buying a fruity chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not in this lifetime. I was going to buy a 36 and 42" with my next check but decided to pass on it now.

Gene's a great guy and a has a great product,; but his new prices are more than what I had in my budget.

Has anyone used the Wildman Recon Chutes. Tim has the chutes listed for the weight of the rocket, but how do I get an accurate descent rate?

Last edited:
I hadn't seen there was a price increase. I just looked, and they seemed to be roughly the same?

Regardless, I don't skimp on recovery components, and in my humble opinion the Fruity Chutes are quite reasonably priced for their spectacular quality.

As for value for the dollar, it's triple the weight and volume to gain equivalent performance using a popular 4-line parachute vs the Iris - and the prices are quite close.

<shrugs> I am a firm believer in choices, however. It's nice there are quite a few when it comes to rocketry recovery equipment!

All the best, James

Just ordered a 30" Iris and a 16" Tarc for my project

just a guess; probably 19 ft/sec. however one could try asking Tim or Crossfire(topflightrecovery)
Rex

I will agree that when first perusing the Fruity Chute web site, there certainly is a bit of sticker shock.

I believe it is instructive to compare apples to apples, though (descent rate for equivalent suspended load).

For example, here's the observed performance from last year's testing for my L3 design project:

ManufacturerFruityChuteSkyAngle
ModelIris 72Cert3 XL
Load15 kg15 kg
Descent Rate17.2 fps16.8 fps
Mass0.38 kg1.25 kg

These two parachutes are within $1 in price, so although $188 is indeed a lot of money, I wouldn't say they are overpriced.

All the best, James

I have a 60" Iris chute and a 40 or 50" Recon chute.
The Recon chute was for my Mad Dog 6.0" rocket's nose cone / free bag setup.

It came down close to the rocket after deploying at 1000 ft.
The decent rate matched that of the booster.
I don't know who makes the Recon chutes but it seems pretty durable.

+2 for Sky Angle!
I have many Sky Angle and would have bought another one but, was in a pinch.
FYI: Pam still makes Classic I chutes..... Just give her a call.

JD

If you want near-equivalent to Fruity for much cheaper, check Spherachutes. The new LT's are made out of the same low-porosity ripstop that Fruity's are, and they're made just as well. The main difference is that there is no bridle, which is sometimes handy because if it tangles to all heck, you can just untie the knot.

The LT's are on sale right now. I bought a 96", which packs almost as tight as the 60" Fruity Iris I have used before, for 90 dollars.

If you want near-equivalent to Fruity for much cheaper, check Spherachutes. The new LT's are made out of the same low-porosity ripstop that Fruity's are, and they're made just as well. The main difference is that there is no bridle, which is sometimes handy because if it tangles to all heck, you can just untie the knot.

The LT's are on sale right now. I bought a 96", which packs almost as tight as the 60" Fruity Iris I have used before, for 90 dollars.

I'll check them out

I like my fruity chute. It was about the only chute the size I needed for the area that I had to pack it in for the descent rate I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Do you know off hand what the CD is on their chutes. They look nice and I can like he without a bridle for their prices. I went on their sight with my phone so not sure how much can be displayed. I'll check them out later when in front of my PC

Do you know off hand what the CD is on their chutes. They look nice and I can like he without a bridle for their prices. I went on their sight with my phone so not sure how much can be displayed. I'll check them out later when in front of my PC

It's 0.8 with respect to the given diameter in inches. Just plug the nominal diameter into OpenRocket and leave it at the default CD, and it'll be just about correct. You can check the descent charts, though I imagine the zero-porosity ones actually outperform the normal ones slightly.

Just as a note: Fruity Chutes gives their CD and diameters according to the area of the opening, which is smaller than the over-the-top-of-the-canopy measurement of other manufacturers. That's why they claim higher CD's: the parachute isn't actually any smaller. the 72" Fruity Chute is roughly the same size as the 96" Spherachute.

EDIT: https://spherachutes.com/chart.asp is the descent rate chart.

I looked at the descent rate chart and I'm probably going to go with a 36" considering the SUMO I'll be using it for comes in at 2.75lbs (loaded)

They are definitely nice looking chutes

Top Flight makes the Recon chutes, ask Gary. Hope that wasn't supposed to be a secret...

Fruity chutes are great, I have four of them. Just bought another 30" to replace the one I lost in the trees along with my Minie-Magg

{everybody (pretty much) knows where I stand on this, but...}

Just as a note: Fruity Chutes gives their CD and diameters according to the area of the opening, which is smaller than the over-the-top-of-the-canopy measurement of other manufacturers. That's why they claim higher CD's: the parachute isn't actually any smaller.

Then, *by definition* the Cd of the two canopies are the same - and, what I'm getting is that these two...

... the 72" Fruity Chute is roughly the same size as the 96" Spherachute.

... give 'roughly' the same descent rate. If they have the same fabric area and the same descent rate, then the Cd canNOT be different.

We *really* need to get some accurate measurements of the fabric areas in these canopies so we can establish an *accurate* "nominal" (that's a precise term) diameter (and, from that, an accurate 'Cdo'). There's too much 'roughly' in all this.

-- john.

+2 for Sky Angle!

FYI: Pam still makes Classic I chutes..... Just give her a call.

JD

She sure does . . . I finally got the two sizes I didn't have. She did ask me if I wanted Classic I or Classic II . . . so I wonder if both aren't still possible to get.

Excuse me for the "Pricey" comment regarding Fruity Chutes . . . my experience was coming from the smaller chutes, of which I have one coming.

{everybody (pretty much) knows where I stand on this, but...}

Then, *by definition* the Cd of the two canopies are the same - and, what I'm getting is that these two...

