Finally finished my SUMO (Ready for my L1 launch)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After much time and work I finally completed my SUMO. This is one build that I learned a lot from; mostly how to paint and finish a rocket and the time it takes to get a mirror like finish.

I'll be flying it on an H250G-10 estimated altitude 2100' and 22mph for the velocity at deployment. I still need to buy the reload and the case from Wildman. Recovery on the rocket is pretty much stock. I sewn loops (using Kevlar thread) at the ends of the shock cord for attachment points. The hardware consists of (2) 3/16" quick links and a 1000lb barrel swivel. I upgraded the chute to a 45" Top Flight and motor retention is the ESTES screw on retainer. I never used this retainer and I was tempted to go with Aeropack. but heard that the ESTES for the money is a good retainer and will hold up. I'll also be using a 12x12 Nomex blanket for the chute and 36" Nomex sleeve for the shock cord. I didn't feel comfortable going with the piston. Maybe on a future build I'll use it.

As far as finishing the rocket. Lots of hours! I used all Duplicolor primers and paints and broke out my detailing supplies for the final rubbing out and polishing process. This is my first time spending this much time on finishing a rocket and just did it to see what kind of results I would get. I'm pretty happy. but I know there's always room for improvement. I'm over building for awhile...now I just want to launch the fleet I have....

20140908_090104.jpg20140908_090217.jpg20140908_090055.jpg20140908_090225.jpg20140908_090505.jpg20140908_090707.jpg20140908_090724.jpg20140908_085241.jpg

Oh that is way too purdy for the desert!! :eyepop:

Nice job! I love shiny rockets.

Personally I don't think I could launch a bird like that out here. I'd need one of those alien green and "fluffy" surfaces they have back East and in the Mid-West.

Jerome :)

Oh that is way too purdy for the desert!! :eyepop:

Nice job! I love shiny rockets.

Personally I don't think I could launch a bird like that out here. I'd need one of those alien green and "fluffy" surfaces they have back East and in the Mid-West.

Jerome :)

Its going up...not concerned about scratches just want a successful flight.

She's Amazing/Beatiful!!! Nice Work! :clap:
I too, would only fly something that pretty over Grassy Fields.

I've got my Level 1 bird sitting in my garage ready to go! It's just in white primer though. I wanted to get it all painted up but I used that Valspar crap primer and it took 2 months to stop offgasing. So I figured i'd launch semi-naked at ROCStock last June. Got my motor Saturday night. Woke up early Sunday (camped out on the lake bed). i was just about to open my motor to build it when they shut down the launch and packed it up! Grrr.. I was thinking about going to this month's launch on Saturday, but with the rain yesterday and today... I don't know.

Jerome

I've got my Level 1 bird sitting in my garage ready to go! It's just in white primer though. I wanted to get it all painted up but I used that Valspar crap primer and it took 2 months to stop offgasing. So I figured i'd launch semi-naked at ROCStock last June. Got my motor Saturday night. Woke up early Sunday (camped out on the lake bed). i was just about to open my motor to build it when they shut down the launch and packed it up! Grrr.. I was thinking about going to this month's launch on Saturday, but with the rain yesterday and today... I don't know.

Jerome

I'm going in November gonna drag race my friends GFORCE...both cert flights

Very cool I still have mine to build ,kind of have the fins and a nose cone . Going 38mm

Back