buying a fruity chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have plenty of space, get what gets the job done at the price you feel comfortable with. If you have limited space, the Iris Ultra Fruity Chutes are worth a look. I'm happy with mine (and the D-Bag). Will be buying another.

Gratuitous rocket pic (by Leigh Metzroth). Every thread should have them. ;)

https://www.lmetzroth.net.au/images/june-2014-westmar-saturday/IMG_9775.jpg

Edit: OK, that is a big pic. Click on the link if you are interested.

The Fruities are great chutes but so are CATO, TF, Spheras and others. It's a matter of what you feel comfortable with for the project and what you like. WHen I started flying, I bought 3 Fruities. I picked up a 12", 18" and 24". I like them but going forward I have found better options for my needs. I am starting to lean towards my rockets and chutes being somewhat expendable. While I don't want to see them damaged, I know it is going to happen and there is nothing I can do about it. My pretty chute will land in a stinking mud hole from time to time and get stained or it may get ripped or burnt. I know this because all have happened happened. That is why for the things I fly, I have actually gone back to panel chutes. They work well, pack small and little love lost if one should get fully destroyed. I keep thinking one day I will sell the Fruits to free up some cash for other things but haven't gotten around to it. I have stopped flying them while they still look awesome.

The Fruities are great chutes but so are CATO, TF, Spheras and others. It's a matter of what you feel comfortable with for the project and what you like. WHen I started flying, I bought 3 Fruities. I picked up a 12", 18" and 24". I like them but going forward I have found better options for my needs. I am starting to lean towards my rockets and chutes being somewhat expendable. While I don't want to see them damaged, I know it is going to happen and there is nothing I can do about it. My pretty chute will land in a stinking mud hole from time to time and get stained or it may get ripped or burnt. I know this because all have happened happened. That is why for the things I fly, I have actually gone back to panel chutes. They work well, pack small and little love lost if one should get fully destroyed. I keep thinking one day I will sell the Fruits to free up some cash for other things but haven't gotten around to it. I have stopped flying them while they still look awesome.

You make and excellent point. I have a couple Fruity chutes but smaller TARC chutes 20" and 24" and I'm very pleased with their performance as is everyone who owns them. but depending on the project at hand and budget it seems the more expensive classic chutes won't do it. You are right chutes are expendable and as long as they are packed correctly there's a good chance they will open as planned.

Back