
Rex

Yep, I have purchased a few reloads where the ad said copperhead igniter included but they came with first fire's.

I used to fly a LOT of 24/40 reloads back when I did mostly low power. Then one day the case went missing along with the rocket I flew it in! I never had good experiences with Copperheads (aka crapperheads), but my method was to use masking tape on both sides of the copper foil before I started dipping my own igniters. Glad Aerotech is moving away from Copperheads though...

I've heard several reports of E28T's CATOing on the pad. My experience was that it popped the aft closure off on ignition. From where we were standing, it just looked like it spit the igniter. But when returning to the pad with a new igniter, we saw that the contents of the entire motor were scattered around the pad area and the aft closure was dinged all to hell from bouncing off the blast shield. Not sure if my experience (again a long time ago) was just a bad batch or ????

And yes, reloads ARE fun!

The F24W in an Estes StormCaster is a fantastic combo.
Another combination I loved doing was the F12J in a Stormcaster. I swear that motor would just burn, and burn, and burn...

If you don't want to muck with tape or special clips when using Copperheads (and if your ignitor clips aren't too big), wrap the Copperhead around one clip and hold it in place with the other.

I used to fly a LOT of 24/40 reloads back when I did mostly low power. Then one day the case went missing along with the rocket I flew it in! I never had good experiences with Copperheads (aka crapperheads), but my method was to use masking tape on both sides of the copper foil before I started dipping my own igniters. Glad Aerotech is moving away from Copperheads though...

I've heard several reports of E28T's CATOing on the pad. My experience was that it popped the aft closure off on ignition. From where we were standing, it just looked like it spit the igniter. But when returning to the pad with a new igniter, we saw that the contents of the entire motor were scattered around the pad area and the aft closure was dinged all to hell from bouncing off the blast shield. Not sure if my experience (again a long time ago) was just a bad batch or ????

And yes, reloads ARE fun!

Another combination I loved doing was the F12J in a Stormcaster. I swear that motor would just burn, and burn, and burn...

That is funny... I had the exact same problem with my 24/40 case at Freedom Launch 2013... :(

Just used a "First Fire Jr." for the first time recently, and it did'nt work. I had to replace it with an Estes Sonic Igniter.

Here's what it did.:

Welcome to the spit igniter club!

[YOUTUBE]PUycLV2X3wU[/YOUTUBE]

P1010270.JPG

P1080602_edit.jpg

There are several ways to connect to Copperheads. You can use Aerotech's Interlock clip (or a homemade version like LUNAR uses). You can use a piece of thick paper or cardstock with a hole in it. You can use two pieces of tape. Or you can use the lighter/match method. The key to all methods is that each clip only contacts one side of the lead.

07_interlock.jpg

08_interlock.jpg

09_paper.jpg

10_paper.jpg

11_tape.jpg

12_lighter.jpg

13_lighter.jpg

Back