... give 'roughly' the same descent rate. If they have the same fabric area and the same descent rate, then the Cd canNOT be different.

We *really* need to get some accurate measurements of the fabric areas in these canopies so we can establish an *accurate* "nominal" (that's a precise term) diameter (and, from that, an accurate 'Cdo'). There's too much 'roughly' in all this.

-- john.

I am speaking in layman's terms: as to what you plug into, say, OpenRocket.

If I use the given diameter for a Fruity Chute, I tell OpenRocket that the CD is 1.6 (or 2.2 for a toroidal). If I use the given diameter for a Spherachute or a Top Flight, I tell OpenRocket that the CD is 0.8.

I looked at the descent rate chart and I'm probably going to go with a 36" considering the SUMO I'll be using it for comes in at 2.75lbs (loaded)

They are definitely nice looking chutes

Maybe I'm naive or just cheap, but I have been using a TFR 36" standard chute for my Sumo. I can't see why I would need something that costs 10X as much.

Maybe I'm naive or just cheap, but I have been using a TFR 36" standard chute for my Sumo. I can't see why I would need something that costs 10X as much.

Sorry, I was referring to the FruityChutes, not the Spherachutes, which seem very reasonable.

Fruity was sold out of everything I needed for my current build. Went with TopFlight, with luck chutes will arrive this week. Ordered a 78" and a 24" for this particular DD rocket.

I'll make a plug fro my wife...

Take a look at a CATO-Chute

https://www.cato-chutes.com/

While she does not have CD posted, I can tell you they are nice high drag spherical parachutes. One thing to keep in mind is hers are measured across the opening as opposed to across the top. This give a somewhat larger surface area than you expect for the size reference.

They also have the warranted against anything except

Incineration
Hanging in a tree
Deployment at full velocity

(and the latter two she will give fixing a try - once you get the one out of the tree back)

Last edited:
I'll make a plug fro my wife...

Take a look at a CATO-Chute

https://www.cato-chutes.com/

While she does not have CD posted, I can tell you they are nice high drag spherical parachutes. One thing to keep in mind is hers are measured across the opening as opposed to across the top. This give a somewhat larger surface area than you expect for the size reference.

They also have the warranted against anything except

Incineration
Hanging in a tree
Deployment at full velocity

(and the latter two she will give fixing a try - once you get the one out of the tree back)

Nice website nice chutes

I have to put in a positive word for Fruitychutes. I firmly believe that if you want the best you will go with fruity chutes. I have a 72 inch Iris with a deployment bag. I have used it several times and it has deployed flawlessly. Not only that but it packs into a tiny package, it has an excellent drag coefficient. I think that the boost is very exciting but seeing that beautiful Fruitychute deploy is very much worth the price of admission, and I know that I will get my rocket back safely.

I have to put in a positive word for Fruitychutes. I firmly believe that if you want the best you will go with fruity chutes. I have a 72 inch Iris with a deployment bag. I have used it several times and it has deployed flawlessly. Not only that but it packs into a tiny package, it has an excellent drag coefficient. I think that the boost is very exciting but seeing that beautiful Fruitychute deploy is very much worth the price of admission, and I know that I will get my rocket back safely.

Fruity chutes are a quality chutes and I agree you have to pay if you want quality, but IMHO I think the price is one sided as compared to other manufacturers out there that offer similar quality chutes using the same type of materials. Yes each manufacturer differs in certain areas. but for me I can't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on a chute.

A month or so ago, I was in the market for a 'chute for my L3. I went for an Iris Ultra in 72". The quality is amazing. It packs into 5" length of 4" tubing, including shroud lines, shock cord and nomex blanket. It weighs less than the 54" Recon Recovery 'chute that I have.

For my $$$ I believe that I could not have got a better parachute. Best rocket insurance that money can buy. If you don't get the best parachute or electronics you can afford, then how much value are you giving your rockets?

A month or so ago, I was in the market for a 'chute for my L3. I went for an Iris Ultra in 72". The quality is amazing. It packs into 5" length of 4" tubing, including shroud lines, shock cord and nomex blanket. It weighs less than the 54" Recon Recovery 'chute that I have.

For my $$$ I believe that I could not have got a better parachute. Best rocket insurance that money can buy. If you don't get the best parachute or electronics you can afford, then how much value are you giving your rockets?

I don't have that kind of money to spend on a chute ....... because I don't I won't and I'll get something comparable in quality and performance. There are a lot of companies that make chutes. I can buy a 60" military chute for $12 that will work and get the job done. I think both CATO chutes and Spherachutes make quality chutes that are very close to a Fruity chutes. The money I save by not spending a ridiculous amount on a parachute I can buy electronics, motors, materials etc. I have a budget and a $150 chute is not part of it. Didn't Steve Eves use 3 military chutes on his SV. I'm sure his skills are above and beyond most of ours and he managed to get his expensive rocket down. In fact he stuck the landing.

I don't have that kind of money to spend on a chute ....... because I don't I won't and I'll get something comparable in quality and performance. There are a lot of companies that make chutes. I can buy a 60" military chute for $12 that will work and get the job done. I think both CATO chutes and Spherachutes make quality chutes that are very close to a Fruity chutes. The money I save by not spending a ridiculous amount on a parachute I can buy electronics, motors, materials etc. I have a budget and a $150 chute is not part of it. Didn't Steve Eves use 3 military chutes on his SV. I'm sure his skills are above and beyond most of ours and he managed to get his expensive rocket down. In fact he stuck the landing.

Oh, don't get me wrong, for a different project, with a different budget, I would have gone for a completely different chute. I am just saying that for what I wanted for this particular project, this chute was perfect!

Back